3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who has switched from glove to tab? (first shots) and more questions.  (Read 971 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have never used a tab, always used a Alaska Super glove which are not made any more. will try a Big Shot glove but defiantly thinking about trying a tab. for those of you who have switched was it hard to get use to a tab?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
I bounce back and forth between my bigshot  and my widow tab constantly . If my main focus is to build habit in form and release, I tend to grab my tab. I can feel for torque better since thats a battle I fight. If im just concentrated on shooting  for enjoyment, and long sessions , I tend to grab my glove. For me, it makes little difference from one to the other, since im use to both. The transition from the beginning was quite natural for me, but like so many things in archery, each person has to figure out what works best for themselves.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
thanks for the info which gets me thinking about another question, I could never wear a light glove when using a shooting glove when its cold and i'm hunting, can you wear a light ( liner glove ) with a tab over it?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I used a glove (Damascus) for a couple of years but switched to a tab (Cavalier Elite).

Beyond about a day of shooting (few dozen shots) it was not difficult to get used to it. I had used a tab back in 1975-1985.

I could wear a thin glove under the tab but I don't. I trust the feel of a naked hand under the tab. I'm sure if I devoted a few days to shooting with the thin glove I'd be fine but not having a glove doesn't bother me. I don't wear one on my bow hand either.  My bow is on a hook and hands are in pockets or hand muff when it is cold.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Ken, it wasn't an easy transition for me. I tied some of the best tabs available and hated 'em. It may have been just me, but the only thing I can attribute it to was "feeling" the string and how it slid off the fingers. I used a Kustom King classic glove with soft(non-cordovan)stalls.  I could not shoot cordovan faced tabs for a long time(I do now).  It was just too slick and the string came off as a "surprise", which sounds like it would be a good thing.  I finally tried the Black Widow 3U tab.  They're inexpensive and I think it has a synthetic face.  If it's leather it's soft and not slick. That's the only tab I've ever been able to interchange with a glove, but your mileage may vary. I've moved on to "moose-snot-slick" tabs now.  They feel "natural", but sure didn't at first. Most have elastic loops and I don't see why you could wear something like a golf glove under it, but I'd practice with it. I've got a new BW back-up I've never used if you want to try it.  It's a RH medium. Many tabs need to be trimmed to fit if you've got weird finger lengths like I do.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
Ken - I always used a glove, then switched to a tab about 7 years ago. It was pretty easy to get used to.  I doubt that I will ever use a glove again!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
I switched to tabs about 5 year's ago and now I wonder how I shot with a glove, lol. The transition for me took all of 15 mintues to adjust to. The tab definitely helped improve my consistency in shooting.

However when I am rabbit hunting or bow fishing I still use a glove or bare fingers!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Was not a difficult transition for me but took a little while to get comfortable and feel normal.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
I went with a glove when I switched back as that is what I used as a teen. I have considered switching myself for a wimpy kind of reason.....can you wear a light glove with a tab and if so what would be a good tab for that?
SWA Spyder

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Shot with a glove for 50 years or so. Went to a friends to shoot on his property and forgot my glove. He let me use one of his cordovan tabs. Never shot a glove again.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who has switched from glove to tab? (first shots) and more questions.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
I started with a glove but switched to a tab many years ago and haven't looked back.Tried going back to a glove but didn't just have the same feel or control I like.

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
Even when I was a kid I liked the way I shot with a tab, but bowhunters used gloves, not tabs. Or so I thought! I used a glove for years and pocked up a 3 under tab a little while ago. Just like when I was younger I really liked the way I shot. Now I just need to find the thing!! It seams to have disappeared!! When hunting i always liked the way I could flip a split finger tab out of the way to use my hand. It seam like I'm always digging in my pocket for my wind checker (milkweed fuzz), chapstick, or something, and my glove always got hung up on my pocket!

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
I used a glove for over 20yrs, then got the urge to try a tab, i see no reason to ever go back to a glove, get a nice Bateman cordovan and you are all set.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
I started with a glove, but tried a tab once and never looked back. I really like them for hunting as i can get things in my pockets and stuff when  i keep it on the backside of my hand until the deer start moving. My arrows fly crazy with a glove so i guess that means i have a better release with the tab? Either way, im not switching back to a glove.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
From first kid bow to hunting recurve up to transition to compound I used a glove. Then switched to a Saunders Fab Tab backed with leather with compound for many years. When attempting to get back into trad twenty plus years ago I tried a glove again but neither glove nor trad lasted more than a few yew years. Recently got back into trad again and went back to the Fab Tab. Never considered the glove this time - gave my son one glove and put the other on the Auction. Just recently trying the Fab Tab without the leather for more intimate feel.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
I just switched about 2months ago. I shoot better and a better release. It was easy to switch with instant results.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
well just picked up a tab from Ron W and will give it a whirl today!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
ok just took around 60 shots and think I might like a tab, grouping as well as when using a glove. have a couple more questions
1) bow sounds louder when using a tab or is it just me?
2) knock arrow of string every time when I first grab string, I shoot 3 under.
3) anchor feels different know but still in same place guess I just have to shoot more and get use to it.
4) now which Tab should I get???? thinking I might like a medium/think one not sure???

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
Try a Batemen 3 under. It has an elastic band that goes around the middle finger and is adjustable.
I use a medium, but my fingers are shorter for my size. I carry two with me. One is set to go over my bare hand, the other is sized to go over a military wool liner glove. The thicker green ones. The size can be changed in a second if I lose one.
If I'm getting extra noise, I usually am to tense in my and forearm. If I relax and pull with my elbow, it quiets right down.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
here is the tab I borrowed from Ron W and seems to fit well.

here is a 3 shot group at 15 yards using my Kanati.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©