3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting with Spectacles  (Read 984 times)

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting with Spectacles
« on: June 05, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
Well, it seems as though I may not be able to wear contacts for a while and will probably have to forgo them and wear glasses. My aging eyes are catching up to me. Blah  :)

How many of you shoot with glasses on? Anyone else have to make this transition? How'd it go? Lastly, does your bowstring come in contact with your glasses...if so, do you just get used to it? It sure does throw me off.

Thanks!

Matthew

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with Spectacles
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Been shooting with glasses for a looong time.
Don't recall ever hitting them with the string.

Do remember condensation.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 05:06:00 PM »
I have recently shot a few times successfully wearing them, and I plan to continue as long as old habits don't creep back in. Previously, I hit my glasses several times with the bowstring, and it hurt.
Sam

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
I use tite, low volume, glasses.  Take your bow in and find the ones that work for you.  The frames shouldn't interfere with the shot or site picture.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
My oldest son has never shot any other way but with glasses. He is an excellent shot i might add...

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
I wear glasses full-time, and don't have any problems shooting with them.  Condensation is the bugaboo for me, when wearing face masks.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
I wore them for years. I did not have any issues but it could be the way your head is turned. I wear sunglasses at times with no issues. I have those flyboy shaped ones.

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »
Shoot with sunglasses on quite often, no adjustments for me

Eric

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »
No issues for me and I have worn glasses for over 50 years.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
It's definately an adjustment going from never worn glasses to wearing them, but I found it finally just became natural. No problems shooting.  Fogging up, that is another can of worms.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »
I used to shoot with glasses on occasionally with no problems but when I switched back to split from 3-under i decided to start anchoring higher on my cheekbone, just under my eye. Now my glasses get in the way so I only shoot with contacts.

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
I just started with this glasses thing a couple of years ago. I opted to shoot without for the first year, now I find it easier to pick a finer point with them on. I am wearing them more and more. I think when i started shooting with them at first it was just another distraction because it is one more thing in your vision and periphery for me. I have noticed that fogging thing too.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Only problem I have with mine is the fogging as mentioned above.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
I think if you have a high anchor using 3 under it could interfere.

Not only do I shoot with glasses but also the old man over the glasses sunglasss.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
i shoot with sunglasses sometimes, I can make it work with close fitting fishing/safety type glasses. No dice with raybans or other larger frames.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
When I got progressive lens they did cause a problem. I just couldn't shoot with them, so would take them off to shoot. After some time I got to be able to shoot with them. I guess I just had to get used to the progressives.  One thing they do is force you to look directly at the target.
 Find an optometrist that specializes in sports. The one I went to does but I did not mention bow shooting. She told me later that I could have brought my bow to help with the correct glasses.
May have helped,
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Watched a man almost take the Howard Hill Classic yesterday with glasses. He's a very accomplished shooter.Fact is he has a hog killin video up on this page of the forum now and smokes two off em.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
I have tri focals with lines.  Sometimes my position causes me to find that line on the target.  Disconcerting. Then I sometimes take them off.  I have only launched my glasses once, due to faulty release.  Fogging? Yep, but there are remedies for that, altho only for a day at a time.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Thank you for chiming in Everyone!

I tried shooting again this afternoon, and have to admit that wearing my glasses is pretty distracting. I don't have any problems seeing the target, nor is it awkward looking out the side of my lenses through the initial part of the draw, but for the life of me I can't find a way to keep my string from making contact with my right frame/lens (I shoot right handed). My shooting style is already pretty open...more than most of the people I've shot with...so, I don't know that I can open it much further. Simply put, when I come to anchor (3 fingers under, middle finger in corner of my mouth) the string contacts the right side of my glasses and shove the entire right side of my frames up against my brow bone. Frames are nothing fancy...not big, not small...  Anyone have any thoughts on what my problem(s) might be?

In other ironic news: My vision is 20/450. Anything past 2-3 feet is pretty blurry. With that said, I took my glasses off today while shooting and at 15 yards grouped 2 sets of 4 arrows on target    :) . I was excited to learn my instinctive style could perform that well without being able to make out the center of the target! #maybeishouldshootblind #probablynotthebestidea

Thank you All,
Matthew

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Have worn them since way before starting to shoot bows as a kid. Guess having them almost forever never had thought about it until seeing this post. Have had progressives for about the last ten years and bifocals with lines before that and have switched left to right and back dealing with cross dominance and never had any issues with glasses.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©