3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you use your binoculars?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you use your binoculars?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
I have some compact Zeiss I wear in my shirt pocket when Im deer hunting here.  My 10x50 Leupolds, Bushnell Elites, and Swarovskis I use out west with a harness strapped around my neck and chest.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
Swarovski 8x42, good compromise size for me. Bino harness to carry to keep them tight to chest. My pack fell out of the tree stand last year with binos in it, maybe 20 feet. Binos worked but were not as clear. Sent them back to Swarovski and they repaired them, cost me postage to them and they are about 20 years old. A great guarantee is important. They are with me on every hunt to see into the shadows and thick stuff for id game.

Glass is something you do't regret buying the best you can afford.
shoot straight shoot often

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »
Alaskan guide compacts for whitetails in the east and Nikon 7/32 for out west. My harness is a old military field jacket bottom elastic cord with two small snaps on each end that snaps into the loop at binoculars. Been using it for 40+ years.  It wouldn't work with really large binoculars though.

What binoculars do you guys find that works best with eyeglasses?
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
Like others have said, my binos are with me when ever I'm hunting anything.  I love my Swarovski 7x42s, great low light performance.  A few years ago bought Vortex 8x28 and for most of my hunting they are around my neck as they are almost half the weight of the Swarovskis.  

Most of my bino use is looking ahead when moving through the woods.  My eyes aren't what they used to be and binos almost make up for my lack of vision acuity.

As for carrying, I use a neck strap but shorten it so when I pull them up to my eyes there is almost no slack in the strap.  The end up riding just under my chin and out of the way.

I will agree that buying the best glass you can afford is money well spent.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
Stiener 8x30 predators, I like to walk a ridge with a good wind, zig and zag to the edges and glass down hill to look for feeding or bedded game. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But I always learn something in the process. I do use a harness, not sure of the brand.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
I generally sit in fairly thick woods in a tree stand, so I seldom use binoculars.
Sam

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
Use them all the time in midwest whitetail and turkey hunting.  Ranks up there with my knife and bow. I determine size of deer, do I want to call them in, get ready etc.  I have ambushed tons of turkeys- seeing that slight head in the brush before they see you is critical.  

Western hunting optics are essential.  You could hunt without them, but spending hours glassing is FAR more productive than wearing out the legs, spooking everything, and hoping you stumble into them.

8 (or 10) x 42 in the best glass you can afford seem to be the good all-around optic. Some type of harness (simple bino buddy to Alaska Creations, etc) that holds them close to the chest works great for all types of hunting- even in the treestand.

Of course- western hunting does open an entire optic discussion; scope, binocs, tripod, head etc.  Reading and listening to the newer podcast world on such issues is a great education. Be prepared to work some overtime or a part-time job.    :)  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:

...Of course- western hunting does open an entire optic discussion; scope, binocs, tripod, head etc. ...
I agree, though I concluded after using a tripod and spotting scope that for elk and deer these are just extra, unnecessary hassle and expense over binos. Goats and sheep notwithstanding.
Not intending to open a debate on this topic.

More to underscore how much can get done with a single set of optics, with reasonable low magnification and thus good light gathering for timber and for open slopes and across drainages. Even out West. We all tend to opt for more optional gear than less. Less optional gear is almost always better in the end, IMO.  

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
I cant stand to hunt with out my binoculars! I have 3 pair, a compact set of Swarovskis and a larger pair both 8 power. I feel I don't need any more than 8 power and I wiggle to much with 10x .I also have a pair of Leupold 10x in one of the trucks they never leave the vehicle so I am able to steady myself on the window or wheel. I use a harness on the swaros . I had a leather thong on a key ring from which hung one of my binos and carried them under my right arm, they would side effortlessly up the thong and were out of the way of shooting my bow, it worked great.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
Great responses. Guess I'm  not surprised with all the high end models mentioned as buy the best glass you can is always good advice. But what some can afford encompasses the whole range. I once tried out a pair of Swarovskis in a Bass Pro and it was amazing but not realistic for me. Will be using my Bushnell 7x26's for now as upgrading bow is next priority.

For someone looking for quality low end or first pair for a kid check out the Leupold Yosemite line of porro prism compacts. Come in 6x,8x and 10x. I got my grandson a pair of 6x online for half of what Cabelas and others sell for and was surprised with the quality for the cost - had great reviews too.

And to Hawkeye's question about using with eyeglasses, I also wear glasses and find folding down the eye cups that are std on all models positions the eye in the same relative position as
extended eye cups without glasses.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
For use with eyeglasses my swarovski rear eyepieces twist in to keep lens the right position from your eye. Also the diopter adjustment on one eye piece if I am not wearing glasses reduces eye strain for extended viewing.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 03:29:00 PM »
The Bushnell custom compacts of 25-30 years ago were and still are a high quality glass. When I bought mine, they were about $250, and that was about 30 years ago. No need to rush into upgrading them.  

They're a very good glass, as good as most available today, certainly in that size, except for the very high end stuff, and even the high end stuff isn't packaged in so small and light a package. Of course, the current Bushnell offerings don't compare.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
When Bowhunting I use Vortex 8X30.  Nice and compact.  Like Whip I like to be able to see deep in the briars and other thick stuff especially right at daybreak or dusk.  Before "deer thirty" they are usually hanging next to me.  For the first or final 30-45 minutes they are around my neck bandolier style .  The vortex has covers both front and back
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
I have 10x30 Swarovskis that I use a bunch. They may not be the best at very low light conditions, but are light enough where I don't question using them.

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
I can twist the eye cups down also, my problem is either smears, fog of needing to readjust my eye glasses.  Was much better before bifocals!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 10:11:00 PM »
I have 8X20 Zeiss that I use almost all the time for bowhunting. Just such a nice handy size and very good glass.

I do have a bigger pair of Swarovski for most everything else.  I had a pair of 10X40. Leica and  I liked them a lot but they were just heavy enough that I didn't want them hanging around my neck all day.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
I love my Vortex diamond backs with a bino diopter lock and Rick Young harness. Best I've used in a long time. Lifetime warranty is great too.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2016, 10:52:00 PM »
I use Nikon 10x42  on every hunt regardless of the  type of hunt.  Wouldn't think of hunting without binos.  But Montana has some wide open spaces.  Pretty tough to have a successful hunt out here without some decent glass.  

Tom

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
"Bought some Swarovski slc HD 10x42 this year. They are amazing! New for this year I am using an Alaska Guide Creations Bino harness. It is bigger but doesn't get in the way. Has extra pockets for stuff so I like that as well. Will see how it works this year"

X2 what bbell said. Although I find that I keep going to my 8x32 swaros more than my 10X42s.   They are lighter and good for most all I need in the field. Alaska Creations Bino Harnesses also offer smaller ones for smaller binos.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
I have a pair of Leupold Mojaves,  8 x 42, that I always take with me.  I wear them on a chest harness.  Great for watching birds and other critters when hunting is slow. Also very handy to see if there are antlers on the deer running away from me.  :dunno:
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©