3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Russell Outdoor Guides 2016 Bear camp report  (Read 657 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Russell Outdoor Guides 2016 Bear camp report
« on: June 17, 2016, 05:12:00 PM »
Dang... I am tired, lol.   The 2016 bear camp is done and man what a time we had.  We battled the worst bear hunting weather in years with temps in the low 40s, high winds and rain. In spite of that we were once again 100% on shot opportunity (adult bear at 10 yards). I won't steal the thunder on the hunters stories or pictures but I will throw a compilation video together when I get home.  We had GREAT shooting in our camp but we also tracked for another camp and my blood dog "Bear Dog" was an absolute rock star with the highlight track being a track of 1.86 miles and 24 hours old.  

We are making the 24 hour drive home now.  As always, it is so hard to leave that wild Mastigouce Wilderness.  Tons of great bear and moose encounters and the very untimely death of my beloved (and nearly new) Black Widow recurve. But that is a story for after I recover.  
Thanks to the Tradgang hunters that came to hunt with us.  It was another special year.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Russell Outdoor Guides 2016 Bear camp report
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Glad you had another great camp, Jerry, and sorry about the Widow.  Get some rest.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
Looking forward to the stories.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
:coffee:  

I'll be waiting for the stories !
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
Sounds like a great time in the North Woods!!! Can't wait to hear all the stories!

Sorry to hear about your loss, Jerry!

Bisch

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
Oh no!!
Glad you had a good camp, can't wait for pics and stories.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
:campfire:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
:campfire:  Bring it fellas  :)  Rest up JR! Thanks for taking care of my guys!!!
Mike Davenport

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
I hope to make it up there with you some day, Jerry. Sounds like such a great time (with the exception, of course, of your BW tragedy)! Can't wait to hear the stories... Be safe on your way home, buddy.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
Awesome!! Can't wait for the stories. All this bear hunting talk has got me really interested. On my list in the next year or two for sure.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »
:coffee:  

I'll be waiting to hear stories!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »
Hey, I like your African videos on YouTube. I'll have to try to watch this new one of yours when I'm somewhere with faster internet. What happened to your Black Widow? Bad luck, by the sounds, but those guys will take care of it. Cheers, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Too bad about the Widow.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
Unfortunatly I am tied up at a family reunio till next week. But when I get home there will be a full story and pics! one word....EPIC!

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
Here we go! coming from california it is quite a trek for me. My dad accompanied me but you wont see his pictures(wheels). Got off to a good start showing up at check-in an hour early and Jerry was there within minutes. Short ride to cabin and quick meeting going over details and doing paperwork and it was time to get settled and shoot a little. Weather was cold and windy, not good for bear hunting, but I was excited regardless.

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
First night in stand was freezing! But plus was bugs were non-exsistent. Beutiful country to say the least. My first sit was slow, one nice bear tiptoed in but didnt like me sitting in the tree and slinked off. Despite at least 3 different bears on trail camera. I think the high wind had them spooky. Fortunatly my dad had a mature sow come in off and on for 30 minutes before he made a perfect 10 yd shot and we were on cloud nine! One hunt and we were half done!

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
next morning we slept in and took care of dads bear and met some other hunters arriving at camp. Hunt 2 Jerry asked me if I would like to hunt from a ground blind. Of course I was in. Apparantly my Idea and his of a ground blind are different. This was more like having dinner together! A double bull chair 6 yds from barrel

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
No brush! I was a little worried about being seen but he said if I was still it wouldnt be a problem. Well, he was right! at about 7:30 I could hear the resident beaver slapping his tail in anger and I figured something was about to happen. The commotion behind me told the tale of a boar chasing a sow and I was ready when the boar came in to look around. At 5 yds my arrow was true and I watched my bear make it 30 yds and pile up.

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
The next couple days I got to just experience the wilderness and fish some beutiful native brook trout with my dad. I cant say enough about jerrys operation. Top notch all the way, food, experience and just plain fun. Pictures to follow as I am terrible at it and I have to rely on a buddy. Thanks for listening. NEXT!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Sounds like a great time.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©