3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cool Springs Gang Rides Again (8 pt pics)  (Read 814 times)

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
Cool Springs Gang Rides Again (8 pt pics)
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
It was time again for the Cool Springs Traditional Bowhunters to have our annual Deer/Bear hunt.  Off we went to the beautiful mountains of Madison County Virginia.  In attendance were many Trad Gangers and a few lurkers.  Here are some pictures:

Setting up for some rainy weather. Two Hats, Wild Bill and Bear Paw.

Lunch time break: Nook, Two Hats, Bear Paw, Richie, Paradocs:

Bear Paw and his nice Eight Point:

My Contribution to Conservation:

Wild Bill took this nice doe:

I hope our attendees will chime in with there stories and thoughts.  I heard, but didn't witness Green Arrow attendance Thursday afternoon.  Hey Kyle you a Daddy again....  And, A.S. was in attendance but Ducked the Camera.  From what I hear he didn't duck the Poison Ivy.   :eek:  

I need to run and will add more later.   Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cool Springs Gang Rides Again (8 pt pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
congrats guys , nice deer :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
real nice deer you guys congrats  :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline rugrat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
Congratulations to all  :thumbsup:

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Looks like a fine time was had by all! Breaking in that blacktail right, aren't ya Jeff?
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Thanx for the responces.  Jeff... Sorry I missed you in VA.  Deer season is nuts around here.  Just added a pic and wanted to give my equipment.

My deer was taken with a 62" Blacktail 55@29, 530gr Goldtip and Woodsman.  Shot her on a evening hunt in a light rain.  Shot distance 18 yrds from a Lone Wolf climber.  The wound was little far back, so recovered her in the morning.  Had to do a grid search due to the rain washing out all blood sign. Traveled ~ 150 yrds. Richie helped me drag her up a steep old logging road ~120 yds.  His Quote "Aint no way that thing only weights 80lb."  I appreciated the help.  :biglaugh:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Hey Tom,  didn't see your post.  Yeah she's getting a workout for sure.  Love this bow.  She shoots better than I do. Have you been hunting with yours?   Jeff
PBS Regular

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
Congratulations to the Cool Springs gang!  That is a good looking buck and "Conservation" thanks you for your doe harvests  ;)
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Dang I just keep posting.  Got a pic with Green Arrow, Alan and Wild Bill.  I think Green Arrow is having dark thoughts....

PBS Regular

Offline Two Hats

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
It was a wonderful time.I got a shot on Wednesday afternoon,but as with all this year I was high behind the shoulder again.Deer fine me well thats another pain to deal with.
  Thanks to all the Cool Springs bunch for making the trip another sucess.One of these years ole two hats aka "shootm high" will score in my home county of Madison.
  As for the gang see ya'll this weekend on the second leg of the hunt on Seven Gables Farm.
  Hats off to all the grub supplied,and espically to BearPaw for the use of his family's lake AKA Lillardville..LOL

PS .....A.S. and Green Arrow call me if you make it this weekend gotta plan stand sites....
An Angel once wrote: Many people will walk in and out of your life,but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart!!

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Travis really needs to get on here and tell his story; it's a good 'un  :campfire:  

Had a great time in Madison/Lillardville; lookin' forward to next year.  Y'think we can arrange for it to be a bit drier?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
C'mon, Travis!

Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Congrats Fellas.  :thumbsup:   Glad you guys had some fun.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Hey guys, sorry again I had to leave early. Looks like Sat was the day to be there! I was a little tied up myself this evening!

10 yards, perfect shot (as usual---LOL!!) She went about 60 yards. The Woodsman left a blood trail my 3 year old could have followed! Looks like I had to get back on the flat ground to kill one.

Offline Green Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
Man that was some beautiful country!!  my only "dark thoughts" Nook were about not being able to be there for the entire hunt! (good thing i only live about 30 minutes away so i can come next year too)  congrads to everyone on a great, and successful, hunt and to the host for feeding me lunch and for taking care of everyone. just seems perfect that ole Bear Paw got that beautiful buck...he sure earned it, and hosted a great hunt.

no baby yet Nook, ole Summer, my wife, is a week past the due date and READY....she's feelin' pretty good though and we're playing the waitin' game... can't wait for little number two to enter the world!

i did slip away for a little squirrel hunt the day after i left you fellas.  i made a nice shot on an ole squirrel way up a poplar tree, should have taken some pics for the "cool springs hall of fame"   :)   i've shot two squirrels with that great northern but ain't got no deer with it yet...  missed my first one with the bow week before last.  learned some good lessons and was thank for the clean miss.  someone said that on here at one time, pray for straight shots or clean misses.

it is an honor to hunt with you boys!
 :)
Kyle
"Everything the power of the world does it does in a circle." -Black Elk

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
Don't worry Kyle, we'll get that stick broken in good in a few days.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
Good job guys, thanks for sharing.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Looks like a successful gathering.  Congrats.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
Nook thanks for posting, looks like you guys had a blast.  we sure did have a lot of hunts here in VA this year.  are you going to make it down to Fulfillment at all this week?  i think the gang will be arriving tis evening so there should be some pics and stories coming shortly.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Bear Paw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
My first time on the trad gang.  First, a big shout out to all my buds in the Cool Springs crew.  Thanks for joining me for the annual hunt there in Madison.  I owe all of my success in traditional archery to my friends Nook and Two Hats who got me into this stuff.  I'm clearly obsessed.

So.....the 8pt.......
This is the second biggest buck I've harvested with a longbow.
Taken with a 53#, 54" Treadway, 430grain carbon arrow with a 125grain vented Magnus doing the dirty work.  

About 8:30AM, last Saturday, a mature doe and yearling buck were the first deer to show themselves high up on a mountain ledge full of dropping red oaks.  It was definitely the coolest and most still morning of the four-day hunt.  We endured pretty hot temps, storms and high winds the other three days.  I intended on shooting the doe and passed a couple of nice 20 yard opportunities because they were obviously going to be there for a while feeding.  About the time I was preparing to take a 15-yard shot on the doe I heard the sound of thrashing in the thick cover below me on the ridge.  I looked that way to see this guy grunting, lip curling and rubbing every little sapling he got to as he approached.  As if that's not enough excitement another much smaller 8 pt appeared on the ridge doing the same thing! The larger 8pt that was now at about 18 yards coming straight at me did a complete 180, showed his dominance and pushed the little dude away.  The doe is now at 10 yards and I'm thinking I'm bound to get busted.  But, she eased on up the ridge and the big 8 followed grunting with every couple of steps.  I was blessed with a 10 yard, walking, broadside shot.  Pretty sure the shot was slightly back.  So, I had to wait before going back to find him.   Both Nook and paradocs joined me that afternoon.  We found him at the bottom of the hollow where I last saw him go.  One lung/liver.

Something is burnt in my memory that I thought I'd share.  I wasn't sure where I would go that morning.  I was feeling a little guilty about sending my cousin, Richie, up a ridge with instructions of where to go instead of going up there with him.  I had hunted that ridge two mornings already and Friday afternoon I saw some incredible sign on the ridge where I ended up.  I just couldn't decide weather to go with Richie or go to the other ridge.  I was sitting with Nook about to send him on his way.  He turned to me and said, "go with your gut."  Richie got to the right spot and almost had a shot on a nice 6 point and I took a nice 8.   I guess my gut was right this time.  

Peace,
Travis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©