3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you guys do to keep in shape?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Chiloquin

• Trad Bowhunter
What do you guys do to keep in shape?
« on: May 21, 2016, 10:33:00 AM »
since hitting 45 i have noticed it makes a conservative effort to try to stay in shape. I have put down some thoughts on my blog about how to stay in shape for those of us who aren't "Wilderness Athletes"

It would be cool to see what others are doing.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you guys do to keep in shape?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
68.  Jog,  weight lift light weights and do floor exercises for flexibility

Diet is the key, no alcohol, no sugar and eat only trad killed meat and fish...
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
Same.  I'm 46.  I can't swing 10-20 pounds one way or the other in a couple weeks anymore.  Well I can, one way, but not the other.  They recently opened a gym between work and my house and I joined.  I am liking what I am seeing in the few months that I have been going.  For me, the fact that it is in my travel route is key.  I'm not going to make an extra trip to get it done.

I'm lifting weights and doing some cardio, but also working on some flexibility stuff.  Actually thinking of trying to hit a yoga class.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
Every year is more difficult for sure. Just turning 47.... RPM/Spin Biking Class, Body Pump & Weight lifting, Running, Swimming, and A few triathlons a year. It takes time, dedication, and better eating habits. All which are challenging...

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roadkill:
68.  Jog,  weight lift light weights and do floor exercises for flexibility

Diet is the key, no alcohol, no sugar and eat only trad killed meat and fish...
THIS!  Repeat:  Diet is key!

In my case, VERY little sugar, no alcohol, and VERY little meat.

My daughter calls me a "Flexitarian".

BTW.  I just turned 60 in April and ran my first full marathon, slowly, but finished vertically, not injured, and enjoying myself.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
I'm 69 and when the season gets closer I start reading the paper sitting up.   :)  

Seriously, when you get older it is much harder to lose weight and to build muscle mass.  But, it's not hard to condition what you have.

Cardio kicks up the metabolism and helps with weight loss.  

I do cardio four or five days a week and weights three to four.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
I'm paying attention! 62 next month and worse shape of my life which isn't difficult to do at this age. But haven't been inactive by choice. A little over a month ago I posted about Tradgang being "therapeutic" after arthroscopic knee surgery. One reply was something to the effect of "you'll be back on the 3D couse in week". Well I was admitted a week later with clots in both calves and multiple clots in both lungs.

Got over that and now look forward to slowly getting back

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
I do a 30 min. Work out consisting of stretching , 20 to 30 push ups , 50 to 60 crunches , 20 or so free squats , and 15 to 20 one leg calf raises. Do them back to back and you will get a good easy money free work out every day.
" Live long and prosper "

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Hit post too soon and wanted to add even if you don't think you are at risk or don't  know - and age is a major factor - if you or someone you know is having even minor surgery be aware of symptoms of Deep Vein Thromb (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE) it could save someone's life.

Looking forward to getting back in shape to tackle the VT hills this fall. Got to make the best of each  hunting opportunity while they last.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
28 jog jog jog. Push ups and sit ups.  No sugar. Helps to get paid to work out
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline M Beach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
Well at the age of 45 things are much different than even when I was even 40.I remind myself my goal is to stay in shape to be able to pull my bow back and make hunting season easy. I do have some issues/injuries from my powerlifting/Scottish game competition days. I have had to adapt over the last 10 years for sure. I really like the crossfit concept. I train at home since my first daughter was born 10 years ago. 3 times a week I do workouts that I would consider vigorous. A mixture of running and lifting with no break.The goal is 25-40 minutes of continuous movement/work. My 2-3 other workouts are moderate in intensity and are a little different. One is something like loading my pack with 50 pounds and walking for 30 minutes while walking I set my cooler upside down and do 10 step ups each time I go by it. I just try to mix it up and have fun. Diet is key. Everything in moderation is the best way to go in the long run. I find that when you cut something out completely you may begin to crave it. I do limit added sugar intake. But I do enjoy an occasional Makers on the rocks!!!!

Offline kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
I'm 61 and finished 7 months of chemo therapy last July.  I had stage 4 Non hodgkins lymphoma, and Lymphocytic leukemia. Currently the cancer is in remission.  I used to walk a lot, but during the chemo I got so I could barley make it to the mail box and back. Now I'm starting to get my strength back. I walk about 2 miles at a time now, I went fishing yesterday, and can get my 14 ft boat in and out without help.  I shot a turkey with my longbow Monday.  Today I went to a 3D shoot and made it around the 30 target coarse without a problem. I'm back to shooting my 55# longbow, and try to shoot at least every other day. I'm thankful for every day, and looking forward to deer season!

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
Alternate every day...lift at Golds or run 3 miles. 7 days a week. I'll be 50 next month. Being in shaped definitely helps you stay in the woods longer, you don't get as tired. And you can hunt rougher conditions, carry a pack and a tree stand easier.
It's hard to workout every day, finding the time can be a hassle. I get sore sometimes. My feet get sore from running. I worked standing on ladders for 20 years so I think that's always going to be a problem.
Tedd

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
I do US Masters swimming, sometimes bike, rarely run.

Offline M Beach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
Kstout congrats on the remission!! Definitely puts things in perspective. I also like Yoga to maintain some sort of flexibility and balance once a week.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
5 sets of 25 push ups, 5 sets of 25 weighted sit ups/ or decline sit ups, 5 sets of 10 pull ups or chin ups.  2 mile run. I do this 4 or 5 days a week.

Side activities in addition to the above: Hunting, Fishing, Diving, Surfing, Skatebaording, trail running/hiking.

Diet: MEAT! Protein shakes, veggies that I can grill.  no beer.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline rkelly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
Hey, most of you guys are still kids.
I'm 76, almost 77.
It is hard to stay in shape when you get older.
I have worked physically hard all my life and worked out with weights most of my life.
Shoot the bow almost daily.
And cut out the carbs!!

Just went through 43 prostate radiation treatments which knocked me down some.  But I know by working at it, I'll get it back.

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
I lift 3 days a week, Mon, We'd, Fri, with strength training the first part and then some type of metabolic conditioning for the last 12 - 15 minutes, I'll also incorporate shooting my bow in the workout so it makes it more interesting.

Stretching and foam rolling have become an everyday thing for me and my mobility seems to be getting better.

I jog/run 2-3 miles Tue and Thurs then do some interval training on Sat. Add in playing with the kids everyday and I stay pretty active.

Diet is pretty simple, no sugar or alcohol, and just try to stop eating when I'm content and try to eat as clean as possible.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
Did martial arts for long time but health issues put that on the back burner. Now I go to the "Y" 5 times a week and ride a bike for 30-40 minutes some light weights for tone and back on the elliptical for 10-15 minutes. Yard work and stumping and a 3-D now and then round it out. At 64 years old I do ok.....just a bit slower.....lol
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
remember Ron it was YOU who finally said something about my "T-Rex" style draw and it was only after then I started working more on form with Ken, if you had not have busted my stones I would have thought I was still drawing 28 inches!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©