3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting and municipalities  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting and municipalities
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by PeteA:
WOW!This post made me look into the issue. I live in a small hamlet village in NY on 3/4 of an acre. I'm about 50 minutes north of NYC by train. My property backs up to a wooded area. I shoot in my yard about 3-4 times a week. I just checked to find there is a village ordanence stating - there is no discharging of any type of projectile by any means within the village limits.
Sucks, don't it?
Now you're in the same boat; Is you Is,or Is you Ain't a criminal?   :archer2:
Aim small,miss small

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
I find these posts interesting to see how limited some people are in doing what they enjoy. I'm lucky that I live on a farm and can shoot anywhere I want including some of the neighbors property. And that includes rifles, pistols, shotguns.

I feel for you guys.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by dnovo:
I find these posts interesting to see how limited some people are in doing what they enjoy. I'm lucky that I live on a farm and can shoot anywhere I want including some of the neighbors property. And that includes rifles, pistols, shotguns.

I feel for you guys.
We can't all live on farms (sigh). Those choices are made in your early years of family and career for most of us. Had I known I may have made it work differently, but as it is I'll be lucky to pay off the mortgage before before I croak.   :dunno:
Aim small,miss small

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
Since I posted this, I am at an uneasy truce. I have refrained from shooting in the backyard but I'm not happy with that decision. Daily shooting used to be my therapy, my release and even a few arrows shot over 15 minutes was like a breath of fresh air. Gone is the fiddling, bareshafting and tuning aspect...who wants to blow expensive range time on that?
I fully and completely understand the safety and legal aspects of why I and others should not shoot in a backyard setting within city limits, but it really smacks of government intrusion into one's private life and personal liberties. I feel rusty, out of shape, and out of tune with my gear and it does not make me a happy camper at all.
At this point, I'm not sure how or if this issue will be resolved, if at all. I can't imagine going through an entire summer not backyard shooting on my own land.
At the moment, moving is out of the question, so...I guess I will have to continue to either play the PC game or rebel and go back to doing what I was doing, and   "damn the torpedoes!"     :archer2:
Aim small,miss small

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
I just reviewed Waukegan's ordinances... Fun fact, it is also against the law to advertise fortune telling services, sell "dangerous toys," and sell "Mexican Jumping Beans."

With that said, the prohibition against shooting does not apply to the discharge weapons upon a shooting range authorized by the city council. So, perhaps you may have a solution to your dilemma.... that is, if you know any members of your city council who would be willing to say that your backyard is an "authorized" shooting range...
-EVG

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
Our local codes are strange.  You can have a pet duck but not a chicken.  You can have a pet pig but not a goat.  And you can have a colony of bees in your wall or tree but not in an actual hive.  I talked to my local councilman one time about getting the codes modified.  His response was something along the lines of, "Look, I don't care if you have a rhino in your backyard.  As long as nobody complains, I don't think you're going to have a problem."

I bribe my neighbors with eggs & honey.  I did have an arrow miss my backstop once and it put a hole in my neighbor's garage wall.  After apologizing profusely & offering to fix it, he simply said, "Nah, that's the least of the damage it's seen over the years."  Never happened again -- I make sure of it.  I've got great neighbors.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »
The high school and middle school have archery outside so I push the ordinance saying shut down the schools and I will comply.  They haven't arrested me yet but it has gotten heated.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
me and my buddy regularly shoot our bows off my porch and sometimes well into the night .. With a light lol people just drive right on by so thankful to live in Mayberry
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by evgb127:

With that said, the prohibition against shooting does not apply to the discharge weapons upon a shooting range authorized by the city council. So, perhaps you may have a solution to your dilemma.... that is, if you know any members of your city council who would be willing to say that your backyard is an "authorized" shooting range...
I like the way you think. I guess anything is worth a shot, but our "city" likes to think of themselves as a baby Chicago, politics included, so changing anyone's mind would take a truckload of doing. Maybe I could shoot after dark using lighted nocks and nobody would notice...
Aim small,miss small

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2017, 12:58:00 AM »
Keep shooting or school the city on the right to privacy if it becomes a problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©