3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can you fix a checked limb?  (Read 330 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you fix a checked limb?
« on: October 22, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
I have this Osage stave I have been working on. I got it down to the first late ring and did the layout. I then took it back out to the shop and trimmed the edges up to the layout lines. I was doing the last limb edge and noticed a check around a knot. Its running with the grain for about 3 inches. Can you fix these or is my stave firewood? (I will try and post a picture when I get home). Thanks for the help!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you fix a checked limb?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
Is it a check or a crack? If it's a crack running with the grain it should be o.k., but it might be adviseable to flow some thin superglue into the crack to keep it from opening up further. Could you post a picture of it?  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Not sure if its a check or a crack. You could not see it from the outside of the stave. I goes aroung the outside of knot. You could not see the knot from the outside either. I think its going to end up about a 1/4" from ring that will be the back of the bow.(Not sure if that matters or not). I will get a picture up in a few hours, to give you guys a better look at what im talking about.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Cool
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©