3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hello from the land of cheese heads  (Read 2764 times)

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hello from the land of cheese heads
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 12:20:00 AM »
Good luck lil buddy. I'm on vacation starting wednesday. Hope we all get into some deer. Tell Brian and Di that Shannon and I say hi.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Tom, that's why they call it God's Country.  
Mickey, maybe you would see more deer if you weren't playing with your air guitar...OHhhh...air card, nevermind.  Where are you hunting, what county/town?  I'm headed north friday morning to hunt just NE of Stevens Point, then on Sunday afternoon or evening heading west to another friend's place east of Ladysmith.  The following weekend it's up to the tip of Door County.  Beautiful country to deer hunt there as well.  
Guzzi, how is the hunting by Dairyland?  Believe it or not, my mom was born there.  I might be the only one here that knows where that is besides you, LOL!  Now THAT is out in the boonies!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
keep at em Mickey!  good luck to you all.....

:archer:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Dianne B. Lotz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Well in from our morning hunt and nobody saw nuthin..and to rub it in my face, over night some buck made about 5 scrapes down the logging road we walk in on, not 50 yards from my blind. Bastad deers! LOL

Pretty windy this morning making mid 40 temps feel like mid 30 temps.

We are hunting in Burnett county, near Webb Lake (not far from Minnesota). Tom we are due west of
Oneida county by about 4 counties.Want a challenge in bow hunting? Hunt here! No food sources that we have found so far so we are hunting for the wandering and hungry deer LOL

No way to downlaod pics cause Diannes laptop doesn't have that softwear.

Hey Chad can't wait to see what comes off the farm this year 8^) Good luck tomorrow. Tell Shannon we said hey!

Will report in after tonights hunt

Ferret
Dianne

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dianne B. Lotz:

Want a challenge in bow hunting? Hunt here! No food sources that we have found so far so we are hunting for the wandering and hungry deer LOL

Of course there's food there somewhere...otherwise the deer would be extinct.  :)  Gotta get away from that Ohio mindset and stop looking for corn and bean fields.

Also need to lose the one arrow philosophy. Grouse season is in up there and ruff grouse in that country is a real challenge with a bow. If I hunted that country with one arrow I would be out of arrows 20 feet from the truck every morning.  :)  

Have fun Dianne/Mickey and bring back lots of pics.
Tom Mussatto

Offline Dianne B. Lotz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
Tom there are no acorns even though there are a million oak trees. What else would they be eating up here?

We have seen 2 grouse, both flushed wildly about 30 yards out. Challenge? Yea, I'd say so ha ha
Dianne

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
You're just looking in the wrong place all the deer have moved to the burbs.     :biglaugh:  

Pretty slim pickens this year. I have yet to come across an oak that has any acorns on it around here.  I've been out some this year, and apart from a few chatter box squirrels, I had the place to myself. I see more deer coming through town on my way home at night. I even saw a doe once that was standing on    a side street , she looked  like she was stopped at the sign (in the right lane and all) waiting for me to pass(. lol
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Forgot to add ;The only thing dropping any mast in the woods this year is hopeful hunters.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Save a few for me. I'm heading up to the Nicolet on Thursday. Hope it cools off a bit.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dianne B. Lotz:
Tom there are no acorns even though there are a million oak trees. What else would they be eating up here?

We have seen 2 grouse, both flushed wildly about 30 yards out. Challenge? Yea, I'd say so ha ha
Beats me Mickey. I've never hunted that far west in WI, always stayed in Vilas, Oneida, and Price Counties. When in doubt hunt the swamps if you've got'em over there, always something to eat there. Never stand hunted up that way either, just still hunted around 'til I bumped into something. If you're stand hunting find little narrow pieces of high ground that meander through the swamps.

Maybe it's time to visit with the locals. Would probably help to have a Wisconsin Bowhunters sticker in your truck window.  :)
Tom Mussatto

Offline guzzi2000

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
Kevin in regards to the hunting in Dairyland it has been pretty good. I had to get used to the bigger woods versus hunting in the farm country. I live about 45 miles east of LadySmith in Barron.I see you will be hunting around Ladysmith. I have to mention to watch out for the bear in that area. A bow hunter was almost pulled out of his stand by an angry sow after one of her three cubs decided to join him in his tree.
"Our arrows will blot out the sun." "Then we will fight in the shade."

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Hunting WI northwoods can be quite a challenge. I don't get up that far very often, but last year I managed a small buck at a spot that had been clearcut within the past couple of years.  The new growth coming up seemed to draw deer to the area.  
One big challenge (and problem) up there is the preponderance of bait piles.  The deer flock to the corm piles like magnets - but usually only after dark.  They seem to know a good food source when they find one, but they also know where it came from.  They get smart in a hury.
Good luck on your hunt Mickey.  No matter what the deer are doing you are in one beautiful part of the State during the most gorgeous times of the year.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Mickey, do me a favor and sleep in. Go out and hunt around 10-11 to 2-3 pm. deer movement will be best at mid-day with the moon directly overhead or underfoot. Try it and see, it cannot hurt. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Dianne B. Lotz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Well George made it in finally and we got him all unpacked. Was planning on going out but mid afternoon the wind really picked up. The older folk decided to stay in and visit, but Brian being young and impatient decided to go out anyway. Returned about an hour later complaining about the hard wind ha ha

Shawn we may have to give that a try but we wake up at 6 AM anyway so might as well get dressed and see what's walking about.

There is quite a bit of swamp and ponds around here. Will have to wander down that  way and check it out.
Dianne

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
Mickey, check the Aspen/Alders that are around 5 years old. I would bet the deer are eating twigs and buds.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Hey Mickey have fun and good luck!!!!
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Raspberry briars,sumacs,beechnuts young hemlock and perhaps white cedar.Most places round here where you find berry briars will be all nibbled and chewed untit the frost kills off all the leaves.
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Dianne B. Lotz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
George slept in this morning, but Dianne, Brian and I went out. Unfortunately Di and Bri saw piney squirrels and I saw nothing.

Going scouting in a bit and trying to find some new spots for this evenings hunt.

High 30's this morning and clear, and the wind died down. Should be a great evening.
Dianne

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
You fella's need to go about 150 miles NW to be in Gods Country. LOL. or better yet the BWCA, now that's some pretty country!

Hunting in the big woods sure is tough with a stick and string, even tougher without being able to scout year round. The big woods DO have some monster bucks though!

Sounds like the weather is going to be nice right through the weekend.

Good luck to you.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Ferret, hang in there man maybe something will turn up.     :pray:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©