3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: did it...my first out-of-state hunt!  (Read 950 times)

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
did it...my first out-of-state hunt!
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Well...this was the year to finally start putting these dreams into reality. I posted on 'Commitment' earlier in the spring as part of my taking action and reaching out to those of you who have been doing this for awhile.
About 9 days ago I went to work with my truck packed and left the Upper Peninsula at around 6pm with manic fever to reach my mountain destination of Missoula!  Drove 6 hrs that evening then holed up in a 'ma n pa' motel for a short sleep somewhere in Minnesota before getting back on the road.
I brought 2 outdoor books on tape to listen to. On the way out I enjoyed American Buffalo (he draws a tag for an Alaska herd). As the truck reached the Rosevelt Nat. Park in N. Dakota I was thrilled! The topography was changing and I was getting west. Saw a bison standing in his dusty wallow watching the free way there.
Then...Montana!!

Seemed like I was almost there already! But...the state goes on forever!  Something funny...speed limit was 80. I set the cruise for 85 as in Michigan I drive 5 over everywhere and am still passed constantly. But...here...I was passing everyone. That seemed strange. I eventually saw a trooper in East bound and with plenty of median between he and I. Didn't think anything of it till a minute later he was flying up behind me at about 120 mph!! So...got 40 dollars added to my trip and a 'good luck on your hunt' from my first Montanan!!! (cruise now set to 80)
There's a 24 wait if you buy a bear tag so I got it soon as I got into Gallatain...

Now I had something to boil up or pan fry back home if the bear weren't cooperative...(I eat tag soup all the time)

Reached Missoula around 10 pm and stayed the night with my friend Brandon (Pinky, he says he's met you before. I believe there is a mutual friend, Aikido instructor you guys know? )
Next morning it was off to the trail head and up into the mountains!  I had to hike in above the South Zone to where you can camp and my hike was 3.5 miles before I finally stopped up along a cold mountain creek. I hardly remember the hike cause I was so stoked!

I had debated on shelters for the trip. I didn't really know what to expect so decide to play it safe and use a tent for base camp and bring my lite Bushcraft tarp for any trips out from there. I do a lot of Bushcraft skills and wondered about incorporating them into the trip, but when I got there, my focus was all on being out of camp hunting. There was the slight possibility of grizzlies in the area so I kept camp as clean as possible and got my food bag and pack up high a good 100 yards from camp.

I cooked down there by my pack and the creek well away from the tent.

Once camp was set, I was ready to explore/hunt. I had brought in my Bison pack on the larger external pack. I was glad I did as it was great for the actual days spent in the high country. Another thing that I was very very glad I had purchased was a water bladder. I brought a 3 L Platypus and it was an absolute lifesaver!!  This is not L water bottle country by any means!! The air is so dry. Having the bladder to sip from meant I could focus on a 7-8 hr hunt above basecamp without having to drop down the steep to get water.

One of the first things I realized was that this was not going to be the 'classic' glass and stalk country I was envisioning all winter. The meadows are there, but they were fairly small and the hills were mostly timbered and steep. This brought my spirits down at times and I wondered if I should pack out and go elsewhere. But, I decided to stick with the location and do my best. My routine became waking up before the sun, climbing up high, and then sitting over a meadow where I had seen sign. Once the shadows of morning where gone I would slowly work my way down going from one timber clearing to the next.

The sign was there for sure and I had no doubts plenty of bear where around. But at times I felt like they could be anywhere in a vast heavy timbered region and that too much luck or chance was involved....something I had hoped to reduce with better glassing country.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: did it...my first out-of-state hunt!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
Rocks flipped, logs busted, and some scat in a few of the clearings....

I had made pemmican for the trip with dried meat and rendered beef tallow. This was my breakfast and dinner. At around 1-2 I made it back to camp for my main meal, a pot of coffee and a rest. I had made my own dried food from dried meat, rice, and veggies and would boil this stew. Often at this time I would be frustrated and the break would revitalize me and get me ready for the second part of the day...

In the afternoon I got another long hunt. I would end the day setting up over a meadow where I had seen sign. It was beautiful over the mountains with wildflowers in full bloom. I saw both mule deer and whitetail every day. I saw 5 bull elk total and each wearing their velvet antlers. The trails were amazing to a flatlander from the UP with almost zero deer per square mile in some areas!!

My highlight was on about the 4th night when I was setting up over a creek meadow that had bear tracks along the silt. Just before dark I heard a stick crack to my right and looked over 20 yards to see a big bull elk slipping down the mountain into the clearing where he fed at about 30 yards!!  I was stoked!!

