3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Arrows - Your Main Things  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood Arrows - Your Main Things
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
I see from reading the various threads that I am not the only one here that is really interested in shooting wood arrows, and building them themselves.  I have officially taken the plunge, and have 2 orders of starting supplies that should arrive in the next couple of days, just in time for the weekend!

For the experienced arrow builders out there, my request is this -- if you had to pick the 2 most important things to know/remember in crafting your arrows, what would they be, and why?

I have combed the How-To forum here, and watched numerous videos.  But I would really like to hear it from a wide variety of those that do it.

Thanks for sharing your time and experience!

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Arrows - Your Main Things
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
#1 - buy the best quality shaft you can afford from vendors that specialize in wood shafts. They will be closer in grain weight, spine, and tighter and straighter grain. If they're not closely matched you'll get very frustrated with accuracy issues and consistency.

#2 - buy a good quality taper tool that will give you accurate tapers. Misaligned nocks and points also add to accuracy issues.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Hatrick has two good ones for sure.

I'll add that job one is to straighten those shafts.   You cannot nock or point taper a crooked shaft well and it's certainly not going to fly worth a hoot.  I have the best luck by hook straightening since this compresses fibers and relieves stress in the wood which is longer lasting vs heating or just bending over your palm (or whatever) as that does not seem to be very long lasting.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Orient the shaft on the bow so the edge grain is horizontal and against the side plate. Then glue the nock.

I did not know this on my first batch and had very erratic flight on most of them.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
Remember to orient your nocks correctly in relation to the growth rings!

Get a good taper tool from the get go!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:19:00 PM »
I'll second the taper tool needs to be a good one.  Cutting oil and bad glue get the blame for points not staying on when I feel that it's the taper on the wood shaft not being correct most times. Nocks also must be put on straight.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
use good shafts and components including glue. Have had my share of "mistakes" trying cheaper supplies.
Yes, there are a lot of DYI vidoes, threads here on Trad Gang to help you. What may be most important to one arrow maker may not be the same as another. Usually it is because of experiences often negative. Some guys explain a process better than another. That is we're help from guys on here can help clear up any questions.
To bad no vendors sell kits like Kittridge Bow Hut did when I started. Had all a guy needed plus a booklet with instructions even I could follow.
Welcome to one of the best parts, IMO, of this hobby, sport.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Tapering tool is very important, if I were to buy one it would be the Woodchuck tapering tool. Angles for both nock and point taper. Have fun and enjoy your new addiction.

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
All of the above is great information and will help you out a great deal.

I'll add:
Buy your wood shafts from a GREAT vendor. I've seen way too many shafts from what are usually considered to be good vendors to be mismatched in spine and weight as well as having dicey grain.

When you mount your points be sure to clean them to the point that you could toss them in your chili. The oil left inside points is the culprit for them pulling off in targets. Clean that out perfectly and it almost won't matter what glue you use to mount them. I like epoxy.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 05:35:00 AM »
Thanks, everyone - this is exactly what I was hoping for.  

I purchased a Tru-Center V2 taper tool and an Ace Roll-R straightener.  Port Orford Cedar for my first shafts.  I thought the roller-type straightener may be easier on the finish for later straightening.  Is that type less effective?  Have you ever used that taper tool?  And I would like to try different woods as I progress but, I have read that douglas fir doesn't react as well to the blade-type taper tools, like I will have.  

Thanks for sharing, gang - I really appreciate it!

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
Great timing. I am also wanting to order supplies to make my own arrows. I have made them in the past but always used a friends equipment. I really need my own.
NRA Life Member

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
Your tools will be fine.  Consistent grain orientation as noted above when gluing  nocks. Also, do your straightening before any tapering. I generally straighten a few times and let the shaft rest for a day or two between straightening sessions.

As for future endeavors, you could find one of the vendors with reputable shafts that will cut to length and point/nock taper the shafts for you on their grinders if trying one of the other shaft materials that don't lend themselves to tapering smoothly with blade tools.  There's a charge for this service, however if doing less than ten dozen arrows, it's cheaper than Woodchuck tool.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 06:58:00 AM »
I second all of the above. I use the Ace straightener, and it's great. Expect it to take a little while to get a feel for how much pressure to apply, and where.
A spin tester is great, a perfectly flat surface works too. Work the high spots... one at a time.
Patience is a necessity.

One thing to add about installing points: after cleaning them, gluing them on, and checking them for spinning true, be sure to dip the point in cool water, or run it under the tap, while you know the point is still fully set. The hot melt will push the point out while it's still cooling if you don't.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
All the advice so far sounds good. I would add one thing: Take your time.
Sam

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
x2 on the roller straightener- it is kinder on shafts i think, and easy to make a spin tester- essential tool i think.
piece of 2x4 maybe 24" long two small pieces of plywood on either end with a V cut into them, place shaft in V and rotate it! i have 1/16 gradations marked down in the center of the 2x4- really helps me to see any movement.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
Order your Douglas fir shafts from Surewood Shafts. They are a sponsor here. Ask for them to do the court to length(bop), nock and point taper, and if you wish, a tail taper. This will make it much easier as you deep your toes into the "arrow making" pool.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
If you want to tune them by cutting and tapering yourself then just have them do the nock and tail taper. Can't stress enough how important it is to start with checking and straightening wood shafts before doing the nock and pt. taper. You want everything centered.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
When I get new shafts the first thing I do is determine which end will be the nock end. I put the best/straightest grain at the nock end cause it is the least likely to warp over time. Its a pain trying to straighten in the fletch area.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
When I get new shafts the first thing I do is determine which end will be the nock end. I put the best/straightest grain at the nock end cause it is the least likely to warp over time. Its a pain trying to straighten in the fletch area.
Yes, I do the same. Also try to cut off any problem areas on the bad ends. I cut my shafts to my finished-pretapered length and then do my straightening. Why work on a 1-2 inch section that won't be there after I cut to length anyway.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rough Run:

For the experienced arrow builders out there, my request is this -- if you had to pick the 2 most important things to know/remember in crafting your arrows, what would they be, and why?

Take your time, and don't rush anything.

Arrow building should be fun, as soon as you rush things (or cut corners) you will either forget, or skip a step, and you will be stuck with something that is less than what you set out to accomplish.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©