3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips for decent accuracy from Flu-flus?  (Read 443 times)

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips for decent accuracy from Flu-flus?
« on: June 16, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
I have been working on some cane arrow shafts which I cut and have been straightening, trimming and tapering, with tradgang build-along guidance. These are just for stumping and small game hunting, so that a broken or lost arrow will not hurt my wallet as much. I am not planning to buy a fletching jig just for these.

I have been leaning toward spiral wrap flu-flus, which I have made before.  I understand that since the feather quill is ground so thin that they will be more prone to tearing if applied like regular fletching.

To improve accuracy, I have been thinking about trying some modified setups, like 180 degree spirals, leaving the first inch or so of the feather straight before going into the full spiral, or adding a short piece of fletching in front of the spiral.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips from their own experiences?

Here is a link that I found on tradgang of a loght spiral or very extreme helical.
 http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy136/ricksnetpics/flu01-1-1.jpg
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips for decent accuracy from Flu-flus?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 05:43:00 AM »
Im no help. The arrows in the link you provided are sweet. I like the look of those.
NRA Life Member

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
With the large amount of feather or feathers on a flu flu I didn't find that the spine of the arrow made much difference for an accurate arrow.My flu flu's were made from over spined arrows that didn't work well with the poundage of my bows.I made flu flu's from one full length feather spiral wrapped or 4 fletch of 4" or 5" feathers.Both ways worked great!Never really worked on tuning flu flu's because the large amount of feathers took up for a wrong spined arrow.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
Helical 6-fletch work best for me.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
The key to accuracy?  shoot close!
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
Full height 4" 3 fletch works good mounted straight or off-set. I trimmed some down slightly at an angle with scissors for kind of a big banana shape. As mentioned, spine isn't too critical.

I know you mentioned spiral, but these could be fletched without a jig also, especially with tape. They zip outta the bow pretty good but still have that flu-flu quality of not flying over the horizon in the rare case of an upward miss...   :saywhat:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
I have found spiral wraps are only good out to 10 to maybe 15 yrds as far as accuracy goes.The spirals do nothing for good flight they just slow the arrow down

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©