3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground Hunting Tips. What do you do?  (Read 459 times)

Offline DJT

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground Hunting Tips. What do you do?
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Trying to spend more time on the ground this year both in natural blinds as well as stalking and i seem to be getting busted a lot.  
What are your best tips for hunting from the ground?

Thanks
don

Offline Marblesonac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground Hunting Tips. What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Get used to being busted....it is MUCH harder than stand hunting

Make sure you have cover behind you, it's more important than in front of you.

Keep yourself as scent free as possible.

Keep movement to a minimum...move your eyes, not your whole head if you a drawn to a sound.  If you must move, move slow and steady.

Draw when the deers head is behind a tree or looking away if possible.
Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes....

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
Marblesonac is dead on.  When you move - move sloooooooowly.  

Keeping scent free is all well and good, but keep the wind in your face as well - that's even more important, IMO.  If you tie a bit of waxed dental floss (2 or 3 inches is good) to your string (below the upper nock somewhere) - then fray the end of the floss, you  get a super (and super cheap) wind indicator to help with this.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
A bit of down feather makes a cool wind indicator too.........I echo all of the above and moving slow cannot be emphasized enough. Like a half hour to cover 200 yards of good territory. I have literally stood on top of a pig's bed in a stump and waited for him to come out.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
if you see one deer there's probably more! try not to move til you figure out how many eyesand ears are out there.
when they ghet in close i squint my eyes or close one eye and try not to look straight at them.
i always hold my bow cause if you get caught with it hanging or on your lap you'll be lucky to get it up in time to shoot. i get in shooting postion as soon as possible and try to "track" the deer with my arrow tip.
don't be dicouraged at getting busted and stay in the woods cause anything can and will happen if you're out there with bow in hand. i pretent that there's always a deer with in sight of me.
be a predator!

HAVE FUN!!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Still Hunting and Trad Archery go together like white on rice. Just keep at it and it all will come together for you. Slow, slow, sloooooo. Try to get hold of an old video called "Eye Level Bucks", a Stony Wolf production with Mike (Lapinski).

Oh Yea...... Don't still hunt with Joe Skipp. He moves too fast.  ;)

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
Been doin the busted thing myself-love the ground though so I say getting busted is what makes it fun. everyone has chimed in but I will say use shadows!! avoid sunlight beams like the plague.

if your setup is in the sun forget it that is the good thing about the ground you can move! Just keep tryin

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I took a pair of old leather chukka shoes, cut the stitching between the sole and the rest of the shoe, and removed the sole.  Then I laced on some leather to cover the bottom.  Then I went to BassPro and bought a pair of knee-high waterproof Sealskinz socks.  I wear wool socks, the Sealskinz, and the leather "moccasins", and can sneak through the woods all day.  Much quieter than my boots.  And... like the other guys say, you gotta move very slow...
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Bloody heck - I got busted tonight, still hunting.  :-D

My son had been shotgunning for squirrels (he got one) so the woods were far from quiet.  Anyway, we were moving pretty slowly up a ridge when we both felt something in the area.  

In spite of my advice from earlier, I had failed to pay adequate attention to the wind, but we squatted down and I called once with a doe blat.

Either my call was poorly done or the deer caught our scent, but whatever it was - we saw butt hair.

Who cares - what a great and fun evening.  Next time, I gotta watch that wind and move even slower.

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Look more than walk. Cover face and hands. Know your route before hand,so you can traverse it silently,without bending over. I like to walk on cattle trails,if a cow can get thru I usually can get thru quietly with out moving my hands or arms. Glass ahead as much as you can even if it`s thick. Stay standing upright,no bending. Wear a hat not a cap,a hat is a cylinder,not changing as you turn your head. My dad was an excellent walking hunter and these are just some of the things he told me.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
Are you still hunting or ground hunting? Wind, clothes that break up your outline and good back cover. You'll be surprised at how minimal front cover needs to be. Also, cover your face.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Yes, ground hunting is a NEW BALL GAME!  But, it can be done!  I got one last week on the ground.  Boy oh boy, will that get ya' pumped up!  Have the wind in your face, camo from head to toes, move super slow, and back into a brushpile or treelap to break-up your outline, and I use an Apache Pyramid blind (in front) to cover movement when I draw.  I would also recommend getting Mr. Asbell book on still-hunting.  Good stuff in it.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
I've been hunting from a ground (brush pile around a Tree) natural blind. So far I have one deer from the ground, that was from just walking in to the woods. I sit in front of a big tree with the brush in front of me...Still waiting to get a deer from there.

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 03:40:00 AM »
Play the wind.
I hunt bedding areas more than any where else.
Once I know I'm in a hot area I only move about 5-10 feet at a time,and I study every tree,bush,gap in the under growth ect ect.
I spend as much time listening as I do looking.
I try to hunt just after or during wet weather as it keeps my noise down a bit more than when things are dry.
On average I get a shot opertunity about once in every 6-7 encounters,and close the deal 1 in 3 of those.I don't call blowing a deer out of it's bed at 100 mph "an encounter" that's a stuff up, an I get plenty of those too.
Where I hunt,one deer in three days is good going,,,for me.

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
If you are still hunting, one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the type of clothes you wear.  If every branch and bunch of grass you brush against scrapes down your pants leg, you aren't going to see many deer.  You have to wear clothes that are soft and quiet.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©