3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you guys do to keep in shape?  (Read 838 times)

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you guys do to keep in shape?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
do lots of fishing in a  john boat with no trolling motor

and ride my bike over driving when reasonable
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
Turning 51 in August, 6'1" 190# and still wear 32" waist paints.  I'm a gym rat and lift just about every day at lunch time and run after work in the evenings.  Staying health is a life style and you need to keep it moving or you loose it. The hardest part is eating health all the time for me.  I love good food, good beer and great wine.
lll

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Lots of cardio with lifting alternating days. Lost 45 pounds for an elk hunt 3 years ago and no way am I going back to where I once was.

Gabe

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
My Dr recommended I "ease" into an excersise program.

Yesterday I drove past a store that sells sweat pants.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
I do a 2-3 mile fast walk almost every day.  Also a lot of outside work like push mowing, cutting wood, etc. Also shooting bows...of course!  Anything to keep moving.  My father, who just passed away this last week at 93 and who was never on any kind of long-term medication, always said "You've got to keep moving to keep moving."
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
I work out 6 days per week. 3 days strength training, 3 days cardio. Once a year I do a round of P90X.

My normal routine is chest, shoulders and abs on Tuesday. 1.5-3 mile run on Wednesday depending on time. Back and arms Thursday, run again on Friday. Saturday is legs and abs then more cardio Sunday. Monday I do absolutely nothing but eat and lay around. During deer season I may slack a little bit. I try to eat clean as much as I can, but I don't really have any specific diet that I follow. I love Mexican food, BBQ, and all that bad stuff. I just try to make every meal at home high protein and low carb with a decent amount of "good" fats. If I eat out I just try to do the best I can.

I was always skinny growing up, then started putting on weight in my early teens and I had gotten waaayy to heavy by the time I was in my late 20's. Got serious about working out and now I'm 6'4'' and 180ish. I'm fairly lean but I'm in pretty decent shape for 38 years old I think.

I love it. I get around so much better and can do so much more than I could a few years ago that the hard work was more than worth it. Some days it's hard but it just takes dedication!!

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
Kstout you're an inspiration to us all Sir!  Congrats on the remission and here's to many more fun filled seasons for you.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Right now having to rethink my working out.  I am having sore knees most everyday.  I ride stationary bike 2X a week for thirty minutes.  Usually put on 12 -14 miles.

Tried to play soccer with grandkids yesterday -paying for it today.

I have a feeling I have done my last backpack hunting trip.  Bummer, only 64.  Just had a doctor exam and blood pressure etc is great.  The last two years it's been either feet or knees giving me problems.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Wife and I bicycle quite a bit. Last year we did a 350 bike ride in 6 days. We have also ridden across the state of Michigan in one day, (12 hrs) 162 miles.  We also rode our bicycles across the United State in 3 summers.  The best ride was leaving the west Michigan coast and pulling in to Portland, Maine in 3 weeks.

We are old time runners and tri-athletes but quit doing them when we turned 50.  Running destroyed our feet but we kept up the biking.

I am 67 and my wife is 65.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
Here is a short video I put together to show you the ultimate Bowhunter workout...(just click on the link)

The above video will build self confidence, concentration, strength, and stamina.  

I also like to wear my backpack (47#) as often as I can to not only get used to carrying the weight, but it is great for building up core muscles...

Besides all that, The only running I do is when I chase my wife around the house.      :biglaugh:
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
Monday -Lift
Tuesday-Spinning
Wednesday-Ab work-out
Thursday- Cardio- Stairs. With Dumbbells Lunges
Friday- Spinning
Walk the Brittanies everyday and work construction. 57 and it doesn't get easier. But it's a lot better than the alternative.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
I'll be 54 next February. Do construction and remodeling and at 5'10" and 175 lbs I can still put most of them young bucks to bed.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
I go to the gym every single day.  My gym is open 24/7/365 which is the main reason I joined it.  I wake up every single day at 2:30AM, and I am in the gym by 3.  I do 3 days of weights followed by a day of cardio.  
Day 1 is chest, shoulder, and triceps, all of the pushing muscles.
Day 2 is legs and abs.
Day 3 is back, traps, and biceps, all of the pulling muscles.
Day 4 is cardio, either 1 hour on the treadmill or 1 hour on the bike, then abs.
Today for instance, I was feeling really good, so I did 1 hour on the treadmill, 4 mph, at the max incline, followed by 40 minutes on the bike with the resistance at 8, then abs.
Just get off you ass and do something.  Anything is better than just thinking about and putting it off.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm 65 soon to be 66. I eat anything I want. Work on the farm all day, then walk 1-2 miles, some days ride a bike, shoot my bow everyday and feel great. 6' and 170# so it must be right. My cardiologist says I sound better everytime he sees me (once a year). Lots of red meat grown right here on our farm. When people go past my coffin I want them to say that is the best looking dead man I've ever seen!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
43 started cross fit 5 months ago. Go three times a week 0530 - it is fun and it constantly changes, you never know what they are gonna throw at you one day to the next. I like this as it keeps it interesting.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
I work out at the gym 6 days a week.  I usually get 7 miles in every day just in normal walking.  Gym: treadmill at the highest incline 35 minutes, weights  20 minutes I try for 17-20 sets of 15 reps.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Cool with the sledge hammer......   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:   But I would have a broken nose for sure......   :goldtooth:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I lift weights and on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I run 2-5 miles. I also "hike" in my neighborhood a couple times a week in the evenings with my pack fully loaded. Here in SC the terrain is not terribly challenging unless one hunts the extreme north west corner of the state. This keeps me in good shape and able to hunt hard all year long.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »
I walk a few miles a week with a 30 lb pack. Shoot my bow near daily . I walk many,many miles a day at a fast pace and...I love Bacon.RC

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 12:51:00 AM »
Judo!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©