3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: points/inserts and achieving front end weight?  (Read 235 times)

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
points/inserts and achieving front end weight?
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:52:00 AM »
Hey guys, I'm looking for some insights as to the best way to achieve a constant  front end weight between BH, blunts, and field points.

In my particular situation I want about 200g of total front end weight. The points question are Judos, single bevel grizzly/cut throats, and 3 blade VPAs.

Now the trick of the matter is choosing the size of the BHs. Am I correct in thinking I should get the heaviest head I can and the lightest insert? Grizzly and vpa both make a 175 grain head I could just pair up with a 25 grain alum insert.

For Judos or lighter BH I was thinking the best way might be a 100G brass inserts then grinding them down to desired weight. This would give me the most flexibility assuming I can grind of small enough amounts accurately.

What pointers can you guys share?
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: points/inserts and achieving front end weight?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 03:34:00 AM »
Your getting to worried about making exact weights. They make 200gr in all the types of tips you mentioned except you wouldn't get an actual judo in that weight, but the VPA small game heads are awsome! I will say though, for strictly target arrows, I'm a big fan of 100gr brass inserts and 100gr field points, as they don't bend as easy as the200gr field tips. You won't be able to shoot the difference of a 11gr aluminum insert when you switch to broadhead or blunts.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: points/inserts and achieving front end weight?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 03:37:00 AM »
I have two sets of arrows, one has standard inserts and 200 grain VPA 3 blades.

The other has a 100 grain insert and 100 grain judo or field point depending on what I am doing.
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©