3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you use your binoculars?  (Read 814 times)

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you use your binoculars?
« on: May 20, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
First of all do you use binoculars?

What brand, model, size?

How do you carry them around in the field/woods?

Do you have a harness that works well for you?

I have been using a Bushnell Compact 7x26 National Audubon model for over 35 years. If you have ever seen pictures of M R James of Bowhunter in the field he has used the same model for years also.

I always take them hunting, hanging from my neck, but admit I don't use them as much or as effectively as I should partly because it's a pain to continually take them out and tuck back into my coat. I mostly still hunt big woods and patches of heavy cover and also use them while going from point a to b when not actually in hunt mode - sometimes.

Any tips to better control and manage binoculars to get the most utility while hunting?

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you use your binoculars?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
I always carry binoculars. The few times a forgot them, I hated it.  I like quality glass: high end Nikons 8x42 or Leica 7x42. Have a pair of 10x40 Zeiss but only use them out west.  I usually use a harness like bino-buddies.  Don't like them swing around by a strap

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
I always have binos on me no matter what I am hunting.  I absolutely hate it if I ever forget them!  For whitetails and closer range game I carry a pair of Vortex 6x32, and for out west or longer range areas I have a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42.  

I'll be completely honest - on many hunts, whitetails from a treestand for example, I can't really say they are essential to helping me actually take game most of the time.  Usually, what is going to come is going to come, and if they get close enough to shoot I don't really need the binos.  

But I really enjoy being able to check things out that are not in range - it simply greatly increases my enjoyment in the field.  They really help to be able to see deeper into the brush.  And once in awhile I might identify a nice buck that I couldn't have seen clearly otherwise and will then use a grunt call or rattle horns in an effort to bring him closer.

Out west is a whole different ball game, and in that case I really do use them not only to find animals, but to plan stalking routes, etc.  

As for how to carry them, I always want them handy.  My smaller pair I carry with a chest harness strap that keeps them tight to my chest.  My bigger pair I like in a covered bino harness.  I've used Badlands, KUIU, and just recently picked up an Alaska Guide Creations harness that I think I will really like.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
I always carry my 8x30 Swarovskis with me hunting. I feel lost without them I've had this pair 25 years and they are still going strong.
Whitetail hunting I use them to check out a movement in the brush I can't see with the naked eye or I watch deer or any game at a distance. Sometimes its just to observe but it's enjoyable.
When I head west i use them or my 10x42 Kahles and they are used to look over country, spot game, plan a stalk.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
I have 10x30 Swarovskis that I use a bunch. They may not be the best at very low light conditions, but are light enough where I don't question using them.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
Would not get out of the truck without my "glass".  US  Army field artillery school taught forward observers how to grip and use binos.  Worked in RVN and works every year out here in the west.  Back east I used them to investigate movement or noise, out here you use them to locate and identify game.  We also use them to chart out routes for a stalk.
I use a harness.
Buy the best glass you can afford, as nuance in shadows will give you a stalk, but poor glass may not give you that definition you need.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
I have a pretty basic and utilitarian pair of Steiners that I am hardly ever without.  I wear them on a harness and use them all of the time.  Generally, I am an eastern treestand hunter, but I can't tell you how much more enjoyable the whole experience is being able to check out the acorn crop, birds, distant deer, etc.  I always glass fields and treelines before I approach them.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
I have a pair of Leupold 10X40's.  They are good field glasses for around $400.  I wear a cabellas Bino harness that works pretty good.  I have been looking for good lens caps that won't get lost, because it sucks dragging them around in the dirt when sneaking up on something.  I use to leave my binos with my pack when I started a stalk, but has been more then once when I started getting close that I needed them to relocate deer.  When hunting through thick brush for elk, It is amazing how much better you can look at the path ahead with more than your naked eye.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Mine are Burris (pre buy out) 8x42. Low light performance is huge. I tested mine against Nikons and these won.
 I use mine to glass open parks and mountain sides. I also use them in the timber sometimes as situations require. I am not a glass the woods in front of you all day long guy though.

