3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riddle me this.. (tuning question)  (Read 829 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Riddle me this.. (tuning question)
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
I have always shot arrows that I, as well as others, would deem as "way over spined".  I try to have all my bows around 52@29 and have always shot cut short .400's or longer .340's.  

Well, per a very trust worthy friends advice, (Big Jim), I swapped to a lighter spine.  Jim has that IN HIS OPINION I should try a cut down 500 or a full length 400.  

Bare shaft tuning is the only method I have ever had good results with that my broadheads tell me the same thing.  

Well, arrow number 1.  Is a full length .500, a full 32".  I put the insert and tip weight I want in it and go with it.  

.500 spine 32",
I shoot, WAY WEAK.  Almost miss my target at 10 yard.  
I begin trimming.. I get all the way down to 29" and the point is up on the shelf.  Still showing weak.

400 spine 32"
Still weak.. trim, weak, trim weak, trim weak.. you get the picture.. exactly same result as with the .500, but it is getting closer and closer to being straight and hitting middle of the target.  

.340 spine 31.5"(full length)
Comes off of the bow like an absolute dart.  I shoot another one, same result, I fletch an arrow and shoot  one with a broadhead.. bare shaft and broadhead shoot the exact same..

It just doesn't make sense to me.  How is this my result?

Any insite?  

For what its worth, this is the spine I have ALWAYS shot from my bows.  But i do not know if it is "correct".
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riddle me this.. (tuning question)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:27:00 PM »
1. Trust your personal results

2. If your fletched field tipped arrows are marking the same as your BH tipped shafts just beyond your effective hunting range, then bareshafting is irrelevant.

3. There is much more information required regarding the particulars of your setup in order to formulate a possibly in-the-ballpark match.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
I'm no expert but I say a bare shaft doesn't lie. I'm the same way shooting 340s from the 55-ish set up without much weight upfront

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »
Don't sweat it , it shoot heavier than normal shafts as well .
Some people shoot lighter than normal .
Just the way it is sometimes .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
Sounds like you stumbled on the perfect combo. Run with it.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 04:48:00 AM »
I shoot "overspined" shafts as well. They fly good for me with broadheads, bare shafts, and field points. I figured out a while back to stick with what works.....unless you just enjoy throwing money away.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:41:00 AM »
You shooting a Black Wifow?  Or another bow that is center cut? That would be the only factor I could think to cause your results.

Have you done the same test at a longer range?  Same results?

I'd not change what I've proven by testing because of what someone, even Big Jim, says...

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
At 52#@29, .500s seem a bit light to me.  I'm surprised that .400s don't work. How heavy a point are you using?  A heavy point, and a bow cut past center, as Steve O points out, will require or at least enable a heavier shaft.  

You've obviously found a spine that works for you, so it is "correct" for you. Go with it.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
Daniel, lots of variables. If your broadheads consistently fly true your good to go. Went thru the same process as you a while back and also ended up with the spine I was using, which is the same as you with similar weight bows.

Put a lighted nock on and shoot at dusk to prove you have no wobble. Will build confidence in your setup.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 08:34:00 AM »
If it shoots properly, it is correct - period. True, there may be more than one "correct" arrow, so don't fret, just enjoy the diversity.
Sam

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Your release is probably sloppy. This I not meant in rudeness either. Usually with a plucky type of release you need a pretty stiff arrow to compensate since the initial bend is far greater. Conversely if you release is super clean you will need a weaker spine. Tuning arrows with trad bows leaves a lot of variables the biggest being the shooter. Also point weight brace height, center cut, DL, and limb efficiency.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
What kind of bow and as mentioned, how is the shelf cut?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
If it works for you go with it. Period.
There are a lot of guys above whose opinions I greatly respect but..

My personal experience mirrors your previous posts about "perfectly stiff".  I was shooting my 53# @28" Blacktail and experiencing similar results to yours.  I went all the weigh up to over 80# spine. I also have 340s in the garage that I shot.  I hunted one year with them- woodies- and was hitting what I was shooting at.

Funny thing, (and this is just my experience) the next summer I was shooting and working on my form and at I think twenty+ yards I could see arrows drifting left. (Like Ken Becks utube video) I started going to lighter and lighter spine.

I ended up shooting about 63# spine for bear hunting and was successful with that.  I believe I was improperly gripping my bow and torquing the the bow or string at the release. Just my experience, fwiw.

But obviously you have to shoot what works.
I hope it all works out for you, Daniel.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
This particular bow is a centaur triple csrbon, but it's not the only one I've experienced these results with.

Honestly, I think Jake may have a point. My release has been suffering lately, but this is the same results I've had for a while now, so I'm not sure my release is playing that big of a factor.  It may not be as bad as I make it sound.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
I shoot 175 grain heads with standard inserts

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Shoot what works. Just always shoot the same.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
i'd bet good money it's your release most people's release could be better. Mines sloppy too. I work on it with my wheel now because the let off lets me mimic a light bow.

P.S. Don't suppose you know a trad archer that works for AMR ambulance down there do ya? I worked with him down in Monroe for about 2 months several years back. Heck of a nice guy.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
I might would know him if you knew his name.  

I actually bought a bow "for my wife" from big jim a couple weeks ago.   it is a #35 sammick sage with some predator .800 spine arrows.  It will test the mess out of your release.  it is sweet.  I need to do some more form shooting with it.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
It's been three years now and I'll be darned if I can't remember his name. He's about 6'1 maybe 280 likes long bows and is a pentacostal (as it seemed just about everybody was down there! Excellent peanut brittle but, lord help you if you try and buy beer on a Sunday!)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
As has been pointed out, a lot will depend on the centershot of the riser, and I'm not familiar with how the Centaurs are cut. I will say this, knowing I'll hear a ration from the Border-hating contingent.  I'm a Morrison fan and have shot Shawnees and Cheyennes in the 46-48# range for a long time. They are cut 3/16ths inch past center.  My arrows were always approx. 30".500 spine with an average of 175 gr. points and broad heads.  I've gotten into ILFs in the past few years and particularly like Border Hex 6.5's limbs(mainly because Bob wasn't making the Maxes at the time). I was surprised to find the .500's were a tad weak and that 30" .400's flew great with 145 gr. points.  I was ready to attribute this to a metal riser and plunger(which will accommodate a wider range of spines).  But I have a gorgeous B&W ebony ILF riser which is also cut 3/16th inch past and with the Hex 6.5's it will shoot .400's great also, but with 200 gr. points.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©