3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Neck Knife?  (Read 842 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Neck Knife?
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
Anybody use a neck knife to gut deer?I,m looking to get one.Checking out the Tops knives site.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Neck Knife?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
Yes, I used a CRKT minimalist. It was less than ideal but certainly better than a broadhead. Only reason that I did was because I forgot my belt knife in the car and it was a 3 mile walk back in the dark to get it. I ordered a "little Shaver" from shrewbows that I think will work a little better. I also stopped carrying the minimalist because the kydex retention sucked after about a year and you only need to have a razor sharp knife drop out of your shirt a couple times before it gets relegated to tool box duty.

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Any pics of neck knives??
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
I've gutted several with my neck knife. I don't like the ones in an upside down sheath. I wear mine under my shirt in a simple pouch type leather sheath. It is adjusted on the neck thong so that the top of the handle is just even with the top unbuttoned button on my shirt so I can easily retrieve it with one hand. I don't like to wear one outside of my shirt as it will swing out when I bent to shoot my bow from a tree stand. Shrewbows has a nice neck knife as does G Fred Asbell.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
This is the minimalist. I'm at work and don't have any pics of it on my phone.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
http://shrewbows.com/lil_shaver.html

This is a link to the lil shaver. It should arrive any time.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
I have for the last seven years. Unfortunately while teaching my oldest son how to skin, he dropped my knife in the field and we have not been able to locate it after searching and then returning with a metal detector and searching again. Guess it's a good excuse to order a new knife for a dear old sheath!  
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »

I've never gutted a deer with this, but I've skinned a bunch of deer, coons, and coyotes with this guy.

It's a Tops MSK 2.5, and I love it.  The steel is great, and it's the perfect shape and size for skinning.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
I do,used  GFA neck knife to skin a bull moose a few years back.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »
GFA neck knives are good. Lightweight and holds an edge.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
Back in the day, Alaska Bowhunting Supply had a late 19th century style patch/neck knife they peddled.

Ed Schlief, Rest his soul, Sent me one with a 10,000 yr old walrus bone handle and sheath facing for helping him peddle his wares at Eastern shoots.

He's gone, and it was a small knife, but it skinned and gutted a number of deer. He skinned a few big bears with his.  One of those high # Stainless blades that really held an edge.

There are many good/great looking knives available and the neck knife is easy to have along. I have relied on it for all but final skinning...I then use a drop point skinner belt type.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
My neck knife is a Knives of Alaska "Muskrat" with a custom sheath made by Teresa Asbell. The "Muskrat" is the best skinning knife I've ever owned.    :thumbsup:

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
I wear an esee candiru around my neck whenever I'm in the woods.  It rides in my back pocket every other time.  I've gutted and skinned several deer and countless smaller animals with it.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
My favorite field dressing knife is an Izula II.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

that's a sweet little knife, Charlie! did you make the sheath for it, or buy it somewhere? i may have to scoop one of those up.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by LB_hntr:
 http://tbwpodcast.com/video-54-one-of-the-best-knives-ever-made-for-the-outdoorsman/  
awesome! thanks for sharing!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
I have a neck knife, but had the sheath made where I could wear it on my belt. It is a very handy knife, but I find it a bit too small for gutting and removing the Inners.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 10:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by johnnyk71:

Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

that's a sweet little knife, Charlie! did you make the sheath for it, or buy it somewhere? i may have to scoop one of those up. [/b]
The sheath was made by Al Welke (AZWelke.com)

I made the "pop-it" fittings out of silicon tubing so if it catches or someone graps the Nylon cord they can't strangle me with it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
Even though I forge up some fancy knives, pretty much all I carry is a Bare Bone neck knife.  I want it very slim as I wear it under my top shirt next to my skin so it doesn't flop free.  Hand forged neck knife 6 1/2" OAL from 1084 carbon steel.  This little knife with it's thin folded Kydex sheath has skinned/processed deer, hogs, and bears.  You don't even know you're wearing it.  I attach a piece of orange Para cord so I can find it when I lay it on the ground.  I also know exactly where it is if I'd happen to fall from my tree stand as apposed to getting a belt knife out that might be pinned under my harness...tippit

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©