3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Length Question  (Read 475 times)

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Length Question
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
Ok guys, had a friend to tell me that a 64" recurve would be slower than my 58" recurve... So my question is if I ordered 2 brand new recurves one 64" and 58" in the same weight  use the same arrow (I'm talking apples to apples other bow length) My draw lenght is 27" is the 58" gonna be any faster than the 64"?

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Length Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
I think if every last detail of each bow were hypothetically exactly and perfectly identical, and if you could perfectly shoot both exactly identical, so that the only difference is limb length....lol...then yes, the 58" would be technically faster because of lower limb mass. Is there any reasonable way you could ever note it, even through chronographing?  No, I dont believe so. There are too many variables enter in to keep that fine line from becoming apparant.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
I think they would be the same, but the longer limbs would pull easier and smother.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.  Even if they differ by 10fps, what's the bother?  Are you trying to pick a bow length or do you contemplate ordering the two bows?

The bowyer would be a good source of information.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
For me I like to select the bow length that best fits my draw. I always go by the bowyer recommendation. This allows the limbs to work efficiently at my draw length. I'm not sure if a long recurve would preform the best, but would probably be really comfortable to shoot. I would think the shorter bow would be faster, but that's just a guess.

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
Ok so maybe I need to give a little more detail.  My current bow is a 55lb tall tines.  I'm having elbow trouble and have the opportunity to trade my limbs for 40lb limbs.   I was considering having a new set of limbs built (in 40lbs but obviously in 58" to match my bow) but the limbs I could potentially trade for are 64" long.  I was just weighing my options and seeing if I was giving anything up (performance wise) by getting a longer limb over a short set.  I'm wondering if the length and smoothness wouldn't aid my situation.  Thanks for the input so far gentlemen.  Please keep the input and advise coming.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
I second what Monterey said--ask the bowyer.  It depends on the design primarily.  Shorter doesn't always mean faster.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
I agree that the shorter limbs might be one or two fps or so faster than the longer limbs, and that's a might.  Regardless, any difference due to limb length isn't enough to worry about.  

Dropping 15# will make such a huge difference that you won't notice a fps difference one way or another due limb length difference.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 12:41:00 AM »
Possible, but doubt you would see the difference. Certainly not enough to make a difference.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
I would be far more concerned about if I shot one better than the other or if the extra length would be a hassle in you stand etc. The very minor difference in speed would not even be a consideration. At 27" either length should be fine for you I would assume. The bowyer could tell you for sure where it would start stacking.
SWA Spyder

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
If I were having elbow problems (or any other joint) I would be more interested in the smoothest drawing and shooting limbs I could find, not the fastest.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
The shorter bow will have less limb mass, but the limbs must travel further.  A test on this was done a few years back using Black Widows, the 62" won.  There isn't much speed difference due to length.  Bow design for draw length matters more.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
I would talk to the bowyer if the riser is matched to both size limbs your ok, but if not, the longer limbs will have a different draw weight than what is marked on them,if both sets of limbs are matched to the riser the speed difference or quickness will be little

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
Ditto with Warden 609

Hi Richard!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Although shorter doesn't always mean faster and longer doesn't always mean smoother, I can tell you that with a shorter draw length a bow that is to long can be the same as putting 200 pounds of sand in the trunk and wondering why your milage went south.

An example in our Orion RC bow would be a 15" riser and Medium ACS RC limbs it has a max recommended draw of 28" and will be towards the back of the draw getting the full engineered limb action.  The same riser with XL ACS RC limbs is 62" and has a 30" recommended max draw.  With 27" of load you don't even get to the static recurve part of the DFC.  So basically it's a longbow with heavy curly tips.

Remembering that your draw is the same.  You are moving a lot more limb in the longer bow making it very inefficient.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
And that Mike is why I frequently remind people they need to talk to their bowyer of choice

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©