3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Excelsior bales  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
Excelsior bales
« on: May 26, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
I've tried all sorts of targets    :knothead:   another lifetime target (and shooting deep into my round hay bale to   :help:   the nock) does anyone still use/sell Excelsior bales?
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Excelsior bales
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
I wish i knew where to get some. I liked excelsior bales...

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
Strange you should mention this. We were talking about this yesterday. It has become difficult to locate those bales. There was a distributor in The LA area because our club bought some from him about 5 years ago. Some one said they were made in Tuson, Az.? Of course shipping will be a killer.
The club went with Pacific Butts recently, now that I do not pay the clubs bills anymore I do not know what they cost.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
I had issues with them in the past. When shooting some wooden arrows into them the friction created enough heat to make bits of the excelsior stick to the shaft. Not all finishes did this. Other than that I did like them.
Sam

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
I agree with Sam. You can't go wrong with Pacific Bow Butts. They are relatively expensive but they will last a very long time. I have one in the basement that I shoot almost daily for ten years and it is still good as new. I have replaced the cover once and could do it again. They are unbelievable. If you use them outside they need to be protected from the weather.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Steve Crowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
They sell Excelsior bales in Philadelphia. I beleive the cost is like $70 a bale. Just Google and you can find the place.
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
There are pics of the Pacfic butts on Bearstate Bowhunters website. The pics are of club members assembling them. Looks like they came with covers, frames etc. I will see how they are holding up when I go to San Diego in July.
Where I shoot now, (Ben Avery range) here in AZ. they use the carpet bale targets. They run about $500 with shipping.
Any chance you could hook up with a local club that buys targets from a local store? That would save some of the shipping costs.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »
I setup my old club in NJ with Pacific Bow Butts, I know who and what they are thank you
,but I'm looking for Excelsior bales
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
When I lived in Florida (almost twenty years ago) my club bought it's bales from a company that supplied a casket maker. Apparently, they used the stuff for coffin padding. If I remember correctly, we drove to Louisiana to get them.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Offline ForrestGator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 01:57:00 AM »
They also sell bales in Mancos Co. They were getting 50$ a year or so ago. I don't remember the name of the place but its the only lumber yard in town.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
There's a lumber yard in Mancos?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
Everyone used excelsior bales not too many years ago. Put a plastic cap on them to keep the rain from soaking into them and they'd last forever.

Sam with wood arrows you have to wax your shaft to keep the fibers from sticking to them.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©