3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mass weight and accuracy?  (Read 975 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Mass weight and accuracy?
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
I've always been a fan of bows with a lot of mass weight. Particularly my old Ebony Habu recurve. I've always reasoned that the heavier bows were less prone to shooter error...jerking/flinching/torque. But someone was telling me they saw a study somewhere that shows this to be false. What do you guys think?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mass weight and accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
I've never seen a study on it, but I tend to agree with you that more mass = more stability.

The errors you mention: jerking, flinching, torque, are pretty gross errors.  One of those errors could easily throw an arrow 8" off target.  If having a heavier bow only makes you throw it 7" off target, you might not consider that to be a great improvement.  However, let's consider the minor variations we have in releasing the arrow from shot to shot that don't really even have a name.  I'll bet that having a heavier mass bow will put more of those otherwise perfect shots in the 12 ring rather than the 10 ring, where a 1-2" difference in POI would make a difference.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
More mass weight has always felt more stable to me as well.
justin ammons

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
I prefer a bow with some mass weight too.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
Funny this subject should come up today. My R/D long bow is real lite. Easy to carry all day. But today I could not seem to get "into it". IMO a heavier riser helps me settle in to the shot. My 3 piece TD's are more stable for me.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »
I have found that a 2 pc bow bolt with a phenolic riser is a nice compromise....handles like a 1 pc, but the added weight in the grip area adds stability and dead in the hand on the shot...

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
All my ASL bows are very light, and since it has been many years since I have had much to do with heavier (mass weight)bows I may not have an informed opinion. I believe good form, rather than mass weight, makes the difference in performance, no matter what type bow is used.
Sam

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
True for me too....i'm just wondering when you're finally going to order a TallTines and be done shopping?   :archer2:

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 11:34:00 PM »
I used to prefer the heavier risers my favorite for years was a Grable SST 2000 which was stolen.  The last few years I have used and now prefer risers not nearly as heavy as the SST.  I like about 2.25# total weight in a takedown recurve.

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
I also prefer heavier riser. Helps with a steadier bow arm for me. Gone to metal risers for that reason.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
Like Guss says, I used to try and love lightweight one piece bows but with my terrible shooting form I would always get a flyer about every 6 shots. I tried several and loved some of them but just couldn't hold them on target constantly enough where I felt confident pulling them on a wild animal. Then I shot a one piece with phenolic in the riser and problem solved (mostly). If I get a flyer now its due to overdrawing the bow.

I do think bow poundage has something to do with it also. If a bow is a little to light in the poundage dept it can cause a less steady bow hand, making consistency tougher to maintain.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
I'd like to see that study. Sounds like one person's fantasy to me.  

There's a reason almost all target shooters and Olympic shooters shoot heavier risers.  I suppose there's a point at which they might become too heavy, but a heavier riser is easier for most folks to steady and hold on target, in addition to its resistance to movement caused by minor shooting flaws.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
I like my selfbows to be light in hand and never used a bow quiver on them. I prefer a bow quiver on my Treadway longbow though. For some reason the extra weight near the center helps me hold the bow steady and improves my shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
There are other factors though...last year I had bursitis in my left shoulder...I could lift my lighter bows but there was no way that I could get my 2 1/2+ pound bows up to shooting level

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
I don't know....I've grown to love longbows and I'm just as accurate  with my longbows than any other bows I own....including heavier risered recurves......guess it all boils down to form....which I feel is paramount no matter if its recurve....longbow...or selfbow
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
I like a light to moderate weight longbow with a bow quiver strapped on it.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
I guess as long as more mass weight equals more structural rigidity....you would be correct in theory..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
If you are jerking/flinching/torquing then you have problems a heavy bow can't fix.

I do tend to shoot better with a bow quiver on, the extra wt does help steady the bow arm. On the other hand one of the best shooters I ever had was a clean light wt 62" Abbott longbow. I busted more nocks with that bow than any other.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 11:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
If you are jerking/flinching/torquing then you have problems a heavy bow can't fix.

I believe a heavy riser will hide these problems to an extent.  If I give my 3# recurve 2# worth of jerking/torquing and compare the effect of same 2# jerking/torquing force applied to a >1# longbow and the difference will be clear.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
I'm with Terry on this one.

Personally I prefer a light bow.  I refer to my bow as "bitchy" because it lets me know immediately if I need to correct my form.  

I know guys want all the advantages they can while hunting but personally I find if I am shooting a very forgiving bow, my form becomes sloppy.

As far as hunting goes, I'm just a  poor hunter.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©