3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stand or blind?  (Read 671 times)

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Stand or blind?
« on: June 10, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
Do you prefer hunting from a tree stand or blind, and more importantly, why?
Please differentiate between fixed, portable or climbing stand, or pop-up or self-made blind.
It's also OK to say both, or other if you have a different setup.
Aim small,miss small

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stand or blind?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
Yes; used fix, climber and natural blind. Just depends on how the property lays out and how they move.
SWA Spyder

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
Stand, for only 1 reason, because I enjoy seeing critters almost as much as taking them. The elevated position gives me more of both.

Will use a natural hide on ground too, and have a lot of times, but can't see anywhere as much scenery from them. That said, I've had good bucks close on the ground a decent percentage of times.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
I'll do either. Here in these east Texas pines treestands work great. When I hunt in the hill country or south Texas it's pop ups or brush blinds since there's a shortage of tall trees. I like the cover that a pop up gives, I can move around a little more and I believe they help somewhat with scent control. But I love being in a tree too. Hard for me to pick a favorite I guess!!

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
While the stands give you the elevated advantage, I find them a PITA to carry in and set up, and claustrophobic to move around in, especially with a harness. A nice ground blind allows you all the freedom of mobility you need and (usually) shooting access 360 degrees, which simply makes for a more enjoyable hunt for me.
There's usually less wind (and resulting 'tree sway') on the ground as well. Drop an arrow? On the ground, just pick it up. In a stand, you have just left a scent stick for the deer if you don't climb down and pick it up, pronto.
Of course, you have to be much more aware of scent and winds, have a limited field of vision, and are now on an eyeball level with your quarry. Last season a 4-point buck walked within 10 yards of my stand and we had an eyeball-to-eyeball staring contest for well over 3 minutes before I cracked and drew, and he whirled and split, white flag waving "So long, sucker!" It was a heart-pounding, adrenaline rush experience I'll never forget, though. It was him and me, on his turf, and he won. Kudos, my white-tailed friend! Long may you run!
For me, hunting is not about 'whacking deer'. It's about interacting with them. And I find the ground blind a better place to play.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Depends on what the terrain and conditions tell me I need to use. However, I have 10 different lockons, climber, and ladder stands and only 2 pop ups. I don't prefer the pop ups because by the time I brush them in I don't have a lot of visibility and feel to confined.  My favorite is my home made ladder stands with Big roomy platforms!!!
If I "have" to hunt the ground Id rather just sit without a blind. But that's just me. They all have their place!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
Hanging stand first choice, better visibility.
If its a place I want to be and no good trees I use a pop up blind or natural blind.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
Tree stand 100 to 1 IF I'm hunting white-tails in the east.

I prefer the view from a tree stand. I feel like I'm better concealed in a tree stand . Often times I can get more clear shooting lanes from the tree stand.

This is how I started way back in 1970 and probably much of the reason I have this very strong preference.

I've successfully hunted mule deer, pronghorn, and hogs from the ground when the terrain (lack of trees) dictated I must.

I use hang-on stands (Lone Wolf and Muddy) most of the time. I have a couple climbers but I rarely use them as climbers. Too much noise and effort to scale the tree.  I hunt my own property so thievery isn't a problem.

If I hunted public land I'm sure my climbers would get much more use.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
I tend to use stands more.  I hunt on my own land and my cousins land so I have decided to use ladder stands and leave them year 'round in their place. I will occasionally move them base on the conditions I see.

I will say one of the most fun evenings I had was on the ground with my back against a tree and big branches on my sides. I was in a ghilli suit.  I had a couple of young deer around me for quite awhile.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
I use stand, blind and ghillie. Just depends on the area I'm hunting and weather.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
Stands whenever possible. Having said that I have come to believe that most stands on average are only good for about 3 hunts per season. Much more than that and the deer are on to you. So I try to hang as many as I can. If it's a public area (lot of the time) then I prepare the tree the spring before season and will climb it with a lone wolf stand and sticks. This year I've got around 20 stands in place and 20 trees setup ready to hunt out of.

Online Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Gotta go up! Prefer lightweight climbing stand so I can go up where I want, at least around here where you have lots of good straight trees. As long as I am on the ground I am moving locations, constantly seeing that place just ahead that looks so much better until I get there. I do it from a stand but it's too much trouble so I stay.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
ladder or hang on 10-12' up.  any higher and I don't like the shot angle presented.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
For deer, I prefer a tree stand. But, having said that, I will use every tactic and resource available to me. Stands used are hang ons, and climber. I use natural blinds made by God, and natural blinds made by me. I also hunt exposed, whether from a sitting position, standing position, or moving slowly still hunting. Every tactic I choose has a reason to do so, which depends on a bunch of different variables and situations.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
I've used all the above. But, about 95% is done from fixed tree stands.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
The tree stand is my favorite, and I know it's because it gives me a much wider view of what's happening.

I feel like I'm in a dungeon when in my blind.  I usually only use them on bad weather days.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I also prefer a stand just because I like the view from up there!

But I'm not opposed to a good old blind, brushed or popped.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline elkhunter-27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
I have 4 ladder stands and 4 blinds on the property I hunt.  It depends on the weather or  where I feel like hunting that day.    :archer:

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
I like ground blinds the best because I like the shot angles better from the ground level. That being said, I let the circumstances dictate which would be best, and hunt accordingly.

Bisch

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
From the ground due to physical limitations and authorization by physician to intercede since family had proposed that I should not be permitted to go the woods.

Thank you doctor.

The blessing and gift continues.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©