3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers 2016...hoping the next camps can chime in  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Bahrzoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stickflingers 2016...hoping the next camps can chime in
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
Had a great hunt to say the least. I was part of the week 2 crew. I spent most my time for the 6 days at the Determination stand. Also spent one night each at the "pressure release bait" and Ratatuey. It would be safe to say that I saw 46 bear's in the 6 nights of hunting. The total would have gone higher but rain and thunder&lightning the last 2 nights at prime time cost me 1 1/2 hours one night and 3 hours the last night. With that said believe it or not I never shot a arrow on this hunt.

I was up with bow in hand on 3 different occasions on bear that we're why I came to Manitoba but it didn't work out. The distance and lighting was right but the angle of the bear was wrong all 3 times. These were bear that I would say would have weighed in the 375 to over 400lb range. What they would have squared I am not sure. But these were real whoppers as far as I was concerned and  I would like to think I am a good judge after going on 7 bear hunts prior to this hunt.

The truth for me was the hunt could have very easily been over on the 3rd night when I had a very very nice bear that was all black in color with perfect coat come to the bait. I would have guessed him in the 300 to 325lb range give me the shot you hope for. But I elected to let him walk knowing I had 3 more nights on stand in some real primo bear woods with the dreams of a 400 pounder in my mind. I guess for now I will just keep dreaming till I return to Stickflingers in 2021!!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
Very cool Jonathon thxs for sharing ryan sure has it going on up there!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Bahrzoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
Actually on the 3rd night of the hunt alone I saw 15 bear sitting at the "Determination" bait. I was on stand from 3:45pm till 10:30pm and had bear either at the bait or in sight for all but a half hour of that time. It was the most action packed evening of bear hunting one could ever want.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
Dave, Michael Arnette was setting with me at Too Close and we saw 4 bears that evening. One came from downwind and approached to 3 yards checking us out before going on to the bait for 45 minutes. He was about a 5 1/2 footer.(we were taking his picture as he walked up to us.). Then the wind shifted to blowing at the bait. We then saw 3 different large bears, 2 black and one really large chocolate. One of the black bears was even larger than the chocolate. The chocolate and the smaller large black bear wanted to come to the bait, but the wind was blowing directly to them and they wouldn't come on in to the bait.
(Although they might have heard Michael A's teeth chattering too! It had really cooled off and he was getting pretty cold!). It was an exciting set that night and if the wind hadn't shifted I'm sure I would have had a great shot at one of these bears

Offline 6feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »
Lethalflight57....Keith, actually I shot that bear on Thursday night after the rain storm.  The wind was all wrong for the bait that I had seen this chocolate bear and another large black bear from over the last few days.  Ryan put me in a stand about 3 miles or so away and this bear came into that stand.  Long story short this is the same bear that I had seen on the other stand.I may have the names confused but original stand was shirtsleeves and final stand lancelot, Ryan can correct me if I am wrong.

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
All right, since Ryan is twisting my arm...
My son and I had a wonderful time in Manitoba with both of us getting Bear. Although his was with a wheelie and his first bear,he is still reminding me how his was bigger than mine.It had a really unique marking on his chest, think Target Store circle.
The whole camp got a big laugh when I was under the impression he didn't get one that night and didn't believe him when he told me the bear on the skinning table was his.Thanks Cole.

I took mine the next night on the same bait with my Frederick long bow. I wasn't sure of the shot placement since we couldn't find blood. But Ryan knows what he is doing when it comes to tracking and was able to locate it even after I told him the wrong direction he fled.

We met some great guys and cant wait to do it again. I'll let Ryan or Gary post the pics.

Thanks again Ryan and Cole!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
C'mon with the pics  :campfire:
NRA Life member

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
Was at work all day with no access to Photobucket. Heres Toms bear. 6'3" with a big head.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Mr. Kissner? Donovan?

Some nice bears yet to share stories of!

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
 Here's another good one. It squared at 7 feet. I won't tell the story but perhaps it will eventually be told by the hunter himself?

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »
Some good lookin Bruins there!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
Huge black bear at Too Close?  Was there a Polar Griz sighting Ryan?

D.P.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2016, 06:22:00 AM »
Dandy bears for sure!!Congrats guy's  :clapper:
NRA Life member

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
I left home almost immediately after returning from Stickflingers as I volunteer here at Comptons every year. I am unable to post to Photobucket until I return home Sunday night. Ryan, you may post my pics if you have any. Thanks for a tremendous hunt!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2016, 10:10:00 AM »
Hoping the big one at Too Close is around for another year or so.... Just saying.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
Too close was good again guys with Baboon butt being there along with a big brown. (and polar grizz)

Heres a pic of Bills bear with his story to hopefully follow    

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2016, 12:13:00 AM »
Fantastic year Ryan! Congrats to all the hunters. Beautiful bears!
Mike Davenport

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2016, 04:49:00 AM »
Wow. Dandy Bruins.  Congratulations to all.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
wow those are some great bears, well done stick shooters
Make a life, not a living

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
I sat the first evening and saw at least 8 separate bears including a sow and 3 cubs. I wanted to wait on a color phase or any thing large.

The second evening I had not been in the stand more than 30 minutes when I heard a couple soft woofs directly below my stand. When looking down,there was a nice black at the base of the ladder looking up at me. He had came down the trail I had walked in on. Deciding I was not a danger, he made a small circle and went to the bait. He was limping on his right front foot from a previous injury. He kept an eye on me while gorging himself on the trail mix. After a while he got up and walked away.

An hour or so went by before a large black came in followed by a beautiful red/cinnamon. They did as most of the others and laid down while eating. The black was on the right and the red was on the left facing each other. After standing for at least 15 minutes waiting on one of them to stand up, I began to shake pretty much either from being in one position for so long or possibly a little bear fever.

I made up my mind that whichever stood first and giving me a shot would get my arrow. The big blackie finally raised and was broadside so the arrow was away. I heard a loud slap and was amazed as the arrow struck the ground about 10 inches in front of his chest.

I had put my camera in the left front chest pocket of my Sitka coat and earlier had removed it putting it in a side pocket fearing my bowstring would catch on it. That was a good idea but I had inadvertently left the zipper open and the bowstring had caught causing the arrow to fly left completely missing the bear.

He jumped slightly and walked away. I thought he was coming back at one point but he decided to walk away. The cinnamon never quit eating all this time and continued for several more minutes. It finally stood and offered a great broadside shot and my second arrow was away.I immediately knew the shot was good. It ran to my left with arrow sticking out both sides. I listened intently but never heard a moan. Was not too bothered by this as I was confident the shot was good. The crippled bear came back as I was climbing down and after me hissing and waving my arms, he reluctantly walked away.

The next morning Ryan, Cole, and I found it about 60 yards from the bait. The retrieval was easy as we were able to get the small trailer almost to the bear.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©