3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Post Surgery Experience  (Read 497 times)

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Post Surgery Experience
« on: June 09, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
I recall reading and re-reading the many posts regarding shoulder surgery and the advice given here of the members.

Well, it is now my turn to experience all of the fun and excitement shared by all.

Readers Digest Version; There is a very long laundry list of issues needing correction, from tears, fractures of bone, spurs, torn tendons, torn labrum and tissue damage, blah, blah, blah…

Next week, Friday the 17th is the day they will do the left arm and elbow.

Then, shooting for 4-6 months later and will have the same fun done again on the right side too!! Whoo-hoo!

Reading the advice given from everyone, I've now come to terms and realize I am no longer the 20 year old hard headed Marine of yesteryear.

Thanks for all the past advice given from others whom experienced this mess.

I now have an idea on what to expect.

Again, thank you for posting your personal experiences post surgery.

Reading about your experiences has prepared me for this upcoming journey I am soon to face.

Basically, I will plan for the worst and hope for the best.

With hard work, I sincerely hope I will be able to return to bowhunting next year.
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Post Surgery Experience
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
Best of luck, Bill.
The ravages of time catch up to us all, eventually.
Make sure you have a long talk with your surgeon about your hopes to return to shooting, and follow his advice to a T.
Aim small,miss small

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:40:00 PM »
I hope everything goes well and you're back out there better than before when it's all said and done.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
Imagine how awesome it is going to be to have two fully functional, pain free arms!  

Surgery was terrible, and the recovery time for me was fairly long. I, like you, had a lot of work done. However, after 6 months my arm was working again pretty well, by 8 months I was surfing and hunting again. It has been three years since the surgery and MAN OH MAN is it nice to not have to worry about your shoulder slipping out of socket on the draw sequence!  

Do your PT. DO it at the PT office and do it at home. That is the only way to speed up the healing process!  

Good luck!

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
Wow, you guys are much more up beat and positive about this than what I've read on past posts.

Thanks for the positive outlook, and great advice.

I am feeling much more relieved and confident knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you Gentlemen for your support and advice.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
G'luck with it Bill. I've had three and am back to shooting 43# with no problem.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
Best of luck to you Bill. Take it slow at first- then PT, PT, PT. If your insurance allows get the passive motion chair. It does all the moving for your shoulder the first couple weeks after surgery

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Good luck and do not slack on the PT.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
NOthing to fear but FEAR itself!  You will do fine!  They've come a long way baby...

I'll know more by the morning of the 16th since I get mine done the AM of the 15th...start PT on the 17th...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
The nerve block will be your best friend for the first few days....DO NOT pull it out. You will discover the hard way how much pain it was masking...

Physical therapy....is also your best friend although you will not think so...remember the part about pain being weakness leaving the body?

Believe it and live it.

In time, you will feel like a new man...really. I'm 53, had my right shoulder rebuilt in 12, and it's better than it was before I messed it up.

I'm more careful now...

Offline Bill from NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
Nerve block?

I was debating on biting down on either a piece of rawhide or a stick.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
I'm confused too...pull out a nerve block???

I had one on the left shoulder impingement... but nothing was left in...

two young bucks stucke me 4 or 5 times trying to hit the nerve and had me a mess.  Never again.  When I awoke and was sent home, I couldn't take a deep breath, cough or hack up the other stuff... numb all over my left lung for a full day...

Not sure what they use in TX that they "leave in to be pulled out"?  But I won't do one...

ONe needs to cough to hack up that gunk from anesthesia...that was terrifying not to be able to take a full breath or cough...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
Good luck on your surgery.  Hope everything goes well.
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
I know what ya mean buddy hope all goes well for you, i too have to have a infraspinatus tear fixed but thats waiting until after hunting season. take care buddy.
aim small miss small

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 12:52:00 AM »
Torn labrum, ruptured bicep tendon, two bone spurs on left shoulder, right hand shooter.  I followed Dr. and physical therapist instructions as much as possible, especially the stretching routine.  I started drawing a 30# recurve 8 weeks after, then 40#, then up to 50# at 4 months post surgery.  Just follow orders and if an activity hurts, stop and rethink.

No guarantees but many of us have had shoulder problems and can return to archery.   Had nerve block.  Only bad pain for about 6 hours after block wore out.  I asked to take morphine pump home but nurses declined.

Getting right one done at end of year if it can hold out that long!  Good Luck!!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
sorry for the repeat!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 07:38:00 AM »
Good luck...!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »
post surgery cortisone,,,,,oh boy I luved that stuff.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©