3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: switched to tab thoughts and questions now with pic's  (Read 736 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
switched to tab thoughts and questions now with pic's
« on: June 09, 2016, 05:20:00 AM »
i'm in the process of switching from glove to tab, received a Batemans Cordovan in the mail yesterday. ordered the medium and found out rather quick I should have ordered large, it works fine but fingers tend to creep over a bit and get a little sore on some shots. also bottom fingers gets caught and I have to push it through to put behind tab, is this normal? would seem to me maybe I should trim tab a bit so it does not get caught at all or as tab wears in will it be more flexible and just push through with ease? I have noticed I have a HUGE improvement on a smoother release as compared to using a glove. just going to take some more getting use to as far as when I first grip the strip and making sure all 3 fingers are together and in proper placement not going over the tab. another advantage is the different brands of tabs as compared to gloves as I had found only one glove I loved ( no longer made! ) and looks like a bunch of different tabs that I would like. i'm still in the learning process of getting use to the tab but I see advantages and I think it will work great! now if anyone wants to trade a large Bateman for a medium i'm your man!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: switched to tab thoughts and questions now with pic's
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 06:49:00 AM »
If I am understanding correctly, the tab catches the string on your bottom fingers? If that's the case you will become more comfortable with the tab and it won't be a problem.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
I probably could have used a medium but put scissors to the bottom of my Lg. and now I think it's fine.Still not sure I shoot it any better than my old home made one though.

Offline Dewey11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
I'm in the process of switching from glove to a tab and Ryan Sanpei's video on YouTube really helped me. I started taking deeper hooks with it and it's really improved my shooting

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
'bottom fingers gets caught and I have to push it through to put behind tab'

Can you explain this another way, not following it. If you are referring to the elastic band it slides over center/long finger only.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
Some of the un-comfort may be coming from a stiff/new tab. When i made the switch my tab was hard on my fingers until it got broke in. I bet it will work itself out with time.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 08:05:00 AM »
will add pic's photobucket running slowwwwwwww and I have to go to work...

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by katman:
'bottom fingers gets caught and I have to push it through to put behind tab'

Can you explain this another way, not following it. If you are referring to the elastic band it slides over center/long finger only.
There were exactly my thoughts. Not getting a clear pic of what you are trying to say there?

Bisch

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
first pic shows where it feels comfortable but a bit too short.

next pic shows if I push tab forward a bit fits good but I really do not want to have to think, move tab forward to get a good fit, a large should solve the problem with consistant fir as soon as in position right?

last pic is of where exactly should my little finger rest? curled under or against tab?

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »
when I get ready to put tab on string seems like little finger is always in front of tab and I have to lift/push over tab every time maybe will get more use to it and easier as tab brakes in I guess.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
My fingers are longer than my tab approximately same amount and this work better for me, just keep shooting it. My wife hated a tab, finally took her glove out of her bow case one day and we went to 3d range and handed her a tab, I heard some mumbling and complaining first two target lanes, then by lane four it was complete silence and she's never wore a glove since
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
Hey Ken, so this is what has worked for me- maybe some of it will help but mostly probably not.
anyway- my journey to 3 under was fraught with frustration-  nobody to help and i couldnt get a tab that i liked- i used to shoot the calf hair tabs when i shot split. which i liked, except that the calf hair wore off real quick, and they got a terrible string groove in them. i bought and traded and tried about half a dozen different tabs- never found one that i truly liked. everyone is different i guess! so decided to make my own.
 so i kinda modelled it on the calf hair tabs- with three super thin layers of leather in the tab area- and only 2 in the finger ring part- i made it long enough so that i could trim it to where i wanted it for length and size.
i used goat leather- which many years later and many thousands of shots still does not have a string groove in it- cordovan would probably do the same .
i like my tab to sit on my middle finger between  my first knuckle and my hand- kinda where one would wear a ring. and the tab to be just long enough so that my finger tips dont get grabbed by the string as it slips off- starts to hurt after a while. but not to long that there is excess.
when i go to shoot i dont want to have to think about positioning the tab- just on shooting.
hope these pics help- but kinda hard to get a good one handed pic.

damn cant get the pics to download- will try later when my 14 year old gets home   :D  she can help me!

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
Ken,
When I begin to pick up the string, I bend my little finger back and this gets it out of the way. I'm not familiar with a Bateman tab, but I would call them and ask if the dimensions of the large tab would give your fingers more protection. In your pictures the tab appears wide enough so a question that I have is are you using a deep hook? If you are then I would continue shooting with it and your problems with the tab should go away.

Rick

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
:banghead:  I told you to buy a large.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
I too am slightly confused by what you mean. If you're referring to the pinky, it should not be behind the tab. I curl mine back toward my palm. Never thought about it before but now you have me aware and I'm not sure that's good. I already have enough to think about executing the shot   without that. Thanks   :biglaugh:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 07:22:00 PM »
Little finger should not be near string at all. Should be curled back away. Use your thumb to hold it back.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
Ok, thanks for the pics, seems the tab is to long top to bottom in your pic so a large will make it worse. Your fingers appear thin so that may explain the tab over hang. I keep my little finger slightly flexed, about the same as the fourth. I think contracting it to your palm could cause extra tension in your hand, not good.

Keep shooting it where it gives your finger tips protection. I would take a pair of heavy scissors and cut the bottom just below you fourth finger parallel to it. Now your pinky won't hang up.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
shot some more tonight getting much more comfortable not sure if i'm going to switch to tab yet but definitely plan too by August well before hinting season, still want to work the kinks out.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
I actually kypte my sons 3u Bateman. Ive always shot with med.gloves. I thought his tab was a small. Thought I would need a little bigger one for the same reasons your having. Then I learned it was a med. after shooting with it for a while I would not want a large. Try sliding the,tab up a little on your middle,finger and a,deep hook does,help  I touch my thumb and pinky together and the 3 draw fingers are pointing back at me. And maintain that deep hook till the shot goes off don't creep. It does take a while to break it in.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 11:33:00 PM »
Looking back at your pic. You should be fine with the med. Adress  the string right on the edge of the seem and like I said point those fingers right back at you (deep hook) give it a few weeks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©