3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: to whoam do you credit your shooting ability?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
to whoam do you credit your shooting ability?
« on: May 21, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
its easy to for me as 3 men (all members here) have helped me out greatly in one form or another.
1) Kat (Ken Thornhill) has helped me tremendously with form and arrow set up I owe a great deal of my shooting ability to him.
2) Ron W (Ron Waldron)who has helped me a great deal with bow set up and has made about anything a man can imagine for me dealing with bow gear. I know Ron has some shooting struggles of his own on and of but he without a doubt knows a TON about traditional archery and shooting!
3)Ron LaClair who I had the pleasure of talking with at Denton Hill a few years ago. one thing Ron helped me on was anchor point and how important it is to hold tightly against your anchor point, "really mash it in" is what he said and I laughed but i'll be dammed when I paid more attention to that way my shooting became more persistent. really wish I could spend some more time around that man.
I just want to say THANK YOU to these 3 men. I do not consider myself a great shot but I feel I am average to good and I feel very confident.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: to whoam do you credit your shooting ability?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
I have been extremely fortunate, and have spent a good bit of time with both Ron LaClair and Fred Asbell. They have both helped me in different ways. Fred really helped me define my personal form. He makes things like "release" so simple.  Ron has helped me a GREAT deal with the mental aspect of shooting, especially under pressure (Ron has also taught me quite a bit about woodsmanship, but that wasn't your question).

Lastly, I honestly have to give credit to my Dad. Dad was probably the best and most dedicated bow shooter I ever met. He didn't get serious about it until about 1968, but once he did.....wow. He never competed, but he should have. I watched him make some amazing shots. He put a bow in my hand EXTREMELY young, and was a good, gentle, firm stickler on form. He turned me loose with a quiver full of arrows, and always made sure I had a good bow, properly tuned, and good arrows. He was also an incredible arrowsmith, and sold some commercially. Steve Turay recently located and gave me a dozen boxed arrows that my Dad made in about 1972.

I have had some good influences, and I'm grateful.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
LOL......I'm flattered......but I have no one to blame but myself.......   :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
In the beginning it was Byron Ferguson and G. Fred Asbell that I tried to pattern my shooting after. Then it was a couple of local guys that tried to help with flaws as they saw them and a few videos that I bought and watched. But, when I really started to obsess and REALLY try to focus on getting better, it was TradGang and the "Shooter's Form" forum that I turned to. And y'all have never let me down. Too many of y'all to name here, and in too many different ways, but Arne Moe (Moebow) & McDave definitely deserve to be named.

That's to whom I give credit for my shooting ABILITY. My INABILITIES, however, are my own damn fault.    :wavey:

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
LOL - I won't force the blame on anybody!
SWA Spyder

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
Rick Welch for shooting style and Steve Lamb for my first lessons

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Moebow, McDave and Rod Jenkins. Although my shooting is nothing to write home about, it's not their fault. I've been given great instruction!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
where i came from- there was nobody to help or guide me- self taught( very badly) until i discovered Rick welch!!!

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
My shooting ability would be an insult to credit to anyone else...so I guess I'll take the blame.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
I am pretty much self taught in a lot of ways but there are several people who influenced me along the way.  The first would be Mimi Bentley, who with her husband Gordon, ran The Archery Center in Madison.  She helped me when I was struggling.

The second is Randy Ulmer.  I first became aware of Randy and his how-to videos during my wheel days and figured out that he and I had similar styles.  His advice on form and more particularly shot sequence helped me develop the same in me.

More recently would be Rod Jenkins, not necessarily because he taught me anything new but reinforced what I already knew and had let lapse.  I was amazed at how much I had forgotten.

Though I haven't met him yet, Arne Moe and his form videos have been immeasurable in fine tuning many aspects of my form.

And of course all the people I shoot with on a regular basis - we are always willing to offer help to anyone struggling with their shooting - that's the nature of our sport.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
I can only blame myself.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
The initial phase was an Olympic coach that taught the basic instructor class at my archery club, then after that, hanging out at rmsgear watching Tom Clum give lessons and shooting with him and a few select others
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 07:20:00 PM »
I'm still working on the ability part but over the past two months many on here sharing their experiences, comments and suggestions on form, equipment choices and tuning has certainly been very helpful and much appreciated.

Have also found Jeff Kavanagh videos to be very informative and covering the whole range of trad topics. He's a heck of a shot too which in itself is entertaining. He's also cross dominant and shooting from the non-dominant eye side which is encouraging for someone trying to make that work.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
G Fred Asbell at the beginning followed by Terry's form posts and instructions here and a friend I made early on who offered much advice from afar (NY to SC) Adkmountainken. These three gentlemen got me on target and there words, photos, and videos have kept me there through the years.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
90% self taught. The other 10% from watching good shooters.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Mr. Rod Jenkins and his superb class was the best $ I spent on archery. Thanks again Rod.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Lots of time practicing figuring out what to do as much as what not to do. Single biggest thing that helped me was dropping to 52 lbs at my draw length. Now I can get my elbow behind my shoulder at full draw which really gets me into my back muscles... What a difference !

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
If there's anyone to blame outside myself, it would have to be you guys!  

I was a lost, lonely archer fumbling along in the dark until I came across TradGang!

I dare say everything I have learned about traditional archery was from here or somehow stemmed from here.

Thank you all!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
To tradgang and all of you. I didn't have a teacher so I lucked out by finding this site .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Saguache

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
I'm self taught but remember reading a Bowhunter Magazine article about barebow shooting by Larry D. Jones back in the early 90's that was very influential on me. Larry talked about anchoring solid, back tension(with a clicker) and referencing the arrow.  Prior to that I really struggled with snap shooting and target panic while trying to shoot pure instinctive. Larry's elk hunting articles also sparked my interest in western hunting. I never met him but he definitely deserves some credit!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©