One of my biggest challenges was mental.  Every day I asked myself if I were hunting hard enough, was there anything I wasn't doing that I should be doing, was I being careful enough, aware enough, looking hard enough,.....I'd say to myself 'what would the greats do if they were here (like Fred Bear) and am I falling short of that?'. 'How can I be a better hunter TODAY...right NOW'.  I really struggled with this and it would often be easy to become frustrated by not feeling like I had as high 'success' strategy (spot and stalk?) as I had planned to enjoy on the trip. So...I just kept asking the questions and making sure I pushed myself.
My fears of being alone (My local contact had said he'd heard of mountain lion following bowhunters up there...and there was a slight chance of grizzly) were present much of the time and really became a challenge when shadows turned to dark. At one point I found a nice meadow about an hour walk above camp with bear sign. The nagging questions were going through my mind of how I should hunt it ('what would Fred do here?'). I knew I had to stay near the clearing and be sitting above it at first light. The best way to do that was to set up my tarp in the timber and do an overnight. This took pushing myself because now I was really back in there and brought up my fears...but this was a trip to face those limitations and hear the answer to what I 'should' do and to not be a candy cane. So, camping away from the main camp became part of my technique...

All night I kept thinking: 'if a grizzly jumps on my tarp in the night I play dead; if a black bear I fight back...but, how will I know which it is in the dark!!?'

Another challenge was just coming back from a hunt in the dark. There was a grouse hanging around camp. One afternoon I came back and he was just a pile of feathers and nearly steaming it was so fresh. I made my mid-day meal and prepared to go out for the evening. As I left I pushed through the thick shrubs along the creek. Suddenly I heard a loud and awful mammal cry. Like a woman's scream mixed with mammal tones. The birds everywhere began to call their alarm calls. I knew I needed to be off hunting and would have to push my way home through this same thick area in the dark that evening. On the way back I used the mantra 'Im the most dangerous predator in these mountains'...it kinda worked...but I couldn't zip up the tent fast enough when I returned.

Gradually my 5 days turned into what feels like one long day of hunting that sped by quickly. I never saw a bear. I learned lots about myself and the mountains...and I guess that was the main point of the trip. I had seen that I was capable of walking up and down the steep all day (would be real sore in the mornings up until day 3). I felt good about the Commitment I had made to learn and push myself so that I can experience hunting to its fullest.

My questions to you that have had these same challenges:  What have you done to deal with things like scent?  I am used to whitetail hunting where I have to have scent control maximized. Here in the mountains I am sweating up for 1 and 1/2 hours up the mountain before I even start the hunt. I washed up in the cold creek but still could smell odor. Suggestions?? Guess I still got close to the elk and deer by using the wind factor. Is that what it comes down to?  How about the mental game?  Have you asked similar questions to yourself? I would hear my mind wandering with doubt and frustrations and then try to bring it back and focus on a 'mindful predator' mentality/focus. Seemed to work somewhat...  what have you done?  
I liked having my day pack (Bison ) and brought it in with the main pack which I ditched. My plan was to bring down what meat I could with the smaller pack (expandable game bag) and go back to the meat with the larger pack (hung or submerged in cold creek). Do you hunt with separate packs?
What would you add to this trip next year??  Is there better topography to glass and stalk than I had here...or is that part of the mental game (grass always greener)?
What do you think about solo trips like this vs having a partner? Probably help with the mental game I bet...seems like lots of advantages to having a partner...though I wouldnt not hunt just because I didn't have someone to go with.

Anyway...please give me your suggestions and help me add to my experience so that my future hunts will be even more efficient and fruitful!

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
deleted

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Sounds like a great hunt.  The odor thing is tough with the sweating on the steep hikes.  I use merino base layers and unscented baby wipes and you have to use the wind.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
Forgot to mention I enjoy both the solo and partner hunts.  They are very different experiences.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
Spring bear hunting is very difficult (no berries) but lots of green grass and logs full of ants.
Sit and watch the meadows like you did or try some attractants if legal. Here in WA A buddy and I found a ridge using a 4x4 to get there were the bear would walk the roads and feed on the green grass in the spring. We went to same place in the fall to hunt, this area is closed in the spring but we would walk the roads very slow and find the berries and watch them, very hard way to hunt bear. When we could bait we has several bears at our baits. It takes lots of time to locate bear in the spring and they do not seem to hang out but move a lot to find food.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
Enjoyed the write up.
My buddy of mine always wiped down with rubbing alcohol before he left camp. So that's what I do, it does seem to knock out any type of smell. If anything...it kills the smell in my arm pits so I don't have to smell them.LOL

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:44:00 AM »
Is it reasonable to think that I could find areas that would increase the chance of seeing bear?  Maybe foothills with more degree of openings that could be scanned?  I also wondered if I should have made my hunt earlier in the season when the bear had fewer green areas to choose from. When I was there it was pretty lush all over and bear sign was well distributed. The book I read was by an author who had lived in MT and mentions glassing bear along a glacier slide?  
I had thought about doing an Ontario spring hunt but wanted to do more of my own self-guided spot and stalk style hunt.

