3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: FF String  (Read 632 times)

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
FF String
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
Looking to get a new string for my longbow.  I have ordered several string from Allen at Ten Ring strings and they are great.  I know a lot of people like SBD strings.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of BCY D-10 string versus the Brownell Fury string. Thanks for any help you can provide.  Ken

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: FF String
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
I've bought strings from both. Top quality all around and I don't have a huge preference for either material. Most of my bows are quite low powered (see my avatar) and I feel (with no scientific justification) that the skinnier string buys my just a tiny bit more power. If I had easy access to a chronograph I'd like to compare the two strings through the same chrono, with the same arrow from the same bow, but I'd bet there is less difference than there is between a good release and a perfect release.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
You have three basic types of string material:  Polyester ("Dacron"), B-55 and B-50; HMPE (High Modulus Polyethylene, aka UHMWPE), Dynaflight '97, 8125G, 8190 Universal, 8190F, Fast Flight, Fury;  and HMPE/Vectran blends, BCY-X, 452X, 450+, etc.

One of the most respected brands of HMPE is Dyneema, which comes in different grades or deniers.

To get to the question, Dynaflight 10 is SK78 Dyneema.  Fury is supposed to be SK90 Dyneema.  The higher the grade, the more durable and less stretch, but the difference between the two isn't that big.

A good string can be made from either one--depends on your personal preferances.  My favorite material to date is BCY-X (17% Vectran, 83% SK90 Dyneema).  Very durable, very consistent, and quiet.  It's patented, and the only material of it's kind on the market.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
I've been making my own strings for over 20 years now.I like try many different string materials and have.From the original Brownell Fast Flight to D97,8125,8190,Ultra Cam,450+ and now BCY-X.My favorite and the best in my opinion BCY-X is a great string material.I've done skinny strings for a bit and different strand counts for many different strings.Now I make all my strings for my 45# to 60# longbows 18 strand BCY-X with 22 strands in the loops and served with .021 Halo.There are so many different materials out there these days its hard to pick one as they all have different qualities.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
JRY has good advice.  I've been making strings for a little over 20 years myself, most of that time commercially, but I've been a loyal BCY customer for most of that time also so most of my experience is with their materials.

I do study all the different string materials as best I can.  Brownell isn't nearly as revealing as to what is in theirs as BCY is (BCY has it listed on their site).

Here's a basic rundown on the characteristics of the different materials.  Consider there are lots of variables, from strand count to string build to draw weight, etc.  Some of the following is opinion based on my personal experience, but most of it is fact and easily verified.

Polyester/Dacron:  Safe for any bow.  In my opinion the most aggravating materials to work with, because of the amount of elasticity.  B-55 is made from a higher grade of polyester than B-50, but it can still be tricky.  Felt handshock appears to be the worst with this type material.  B-55 and B-50 are the only two bowstring materials I know of that are still made with polyester.  Dacron is just a trade name for DuPont's brand of polyester.

HMPE/Dyneema:  High Modulus Polyethylene, also known as UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene).  Another popular brand name is Spectra, but there are lots of Chinese knock-offs that are not consistent.  The strongest and most durable man-made fiber available.  Currently the highest grade is SK90.  Original "Fast Flight" (invented by the founders of BCY when they worked for Brownell, Ray Browne and Bob Destin) is SK65 Spectra.  The original formula is still available from BCY as 652 Spectra.

This material continues to evolve and improve.  Many very popular bowstring materials are still made with 100% Dyneema:  Dynaflight '97 and Formula 8125 (SK75), 8190F and 8190 Universal (SK90).  The fastest (lightest) material, but prone to a little stretch/creep when exposed to high temps, especially in lower strand count strings and/or higher draw weight bows.  Felt hand shock seems to be greatly reduced with these materials, at least in some bows.

HMPE Blends:  Every blend I know of on the market currently contains Vectran (in different percentages).  Vectran is a Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP).  It's in the same family as Kevlar, and similar to Kevlar you can't make a string material from 100% Vectran.  Flexed over and over in the same place (i.e., the nock point) it will eventually break with no warning.  However, properly blended with HMPE it makes a very consistent and stable bowstring that is only slightly slower than a 100% HMPE material (due to the Vectran being a heavier material).  In my experience, these materials are also quieter.  Some of these are BCY-X (17% Vectran, 83% SK90 Dyneema), 452X (33% Vectran, 67% SK75 Dyneema), and 450+ (30% Vectran, 70% DK75 Dyneema).  The first blended material was invented by one of the founders of BCY, Bob Destin, who is also the co-inventor of the original Fast Flight string material.  Like 100% HMPE materials, felt hand shock seems to be greatly reduced with these materials, at least in some bows.

Hope this helps.  I love to talk string materials!

Chad

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
And like I said on other site, I am very pleased with the two BCY X strings Chad made me.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
I appreciate the good word!  IMO BCY nailed it with BCY-X...at least until the next innovation rolls around!

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate your help!  Ken

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©