Regarding power- I find that 10x is much harder to steady when hunting hard at elevation and I can see what I need to see just fine across a drainage at 8x. Is it a bull elk or not a nice mulie or not. Sure it would be neat to count hairs and see drool out the bulls nose but you pay for that in xtra weight and less low light performance. Wanna see drool and count points?
Get closer!
I use no special harness. Experiment with the strap and your arm/elbow/chest/shoulder and your hunting shirt, you will find a quick and sure way to keep them handy but quiet without more special gear to do that. I run the strap over my shoulder outside of upper arm- it is sorta like getting into the sling rifle hunting. Or I tuck into my shirt just so.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
I still have a pair of Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 as well.  Excellent glass for its time, and even now.  I now mostly carry a pair of Leica 8x32 Ultravids.  

Have my glasses on a short strap around my neck all the time.  Never in a pocket.  Can grab them with one hand and look at stuff quickly if I have to, but it's mostly the ease of access that enables me to use them a lot while still hunting to check out things I'm not quite sure about with the naked eye.

They come in handy even in a tree stand.  Lots of times, one might catch movement just at the outer range of vision.  The glasses help to see through the brush.

Binos and my bow are the two pieces of gear I won't leave home without.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
I'm with Whip in that I know they probably don't increase my chances for success when hunting whitetails, but it increases my enjoyment just because I can check out any and everything that makes a move.

I have a pair of Nikon Premier 10x42's that I carry in my pack and hang on the tree when I arrive at stand.

I will say they do help when a buck appears.  I like to be able to determine the general age of bucks before they get in range.

Especially since here MO not all bucks are legal.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 11:21:00 PM »
Bought some Swarovski slc HD 10x42 this year. They are amazing! New for this year I am using an Alaska Guide Creations Bino harness. It is bigger but doesn't get in the way. Has extra pockets for stuff so I like that as well. Will see how it works this year

Offline bbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Also I hunt clear cuts in western Oregon so I am sitting and spending time behind them. I bring them even on stand mostly out of habit. Doesn't feel like hunting without binos

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
I currently use Leupold BX-3 Mojave's in 10 x 50 and wouldn't be without them for whitetail hunting.  For bucks, I only hunt for mature bucks and like to check them out at a distance, if they give me the opportunity.  I also just like looking at deer or other animals when on walks, etc.

When coming out in the evening, I use them to scan any field I'm going to cross to see if anything is out there I might kick out.  They have excellent light transmission...not as good as the 7x42's I have, but good enough I can see if deer are in a dark field.

I have used harnesses and personally don't like them.  I just use a regular neck strap.

One thing I really like about these is that between the tubes is a good sized gap and the tubes are flat on the insides of that gap which makes these very easy to hold one-handed AND adjust with a finger from the same hand.  I can hold my bow in my left and easily manage the binocs with my right hand alone.

Leupold's service is second to none.  The pair before this was dropped from about 5 feet onto a cement floor right onto the twist-out eyecups and one of them 'froze' up.  I sent them to Leupold asking if they could be fixed and was surprised when I received a brand-new upgraded pair at no charge in just a little over a week. Service doesn't get any better than that!
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline 2-door

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 11:56:00 PM »
You need to up grade ! I use Vortex 8x42 and 12x50. I made my own lanyard of para cord in a cobra weave for the 8x42 and ware it  Bandolero style for spot snd stalk, the 12x50 i use an Alaska Guide Creations bino pack and can use either pair in it, which is the bomb, i just love it. Give Jerrett a call at Alaska Guide Creations when you settle on what binoculars to get they are great to deal with " high recommended "

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
I have some Bushnell 8x42's that I wear with an LL Bean harness.  I use them quite a bit, and feel naked hunting without them.

One thing I like is using my longbow as a "monopod" to hold them steady when possible.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Shooter#21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 01:55:00 AM »
Have used a cheap pair of compact Tasco binoculars around the neck for years while bird watching (one of my favorite hobbies) and also use them when still hunting for whitetails. They work fine.
Bear Super Kodiak 50 pounds
Samick Sage takedown 45 pounds
150 gr Grizzly single bevel

Offline elkhunter-27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 05:05:00 AM »
I have Zeiss 8x30s that I wear using a crooked horn that can be worn around the neck or with belt loops.  I prefer on the belt.  I gave a trad gang member my Alaska Guide harness, just wasn't using it.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 06:15:00 AM »
don't use em anymore i use to have a pair of  Bushnell   8 x 25 real good glass   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
What FlinNSteel said X2...Had a pair of Leupold that were ten years old,broke the eye cup off. Sent them in to be repaired and asked how to pay for repair...got a brand new pair back. Said that's what they do. Very impressed...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©