3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead for Bear?  (Read 888 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead for Bear?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »
I've seen and killed enough to know you can lose them or get them with almost any head. Shot placement is the critical thing. I can't prove this at all (which probably makes it worth nothing) but I don't believe more blades = better blood. I also don't automatically believe that 2 blades = better penetration. It goes back to shot placement and my money is on the cool guy who can drop one into a softball at 15 yards. Shoot accurately and shoot the head you like is my thought. My last bear was killed with a 2 blade Wapiti (SB) and went about 40 yards where I watched it crash. The penetration was complete and no blood trail was needed. I didn't even check for blood.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
I'm with Kevin  on this one    :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
I used 2 blade Zwickey deltas on the two bears I have killed (and none hit and lost).  No issues with blood trails and I think (as did my outfitter who shot traditional) that 2 blade heads may provide a bit better penetration on marginal hits--and we all know they happen. Neither of my bears went more than 50 yards. That being said, any of the heads you named will work just fine if put in the right place.  Bad hit and it's another story on bears. They sure are fun to hunt.   :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
I agree and disagree with Kevin. Accuracy is most important but if you hit an animal with the same exact shot and the two blade gives you 3 more inches of penetration and a outlet hole and creating better blood trail you are much better off. On live targets we can't always control accuracy as the target can and does move.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
If I use metal arrows it will be a Black Diamond 2 blade and if I use wood it will be stone.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
I shot my grizzly with a 2 blade Zwickey Eskimo.  I also took my moose and caribou with the same head.  Shot placement is the important part.  My grizzly was shot at 20 - 25 yards and ran back on my to about 10 yards, then dropped.  One arrow through the heart.  My wife was about 100 yards away watching.  I tease her, that she was counting the life insurance money!
Zwickey broadheads have been around for years - easy to sharpen and have taken LOTS of game, including all of mine (elk, deer, mt. lions)

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
I like the 3 blade, but used the grizzly beveled before on a couple Prince of Wales monsters.
I've used a woodsmen at Kodiak, snuffer in the arctic, and muzzy on Chichagof.  All good penetration.  Kodiak bear went 20 yards, Arctic griz went 50 yards, and Chichagof went 60 yards.  I'm shooting similar poundage and set up (60-63# 500-600 grain arrows).

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
I agree with Tom that an exit wound is super-important on any animal which must be trailed to recover it...which is most. An entrance and exit wound from a 2 blade trumps almost anything else for me.

On the other hand, the best blood trail of all is the one you don't need.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
With your bow and your bow weight and you're draw,weight you should get a pass through with a sniffer or a 4 blade Delta Zwickey end of story.....go hunting shoot straight and retrieve your bear ...... accuracy being a given which it should be as it is Paramount

No head is going to guarantee a blow through the socket of a shoulder of a bear but through the vitals you should have NO problems with a multi blade head. I've killed so many hogs that are much tougher than bears with multi blade head to at least know a little bit about what I'm talking about...... I've had Exit Wounds on all of my big hogs unless I pegged the off shoulder or off leg bone which resulted in a hero picture anyway since I passed through the vitals and the animal went down within mere yards..... Exit Wounds are not a big problem or a big deal with bears for God sakes they're like shooting whitetails a grocery bag full of shaving cream and Tinker Toys.... if your equipment is tuned.

Exit Exit Wounds Exit Wounds Exit Wounds I can't even remember how many I've had with multi blade heads on deer bear and Hogs so it's not a problem with your bow weight don't be fearful of the power of a 55 pound bow and a multi blade head black bears are chumps to pass throughs

So Gear Up ....multi blade up ...have confidence and make your shot ....and come tell us all about it

I kill Hogs routinely with multi blades from 30 pounds to 300 and I get pass throughs..... hogs are way more formatable to pass through than bears
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I am going to split the difference and shoot the VPA. I have killed plenty of whitetails with multiple blade heads, just hadn't ever went after bear. I thought they might be a bit easier to poke a hole thru. The accuracy shouldn't be an issue as long as I don't loose my cool, just by the fact that it is something I've never hunted. I'm cool as a cucumber with whitetail. You just can't tell til you get there.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
I think you picked two really good BHs. I would just get a set of both in the same weight and use whatever you are feeling at the time. RMSG can them hair popping sharp for you too if you ask them.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©