3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever bend wood arrows just by shooting them?  (Read 954 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever bend wood arrows just by shooting them?
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
While we're on the subject, is there a preferred target medium for wooden arrows? Compressed straw would be good I'm sure but what about bag targets or dense foam?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
Compressed straw or excelsior (sp?) bales will wear the finish off the point end quick.

Depending on the finish, they can glue themselves to foam or 3-D targets, especially without the soap.  I like an epoxy finish.  Cheap, durable, easy to apply, dries fast, very low target burn.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
FWIW, the only times I've noticed bent woodies was when one 'hit the dirt'. Even then, a quick hand flexing, or on more stubborn ones, a quick flattening with the Ace Roller:

takes care of it pronto.
As far as cause; I would also go with the bending on removal theory. 3D foam targets can be real mothers to get a deeply embedded arrow out of. Some people have recommended PAM cooking spray (though I've never tried it) to ease removal, and 3Rivers carries this:
   http://www.3riversarchery.com/scorpion-venom-target-arrow-release-fluid.html  
specifically designed for the purpose.
I've also found when shooting my woodies (POC) that after a hundred shots or so into the straw bale target butt that the coating gets worn off the field points and the finish off the front of the shaft. At that point removal gets increasingly difficult, especially in foam, until I re-apply (I use Bullseye spray on shellac...fast and easy).
Hope this helps!
Aim small,miss small

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
I acquired some 45 year old POC....tapered....and they were awesome and straight. Ashe bent just by looking at it..!!!! Chundoo was good....have some Doug fir to try.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Nope, never had a problem and i only shoot woodies. Even when i glance an arrow off a target or tree,trees they almost always stay straight. The biggest cause of them bending is not pulling them out properly. You need to grab shaft right a target and pull straight out and sometimes use both hands. If you just grab the middle and dont pay attention and bend while pulling out you will put a bend in the shaft then you will have to straighten it out unless you break it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »
I have shot POC, fir, and hickory. I do have to tweak some of them from time to time, but have never had a serious issue, except the hickory. It needed a lot of attention.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©