3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting and municipalities  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting and municipalities
« on: June 09, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
After backyard shooting for decades, I recently found out that there is an ordinance prohibiting such activity within city limits, even on private property with a fenced in yard as I have. (Oops!) Has anyone else run into this, and how did you deal with it? (ignore, comply with, etc?) Has anyone ever had a bow confiscated by LEO's as a result of complaints, etc?
I would hate to have a run-in with LEO's...we have a bunch of new neighbors and you never know how people will react.

From the code of city ordinances, verbatim:

No person shall shoot or fire an arrow, dart, spear or other sharp projectile by means of a bow, crossbow or other like instrument.

How would you deal with this issue?
Aim small,miss small

Online Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting and municipalities
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
Yes; I live in City limits and can't shoot in my yard. My neighbors back yard however backs up to where City limits ends, he lets me shoot there. I am still shooting in city limits but haven't had any problems so far.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
I'd put blunts on my arrows and argue that I was not shooting a "Sharp projectile".  That's also why I live in the country, and I can't imagine a cop confiscating a bow over an ordinance violation.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
Our village forbids discharging a firearm within village limits.  New York State considers bows firearms.  NY state also forbids discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, unless you own it or have permission.  And BB guns are firearms in our state.  

So I am careful where I shoot.  Fortunately I have plenty of areas to shoot.   :archer2:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I'd put blunts on my arrows and argue that I was not shooting a "Sharp projectile".  
You make a very good point! Not sure an LEO would buy that, but if you went to court over it you could certainly use it as an argument for the defense. However, since "wrist rockets" shooting ball bearings (which are also arguably, 'blunt') are also prohibited, you would very likely lose the case.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
As a footnote, I always assumed shooting a recurve was sort of a 'backyard family activity' (much like playing Jarts, which are now illegal in most municipalities, BTW!)and had a sort of "no harm, no foul" air about it. Now that I know, however, it becomes a much bigger white elephant in the room to wrestle with.
"Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law"
..but then again,
"Ignorance is bliss"
Which door would you choose...Door Number One or Door Number Two?
Aim small,miss small

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
Technically,you are not supposed to break the law to uphold the law.
And that one goes out the window every day in every state by eight a.m. at the latest..

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
Kind of funny... Up here, where bowhunting is illegal, a bow isn´t considered a weapon and can be used everywere except in public places.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
Unless someone complains I'd keep shooting and also keep my mouth shut with other people about it. Maybe cover the target up and have the surrounding neighbors over for a cookout and some beers to build goodwill.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
Tall fences make for great neighbors!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
Just shoot inside your house .
I'm sure your wife won't mind .   :knothead:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
Keep shooting and do it safely. Make yourself some blunts from field points so you aren't using a sharp object by any stretch. Don't let anybody know about it or move, I love archery too much to not be able to shoot at my home. I also live in a neighborhood and shoot in the backyard daily. I have plywood barriers set up and super high-quality high fence

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
Thankfully, where I live, I don't have to worry about that but if I did live within the municipal limits that ban it, I would most likely break the law but do it safely. Enjoy this stuff so much I couldn't bear not shooting.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Wives have a knack for finding out when you've been shooting inside the house...

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
I work for Country government, and part of my job is the interpretation and application of County ordinances and state statutes to their respective situations.

Being aware of the existence of several no-projectile ordinances in our metro area, when the time came I bought a house where I could legally shoot in my yard.  I also spoke with the Sheriff before shooting there, and even had an officer come to my house and discussed it with him.  I also cleared it with my neighbors, and now all is well.

I would recommend NOT breaking the law, and instead finding another way to shoot legally.  You can try to get the law changed, or perhaps find an exception clause... but if you do shoot illegally, you are putting yourself in a bad situation.  Any errant arrows, or angry neighbors, or accidents, or injuries may result in legal problems for you.  

I had to call the Sheriff once, when a crazy ex-jailbird on drugs walked into my yard and tried to get my bow away from me while I was shooting.  (That was CRAZY.)  I had no problems with the officer when he showed up, and am glad I was on solid ground with respect the law.

Those laws may be unwelcome, but consider that we live in a society where in many neighborhoods there are people (mostly youths) who would cause real problems with slingshots and BB guns and bows & arrows.  Those ordinances are to deal with all of that... blowgun darts and potato guns and pellet guns, etc.  Sadly, when too many people refuse to exercise self-control, the only way the government can try to maintain order is to exercise its own control, and then good people lose their freedom.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
Archie, I think you have a good perspective on the issue.

I live in the sticks and it ISN'T an issue, but seeing the whole picture, and setting a good example, is always a good thing.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
Sage counsel, Archie.  My inclinations tend toward the "Don't Tread on Me" direction, and would possibly lead me down the road of a poor decision.  If ever confronted with such a situation, I hope I have a clear voice of reason such as you have provided.  Well stated.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
I would be proactive with neighbors, bring you bow and a bottle of wine and ask them if they are comfortable with your shooting, explain you do not shoot in their direction etc.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
Sometimes the letter of the law and the spirit of the law are two different things. I'll continue to shoot in my backyard.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
Problem is: most times the laws are not enforced until there is a complaint. Were my friend lives he can shoot his bow in his yard only if the target is against his own house.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©