3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: skinnier carbon vs my current Goldtip traditional - Elk penetration difference  (Read 598 times)

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I have an elk hunt coming up and my GT arrows are tuned well to my setup. I have toyed with going to a skinnier arrow like Easton axis FMJ or similar just because I figure do everything I can to insure the best penetration. High FOC, heavy arrow etc. Here is my question. Do the skinny carbons make enough difference in extra penetration to buy a dozen and tune them for my hunt? After an injury a while back I am back up to about 50# at my draw and just want to do all I can for penetration.
Thanks for you feedback

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't have any experience on elk but in my experience with whitetails I'd say skinny arrows definitely have a penetrating advantage and a pretty steep advantage at that. I'll likely be using my standard gold tips for elk this year though if I take my current 57# bow...just because I don't want to re-tune. I'll use fmjs if I take my heavier bow

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
I didn't notice any difference between penetration between axis and gold tip arrows but I use a big head which might negate the difference with a small head.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
The size of the broad head ferrule likely has a greater impact on penetration than arrow diameter.  As long as its outer dimension is at least as large or larger than the shaft, I doubt penetration will vary much between a 5/16 GT and a 9/32 Axis.  

I shoot Axis, but that's just because when I got into carbon arrows, I decided to pick one and stick with it.  Would have no compunction about shooting 5/16-inch carbon shafts, or 11/32 wood shafts, for that matter.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
I shoot Axis arrows, and I can't necessarily speak to a penetration advantage, but they've always penetrated well for me.

I love them because they're tough as nails!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
I don't think the difference is enough between gold tip and Easton axis. Now the super skinny vaps .166 perhaps would make a difference.  
I have seen no real difference in my tests but so far that has been limited to Rinehart and block targets. But a good foc arrow with enough weight to keep the momentum placed right will do the job as well, skinny or no.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just have sharp broad heads and a well placed shot ... your splitting hairs here worrying about GT vs Axis. Your 50 #'s is fine for elk with a heavy arrow ... I have shot them with 23/64 shafts and bear broad heads and they die just fine.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
I would think the " skinny " arrow advantage would be minimal at best. The broad head clears the path for the shaft to follow. The only situation I could imagine might be arrow pinch that may occur if a rib is split by the broad head. Other than that I can think of no advantage. I wouldn't change a thing.

Offline savagelh

• Trad Bowhunter
I have no experience shooting axis arrows from stickbows but I have been using them with my compounds for years now. On Rinehart type targets they seem to penetrate a good 4-6" deeper than fatter shafts of the same weight. They are tough arrows too. I would shoot them out of my recurves but they are a bit pricey and I seem to lose a lot more with stickers than compounds.

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
Higher sectional density is going to be the biggest player. I shoot VAPS and have seen HUGE difference with the compound I used to shoot and Id say a BIG difference with my longbow.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
does it make a difference - might, will it matter - probably not.  If I was that close to having enough energy in my arrow setup to concern me I would probably look at using more draw weight, heavier arrows or different broadhead design then I would diameter of shafts - just don't think that is a very significant part of the penetration puzzle.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
If your GT arrows are tuned well don't over think it.  A well tuned arrow/bow combo and a quality broadhead that is very sharp is all you need.

I've taken them with 23/64 wood shafts and the old Journeyman broadheads with selfbows in the 57# range.

You should have no problems at all.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
I would think it would be very minimal. The shaft is following the hole the much wider broadhead has cut. Like Wingnut says, don't sweat it. Practice is way more important.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
I recently had an opportunity to shoot and compare the Black Eagle X-Impacts (.166) against my current shafts, Victory VForce HV (.245).  My shafts are set up with an FOC of 31.4%.  The X-Impacts had an FOC of near 30% I believe - so close anyway.  Both shafts were close in weight approx 650 grains.

My shafts have been tuned to my 60# R/D and fly like the proverbial dart.  The X-Impacts, though not tuned specifically for my bow, shot very well also - it wouldn't have taken much to tweek them.

I observed that there was no difference in penetration in a Reinhardt target.  My feeling is that the UEFOC in both shafts trumps any difference in diameter.  And while FOC can make a huge difference in penetration, the single most important factor is having a perfectly tuned arrow and bow combination.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©