3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Up Bow  (Read 738 times)

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Back Up Bow
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
As I posted on here when it happened my KMag failed last fall. I picked up a Martin for a second bow and after living with it a while I decided it wasn't for me and sold it. I'm back to only 1 bow and I have a decision to make. Should I pick up another Grizzly like the one I have now, should I get another KMag (Big Jim has/(had!) one on his site that would be perfect) or save my penny's and pick up a Widow (like the one a friend has). I made the switch to traditional 2.5 years ago & try to get some shooting in at least every other day. I still find if I change bows it takes some number of arrows to get on to it. So.....you guys with years and years under your belt would you recommend going with 2 of the same model or is variety the spice of life?     :confused:    I have no preference at all right now; if I went with 2 of the same bow it would be the Grizzly FWIW.
SWA Spyder

Re: Back Up Bow
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:00 AM »
I have two of the same. I have others as well, but when I go on a big hunt, I have my 2 go-to bows with me!

Bisch

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
If you really like the way a certain bow fits your hand and shoots for you, I would think you would do well to have your back up bow just like the original. However, if adapting to a different bow is a simple process for you, then getting a different bow might be more fun. I shoot Hill style bows and have 7 of them. They all shoot just a bout the same.
Sam

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I have two of the same. I have others as well, but when I go on a big hunt, I have my 2 go-to bows with me!

Bisch
X2

If I'm going on a hunt I take two of the same 100% of the time. Leading up I've been shooting those bows exclusively and if something happens while away I don't want to skip a beat. I know plenty of guys who do it other ways too so YMMV.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
I am pretty sure the "back up bow" argument is the early stage of bow buying disease.  I have been suffering from this affliction for decades and I have a vague memory it starting with that very thought.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
I have 2 of the same. I alternate them week to week so they don't get jealous.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »

If you are thinking about a Widow, all I can say is I don't regret my recent purchase at all!

I've loved every second of shooting this bow.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by GregD:
I am pretty sure the "back up bow" argument is the early stage of bow buying disease.  I have been suffering from this affliction for decades and I have a vague memory it starting with that very thought.
I know thats how it started for me.   :goldtooth:
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
By default I am using my "back up bow" now as just getting back into trad and using my old 29.00 when new Black Bear. Hadn't shot it in 30 yrs so going both eyes open vs closing dominant eye back then is basically starting from scratch. Look foward to upgrading and officially making this one the back up but hope to avoid the "disease" as well.

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by GregD:
OOOpps I have 4 backup bows,lol. Good justification to satisfy the needs of this affliction.

Like mentioned the same bow as a backup is probably the wisest choice, but some of us like shooting different style bows as the mood strikes.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline savagelh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
Imo. Life's too short and there are too many options out there to have two of the same bow. By all means have a backup but buy something new and exciting and maybe your grizzly will become a backup bow.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
I have a 2-3 bow limit, been a big TallTines fan and that's all I have maybe a third set of limbs. I'd recommend finding a bow you like and then trying to get a close duplicate.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
For extended trips, I use two of about the same draw weight so they each shoot the same arrows.  they may or may not be the same brand. Not an issue adjusting to the little changes between them.

The bows you're considering vary quite a bit in length.  I recommend you let your draw length determine which to get.  If you have a long draw length, probably want to stay away from the shorter bows. That's a combination for bow failure.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
K mag's are magical little bows.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Draw just a bit over 28". My other KMag was not a problem for me.
SWA Spyder

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Msturm:
K mag's are magical little bows.
I hear you; the rational part of me says 2 of the same makes the most sense; the other part of me says KMag's are magical little bows!!!
SWA Spyder

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
I have two that are the same and one foul weather bow that shoots almost the same.  I like all of them to shoot about the same.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
I  like one piece vintage bows but found they are  challenging for air travel, so my first "back up bow" needed to be a take down. I go through a lot of bows looking for new, different, better, but now I always have a 3 piece TD , whether its my go -to favorite or my back up.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
Yeah if I thought I would be doing some flying with one I would be looking at a takedown.
SWA Spyder

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
Only reason I have backups is that I shoot 54 to 57 year old Bears. My wife ask me four to five years ago after I bought a good looking '59 Kodiak Special with a few stress lines from one of our really fine Trad Gang members, what was I going to do when that one blew up? So I bought a '60 K Special that was the same length and draw weight.
The '60, which was originally the backup, is now my go to bow.  

Later I bought a '61 Kodiak with really beautiful honey colored bubinga from another fine member. Soon after, I bought its backup, a '62 Kodiak of similar draw weight from a member who was downsizing. Hope the '61 doesn't blow as it's a really great shooting bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©