3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Plunger on a Hoyt Buffalo.  (Read 435 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Plunger on a Hoyt Buffalo.
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
I wonder if you guys think there is enough metal to have someone drill and tap a hole for a plunger button on a hoyt buffalo. I have shot one several times and I will probably pick one up regardless. I just like the adjustability of that option and I can not get used to the dalaa.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Plunger on a Hoyt Buffalo.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
Take a look at the newer Hoyt Tiburon,it is a 21" riser,uses Hoyt Formula limbs,It already has a plunger hole and the riser is cut far past center to help make a plunger set up work properly.My Buffalo riser in built out enough to where I just use calf hair side plate and rest.My Tiburon came with thick pads for use for shooting off the shelf or use a elevated rest with a plunger.I'm sure you could probably drill the riser for a plunger,but to get a good use of the plunger you would need to adjust it way off center.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
I would think you'd have to remove metal from the Buffalo in order to get the plunger to work.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
I'd say just get a different bow.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
I just did an exhaustive review of ILF hunting bows and settled on the Win & Win Black Wolf.  One of the reasons was the plunger capability, though I am shooting off the shelf and just use a Bear leather plate, which is relatively thick, with a vertical Q-Tip shaft behind it to build it out a bit more.

This bow is incredible...$100 more than what I found as the lowest price on a Buffalo bow.  This bow just oozes quality in every respect.  In almost 50 years of shooting, this is one of the top bows I've ever held in my hands.

Mike
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
x2 whatJRY309 said, buffalo WAS DESIGNED TO SHOOT OFF the shelf.
60" Black Widow 40@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 43@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
60" Black Widow  42@28
NRA Member, Life Member Traditional Bowhunters Maryland
Bill Wilhelm

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
After finally getting a chance to shoot a tiburon and a buffalo back to back I think I'm just going to buy the tiburon. Both shot awesome, but I want something to tinker with and the tiburon gives me more options. I looked at the ILF setups and I have not found a riser that I like as much as the hoyts. If hoyt made a 21in or shorter ILF riser I would just get that and be done with it.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Double post

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
The Hoyt Gamemaster is a 21"riser very similar to the Tiburon and will take ilf limbs with a simple bushing swap,though this will be a bolt down attachment. The Gamemaster takes a plunger or can be shot off the shelf.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
You really should look at the Morrison ILF risers.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
I have a dorado riser that I had converted to ILF
I love Bow Hunting

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Not to be argumentative but I don't understand why being designed to shoot off the shelf should keep the bow from being able to use a plunger. I've shot and seen lots of bows shot from off the shelf with a plunger.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
The Buffalo's riser is built out further.The Tiburon's riser is cut more past center that it require's thick pads like around a 1/4" thick to build up the riser for shooting off the shelf.The Buffalo's riser is not cut as far past center,I just use a thin calf hair piece for my side plate.With a plunger you want it cut farther off center to allow some adjustability.On the Buffalo the plunger would be sticking out further from the riser.You want some room for the plunger button to move.On the couple of my bows I shoot with a plunger and elevated rest I like my riser cut well past center and high off the shelf like a compound,forgive for using that word,

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
That makes perfect sense.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©