Dan

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Scent control is impossible in the mountains. Learn to use the wind as effectively as possible.

As mentioned above, spring bears are moving a lot following green-up. Two indicators of elevation of feed are dandelions and fiddleheads. If both of those plants are in early bloom, that is the elevation the bears will most likely be at. Foothills are most likely the first place to green up, but by the time you were hunting they were probably moving to the higher elevation areas in preparation for rutting activity.

Bears are territorial, and the best habitat (most food/least human interference) is inhabited by the most mature and dominant bears. Remote avy chutes away from trails and roads meet that requirement.

Your time spent having stew at 1-2 is when you should have been glassing meadow edges and avy chutes. Bears aren't like ungulates, so the "out at first light" mentality is wasted. 10AM to 2PM then from about 6:30PM to dark are the best times in mid-late spring to chase bears.

Good on you for testing gear and resolve. Always best to trial run gear before the fall, and spring bears are a great way to see some country and check out your systems to see what works and what doesn't.

This is just my personal view, but there is no comparison between spot and stalk bear and hunting over bait. Once you have been ground level at ten yards or under on a bear's own terms, sitting in a tree will most likely seem kind of tame. YMMV
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
Awesome.  It's not all about the kill, it's about the experience.

A good experience without a kill is still a good thing
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
NRA Life Member

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Great hunt you did everything you could , it just was not your time to kill a bear. Maybe you will run across one in September on our elk hunt. I like my solo time in the mountains but I do like hunting with good friends ( a real bad time if you end up with bad attitudes in a backwoods camp ) good people make for a good camp. And one thing is for sure you will find out in a hurry what guys are made of on a backpack hunt. I always learn new things on every hunt about myself my gear or my friends , we may not always pack out meat but we always bring out new adventure stories. Learn from every experience and the success will follow......

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
No bear but a great experience for sure. Loved your pictures. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had great weather, so you were blessed. Weather can be so fickle; bad can ruin a hunt in a NY second. I personally like to camp with a bud for safety sake, but actually hunt on my own. On that note, I have found that many people want to talk about making a trip like yours but seldom do. You are to be commended for chasing your dream.   :thumbsup:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Excellent adventure! Great job, I think a lot of NR hunters may go home without game but great memories!

One elk hunt(no elk) a bear got between bro and I ,growling like crazy,,we were a couple hundred yards apart with dark coming on.

When we met up and headed for camp, he says" kinda glad you have a junk knee, I can out run ya this way!"   :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
Daniel,
Great adventure and read.
Thank you for sharing.
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Bill...yes, mostly weather was great!  Did have intermittent showers one day. Another evening I had a storm come in as I was walking back in the dark. It came over the western mountain pretty fast and I put my Frog Tog. poncho over me and bow. It made things a bit more disorienting for a bit in the dark with my LED head lamp making everything glow in that odd way those lights do. Had more trouble finding my way through the brushy creek bottom but eventually got to my tent.

I was glad I went with the poly style pant (inexpensive on sale green ones from ll beans for 40 bucks) and they dried out fast. I used the merino layering system with one full set clothing including a light puff down vest (Goodwill 6 dollars) and a Asbell wool zipper hoodie. I did carry 2 pair of merino underwear and socks and would wash in creek and alternate. This system worked very well and did not add a lot of weight or bulk to my pack.

Dan

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
Dan,  You had some great weather and it sounds like a good trip.   To bad you did not get to see any of those bears.  On many occasions when i am searching for elk i find the bears and no elk.  guess it works both ways.   :rolleyes:  
Thanks for sharing your adventure with great pictures to boot.    :thumbsup:
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 05:26:00 PM »
read this on scent control- i used to be a scent control nut- now i am just a nut i guess   :D  
 http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2015/10/can-scent-elimination-sprays-beat-the-nose-of-a-drug-sniffing-dog

great story- and a great adventure- sounds like you had a great time-
kudo's
 glad you went and did it!!!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
Great pics and a fine write up!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Ya done good.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

Finding Spring bear in the Mountains is very difficult.  There's not one behind every bush.  You might consider packing a can of bear spray.  Provides some peace of mind.

Hunting solo is good for the mind and soul.  A partner can help keep  one's spirits up, can also work to drag them down if it's the wrong partner.  When I hunt with a partner, we hunt solo, but we always look forward to sharing and comparing experiences at the end of the day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©