3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: to whoam do you credit your shooting ability?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: to whoam do you credit your shooting ability?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 02:33:00 AM »
Johnny Grubbs, a cement contractor who was a consistent field archery compeditor and my instructor. Met him through my father who was a television director and producer and who had Johnny and his wife, Betty, on television shooting a demonsration for promoting their class. Betty was a two time Instinctive Division National NFAA Champion and would shoot into the hole of 45 RPM records as part of her demonstration. They took me to various state and regional field archery tournaments, hunted with them throughout Oklahoma, and deer hunting in Arkansas. Also encouraged me to join two local archery clubs with field ranges. Betty passed on young before she obtained any more national championships but did turn professional just before she died. Good folks.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2016, 04:49:00 AM »
its real easy  me and myself LOL!!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »
GOD! and a couple people he placed in my life along the way .

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
Right On Target Frank!   :thumbsup:   We can learn from many people, but the truth is Our Father, every ones Father, has taught us through others...

Understand the friends that gave you some pointers or constructive criticism did so because (they) love you... That is what I believe... God Is Love!

That being said: In my account, the list of persons that helped me along the way would be in the dozens... Couldn't even start a list here...

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
John holzrichter, he taught me it all. Aim, form and repetition. Tried for a few years on my own before I met him. He fixed years of bad shooting habits in a few weeks for me.

Gabe

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Pretty much self taught, although I read stuff by Howard Hill, John Shulz, Byron Ferguson.

I know what Howard said about hunting and target shooting, but my experience was a little different.  I switched to a compound bow for a couple of years and I joined a bow league.  After one year I decided this was not as much fun so I started bringing my father's Root target recurve.  Thirty eight #.

It really helped me to develop good hand control and a consistent release.  I only shot league  for 1-2 years.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
When I first started archery at age 10, the guy that ran the range gave me some basic training. I have read many articles and seen many videos. I have attended brief seminars by Byron Ferguson and Fred Asbell. So, I have picked up tidbits here and there. Plus, some things I figured out on my own. I would doubtlessly benefit from an in depth course by a qualified expert trainer.
Sam

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
remember Ron it was YOU who finally said something about my "T-Rex" style draw and it was only after then I started working more on form with Ken, if you had not have busted my stones I would have thought I was still drawing 28 inches!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Myself! I didn't grow up with archery heroes. I didn't grow up with a family rooted in outdoor activities or with weapons of any kind. My first hunt was at 28 years old with a $5 flea market Shakespeare recurve and unmatched aluminum arrows. Compound bows were next. They were easy to learn to shoot and I killed a few deer with one until I decided I didn't like the feel of drawing a compound or having to keep up with the Joneses with all the latest gizmos. I started building selfbows and all wood bows with instructions from books by folks like Jay Massey, Paul Comstock, Jim Hamm, William Vonderhey, etc. After I get into selfbow shooting I realized I needed a little help with my shooting and that is when I got G. Fred's "Instinctive Shooting" and it's all history from there so I guess I owe most of my shooting knowledge to G. Fred. I owe my ability to myself for sticking with it for so many years not knowing if I could do it or not...I only knew I wanted to learn, so I did.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »
I learned to shoot way back when from friends. It took me quite a while till I finally found someone who could teach me methods to tune.

A lot of my shooting ability credit has to go to Rod Jenkins. Although it took quite a while to learn how to apply it everyday, I learned enough in Rod's 2 day clinic to eventually be able to shoot better than I had ever previously though I could!!!

Bisch

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
Same here Bisch, after doing it my self taught way for 40 years it took a lot more time than I initially thought it would. Rod gave me the building blocks and a path towards my goal, building a consistent strong shot, the rest was up to me. Been a fun journey and the rewards are very satisfying now.
shoot straight shoot often

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
self taught.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
Abe Penner for building such a great shooting bow.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 12:10:00 AM »
My brother John instilled the ethical hunting in me but I decided to try trad archery.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by ron w:
LOL......I'm flattered......but I have no one to blame but myself.......     :biglaugh:  
Love it ^^^^ I am same!

Nah grew up being the only bow nut around. Like many was a wheels dude but when the technology had me more tinkering on bow rather than shooting bow I found recurve so shooting off shelf to be much more friendly.
there was one guy that I ran into and can't remember his name. He made his own arrows and all that. He did help me gain some confidence in shooting live game.
I had missed my first deer with trad, bummed and pride in the gutter -I was great on the range but messed up on first chance at a deer?? -  he said lets go squirrel hunting! I said your nuts I can't hit a deer! Much less a squirrel. He laughe said cmon on.
I smoked the first three squirrels, missed a few smoked a couple more. But was happy and confident again in my shooting.
Just taught me focus I guess? So he helped me a lot that day.

J

Course missed many since then too! I know I didn't focus like I should have or something else basic.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »
I picked up my first recurve in 1968 and self taught myself to shoot.  

That being said MOEBOW here on the forum has given me a wealth of good advice that has really taken my shooting to a higher level.
T ZZZZ

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
Zwickey judo point
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
self taught

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 05:18:00 AM »
educated by a good 20 years older friend!
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
I learned a lot from members of the Sarasota County Archery club and a pro shop called Treetop Archery in Sarasota, Florida.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©