3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting and municipalities  (Read 1312 times)

Re: Shooting and municipalities
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
If your city has an ordinance, and you choose to shoot, you are taking the risk of getting the ticket. They won't come out and bother you unless someone complains, so if I were in your shoes, I would feel my neighbors out to see if any would care, or just go find a range to shoot at.

Bisch

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
I live in an incorporated county parcel within the city limits. I've shot archery in my backyard during the 19 years we've lived here. After the ordinance was passed, I discontinued shooting in my backyard. I purchased a membership to a local archery club and drive there daily to shoot.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
Never asked, so I don't really know. Nobody has ever complained, even when I took the shotgun to the fox that was taking my cats. The police have driven by a lot of times when I was shooting the bow in the yard, and they never have said anything.
Sam

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
Illegal here but, I just do it anyway.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
It's illegal here, but I shoot in my backyard anyway.  Both neighbors know I shoot in my backyard and have no problem with it, and I would imagine it's not the kind of violation the police would care about unless someone complains.  What that means is that I have to be very careful to make sure that my targets are all well backstopped, and that no arrows ever go into my neighbors backyards or the street.  Actually, there have been arrows that have gone into my neighbors' backyards, and they have been very nice about it, but I'm sure there is a limit to how many times that could happen before they stop being nice about it, and I don't want to find out what that limit is.  So I have built up my backstops, and never shoot if they are in their backyards, hoping that will never happen again.  And when the grandchildren come over, we drive out to the range to shoot.  Letting the grandchildren shoot in my backyard is how the last arrow went over the fence.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
I live in an incorporated county parcel within the city limits. I've shot archery in my backyard during the 19 years we've lived here. After the ordinance was passed, I discontinued shooting in my backyard. I purchased a membership to a local archery club and drive there daily to shoot.
That an option. I live 7 miles from an indoor 3D range; the one I usually shoot on all winter.
The problem(s) with that are several:
1) Cost. $10.50/half-hour, $20.00/hr. Not gonna break me, but it does limit shooting to once a week or every couple of weeks, where I used to step out back after dinner and shoot as long as I felt like nearly every night. I could shoot different bows, change up stuff all I wanted.
2) Time. The local range closes at 8 but last sign-in is 7pm. That means rushing; I don't like to rush.
3) Distance. The 3D range is limited to 20 yards. Period.
4) Security. The range is attached to a mall (!!!) so carrying in your tackle requires a TSA-like going over, applying zip-ties to your bow case and arrows, having them removed by the sign in desk, and the same exit strategy on the way out. Like I'm gonna go banzai in a mall with a trad bow...   :archer2:
Backyard shooting was more than a hobby; it was my relaxation and my "mental floss". Not sure where to take it from here.
Aim small,miss small

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
Is it a long drive to some public land ? Like a game area ?
Also do you have a gun range near you ?
They usually don't mind if you shoot Bows on there pistol range . And I'm sure you would shoot black powder guns there , so you could kill two birds with one stone .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Graps:
They usually don't mind if you shoot Bows on there pistol range . And I'm sure you would shoot black powder guns there , so you could kill two birds with one stone .
Remember, Dale..I'm from the Land O' Lincoln (rhymes with "What was I thinkin'!??")Nearest BP/outdoor archery range is 45 minutes to an hour away...in WI...$30.00 for the day. It could be done, yes. But not like stepping out the back door.
Aim small,miss small

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Captain*Kirk:

Originally posted by Graps:
Remember, Dale..I'm from the Land O' Lincoln (rhymes with "What was I thinkin'!??")Nearest BP/outdoor archery range is 45 minutes to an hour away...in WI...$30.00 for the day. It could be done, yes. But not like stepping out the back door. [/b]
How close to Rockford, IL are you?

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
Same here but the schools have archery out doors.  I have had police in yard to tell me to stop.  I told them to snap their gun in the holster if they wanted to talk to me.  Yes I was a jerk to them, shame on me.  I still shoot in back yard but not when people are around.  My yard is 100 yards deep with tracks at back.  Welcome to life.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
The day I can't shoot in my backyard is the day my house goes up for sale.

I used to be a Bylaw Enforcement Officer.  In general, most things, aside from building regulations are complaint driven.  Be a good neighbour, stay safe, don't do anything foolish.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
 Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
 How close to Rockford, IL are you?  
An hour and a half to 2 hours depending on traffic/time of day.
Aim small,miss small

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
I shoot in my backyard but we don't have any ordinances against it. I have a 6' privacy fence, and I have a wooden chicken coop in front of that, and put my target in front of the chicken coop. Worst case scenario if I miss I have fried chicken for supper.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2016, 04:37:00 PM »
I feel for you guys. It must be tough to deal with restrictions on your shooting.

I'm fortunate to live in a semi rural neighborhood. I can take a flight shot or a pee off my back porch and no one would care. I can't imagine a scenario that would get me to move any closer to town.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
I would keep shooting, if anything is said just plead ignorance.
i know that's breaking the law, but you ever go over the speed limit?  That's assuming that you are absolutely sure it is safe.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
I actually shot two times in my yard. Live in a subdivision outside of town, but within city limits. I've got a 6' vinyl fence too. One day I thought, when my son is playing in the yard, would I want my neighbor shooting on the other side of that fence?  Not worth the risk for me. I feel confident at 15yards, but I could never again sleep at night knowing "it was my fault" if anything ever happened to harm someone/something else.

That being said- if it's safe and you've triple checked that it is; go for it!

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
"No person shall shoot or fire an arrow, dart, spear or other sharp projectile by means of a bow, crossbow or other like instrument."

If you were to interperet this litterally as written you could say that you were shooting "targets" not arrows. Just don't get caught burning broken arrows or getting any Robin Hoods!

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
I'd reinforce the area of the fence with Advantech and get a large target.  You already have the high fence, so keep the gate shut and keep on doing what you already are.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
Seen too many threads about arrows being where they shouldn't be or intended. Some in this thread. If you live where an arrow can reach a neighbor and you don't trust your shooting to have your target with your own house as the backstop, you should not be shooting there.

Offline birddog75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Not sure where you live in Illinois but I live in NE Illinois, Wauconda. Chain of Lakes state park has an archery range, look on their website for the information.  Also Midwest Cimmarron is in Richmond and there are some awesome clubs just over the border including Big Foot archers, Waukegan bowmen, Racine Instinctive Bowmen, Kenosha Bowmen and Bucktrail archers. May not be the best solution for your issue but may be good options.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©