3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear bow owners...favorite Bear?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear bow owners...favorite Bear?
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
Wasn't aware Bear made a '64 in 64"
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2016, 05:15:00 PM »
I love the K-Mags.
I think this is a '65.

I re-entered archery with a Jeffery Mitey-Mag Classic, and when I found that site which must not be mentioned, I bought a couple K-Mags for backup.

I have gone to hybrid longbows, but aside from the grip angle difference, they shoot as fast as K-Mags. I love a short, fast bow.

I retain a couple of Lady Polars, and some Grizzlies, for different reasons. But the K-Mags always bring a smile.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
a grizzly that belonged to my Grandad and has been passed on to me    :cool:
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
I have two takedowns one A-mag and one wood but I killed my first deer in 1974 with a K-mag so I will always have  a softspot for that model and still hunt with one today.I sold the orginal 55lb. and replaced it with a 50lb.same year model b/c I shoot the lighter one better at 66 years old.Kip

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
I like my KD best because I know what I like...I handed it to one of my friends one day and he immediately said the grip was not to his liking...bow preferences are highly individual...and mine change pretty often

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2016, 04:50:00 PM »
My A riser with number 2 limbs 40 lbs..
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
My One-Of-a-Kind shortened '59 Grizzly.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
I just made an offer on a LH Kodiak in the classifieds...if he takes it that will be my first Bear bow. I had told my wife getting into trad was gonna be cheaper. Y'all are getting me in trouble!!

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by CRM_95:
I just made an offer on a LH Kodiak in the classifieds...if he takes it that will be my first Bear bow. I had told my wife getting into trad was gonna be cheaper. Y'all are getting me in trouble!!
If he takes it, it damn sure won't be your last.
Them things breed like rabbits..
Aim small,miss small

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 05:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Captain*Kirk:

Them things breed like rabbits.. [/b]
Haha I bet!! I ended up not being able to get it though..I have a buddy who has a Kodiak in the same poundage. I told him I'd made an offer on one and he let me shoot his. At my DL it was heavier than I expected and had a little finger pinch. Enough to make it uncomfortable at least. I still love the way it looks though. I thought after shooting a 45 lb bow for several moths now a 50 lb bow wouldn't be an issue...I was wrong!!

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:00 PM »

Haha I bet!! I ended up not being able to get it though..I have a buddy who has a Kodiak in the same poundage. I told him I'd made an offer on one and he let me shoot his. At my DL it was heavier than I expected and had a little finger pinch. Enough to make it uncomfortable at least. I still love the way it looks though. I thought after shooting a 45 lb bow for several moths now a 50 lb bow wouldn't be an issue...I was wrong!! [/b]
Which Kodiak model was it?
Aim small,miss small

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
I am a  grizzly fan as well but that being said, like Trap, right now I am still fond of my 60 Kodiak and have been for about 3 years.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »

quote:
Haha I bet!! I ended up not being able to get it though..I have a buddy who has a Kodiak in the same poundage. I told him I'd made an offer on one and he let me shoot his. At my DL it was heavier than I expected and had a little finger pinch. Enough to make it uncomfortable at least. I still love the way it looks though. I thought after shooting a 45 lb bow for several moths now a 50 lb bow wouldn't be an issue...I was wrong!! [/b]
Which Kodiak model was it?
It's a 60'' Grayling Super Kodiak 50 lbs@28. I guess at my DL it's probably 53lbs give or take. It's still in the classifieds. The one that I shot was a regular Super Kodiak and not the green model, but same specs. The one in the classifieds is a beautiful bow and the price is right. I can't believe it's still there. I'm good with around 47 or 48 lbs so I'm not sure if the weight made it uncomfortable or my DL was just too long and it stacked. I researched it a lot, some folks said they draw them to 30'' and were fine. It just didn't feel right to me.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
I'm partial to my '62 Kodiak but I killed my first deer with a new 1967 Grizzly.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 05:39:00 AM »
The most comfortable and best shooting bow I have is a 1960 Kodiak Special.

It has very skinny limbs like the painted Wilson Bros. Widows of the same year, and much more narrow than my '59 and '62 K Specials.  However, the grip, the arrow speed (similar if not better than my '61 and 62 Kodiaks), are very good and I really like the way it just rocks gently forward after a shot, like it was saying "How'd ya like that".

Why it shoots the same Axis Trads so much better  than my '59 K Special, which is the same length and draw weight, I don't know, but it sure does. I never liked skinny limbs, but I sure like that bow.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 05:59:00 AM »
Best shooting Bear I ever had was my 1963 Tamerlane I bought new with money I made working during Christmas of 1962 when I was in high school. Wouldn't be practical now and would not buy one with its heavy riser, but that was a steady bow that could send those 1616 arrows with 1.75 inch hard plastic vanes down to the 80yd walk up field archery target with no problem.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
This is a tough one, because its one winner ,only. The runners up:
1962 Kodiak - a hunting machine.
1962 Kodiak Special - a super model with attitude.
1967 Kodiak Magnum - more hunt in it than a Brittany Spaniel
1969 Kodiak Hunter - tigerwood, black tips,60" of smooth.  
Mangonboat's Miss Bear 2016: 1962 Polar. Before the big riser craze, before the dichotomy of bows into hunting and target bows, a 66" leggy blonde beauty that did 50# curls all day long and launched arrows like cruise missiles.

mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
Beautiful Zebra wood on that one...!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Oh man! Mangonboat that is a stunning bow
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©