3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: overshooting  (Read 352 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
overshooting
« on: June 18, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
WEll I think i am a victim of overshooting, I went out again today and could not hit anything to save my life today everything felt off, This is the worst in a long time. What do you al do when you overshoot? I am frustrated but i know its fatigue.
aim small miss small

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: overshooting
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
I get drunk.

No, I did not say that. I said to go fishing.

Killdeer.
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
working on a beer right now hahah, i dont know how comp shooters shoot well all the time, maybe they dont who knows lol, all i know is im done for a few days
aim small miss small

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
When your shooting falls off, get back to basics.  It's nearly always a breakdown in shot sequence.

Step 1, step 2, step 3, etc.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Thanks Arne, what should i be looking for as the basics you are saying?
aim small miss small

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
When your shooting falls off, get back to basics.  It's nearly always a breakdown in shot sequence.

Step 1, step 2, step 3, etc.

Arne
+1

It's probably not overshooting.  Symptoms of overshooting are pain in some body part that doesn't go away overnight.

Right now, you're doing something different than you should, and you're not aware of what it is, because you can't feel it.  The good news is, once you figure out what it is, you'll be able to feel it, and the next time you make that mistake, you'll know what it is and how to correct it.  Don't worry about getting bored, though, because there are about a thousand more to figure out after this one. Once you get all the basic ones figured out, then you can start working on the advanced ones, some of which are really too subtle to express in words.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
i feel like im collapsing from fatigue
aim small miss small

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
As soon as you feel fatigue,  QUIT!!!!  Your shot sequence is yours and I can't really tell you where the break down is with out seeing.

If you shoot when you are tired and have to "force" the shot, you are doing yourself no favors; just the opposite.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
Well keep in mind that I'm a newbie to all this...but I have days when I shoot really really bad. When it happens to me I get close, like 5 to seven yards from the target. After a few arrows there I'll start shooting good again, then I'll back up to 10 or 15 and I'll usually start shooting decent again. I don't know why, but I know it works for me.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
Mental fatigue is as big a component to poor shooting as physical fatigue. Relax and take a break.  Try not to shoot well, that follows lots of small things going right.  I am not the one to tell you how to shoot better, but I definitely can speak to maladaptive overshooting.  Nothing bad is going to happen if you can't hit an asprin out of mid air the next time you go out and shoot.  Try to be successful in the basics of your shot and enjoy seeing the arrow fly.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
Killdeer    :thumbsup:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
Keep your shooting sessions short. If you are getting that tired maybe you need a lighter bow. I shoot 1 or 2 arrows, walk down and get them, then repeat.....I talk myself thru the shot, draw, anchor, focus and then release. Always try to end the session on a good shot......it helps.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
I,ve done it, and it all falls apart at that point. Learnt a lot from that little exercise in over doing, watching my bow arm slowly collapse,start drifting everything over to the right.. (right handed shooter..)

Since then, usually shoot with discipline. On rare occasions, actually worn out from work, or shooting waaaay too far, indulging in glorified Hail Mary,s, and letting myself get away with crappy form, I,ve had to go back to the basics.

Draw, anchor, aim, release.

An illuminated nock is kinda handy for watching the arrows flight.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm with Killdeer , just walk away from it for a few days or weeks . I have had that problem before and an instructor told me just that .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
Keep your shooting sessions short. I talk myself thru the shot, draw, anchor, focus and then release. Always try to end the session on a good shot.
Ron, I could not agree more with your points.

And I literally talk out loud to myself on my walk to the target if some arrows went bad...what did I not do in my shot sequence on those arrows?  What do I need to focus on more during my next shots.  And SLOW DOWN.  Sometimes if my practice sessions get too long or I'm just not in the right frame of mind, I unconsciously just start "flinging" arrows instead of consciously executing the required sequence.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
As was mentioned, sometimes you need to just put down the bow for a while and give it a rest.
If that sounds unappealing, sometimes you can try shooting a very light...25-30#...bow. It's a complete change-up mentally, and doesn't require near the strain on your muscles and framework, yet allows you to keep the muscle memory and mental train on the tracks.
Just a thought.
Sometimes (more often than not) we're over-bowed and a); don't realize it, or b); won't admit it.
Aim small,miss small

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »
What I do that gets me out of the funk, is move up to 3 yards or so and shoot with my eyes closed. This allows you to feel every aspect of your form.  After a few rounds like this my form is usually cleaned up and back in order. I'm with Ron in the amount you shoot. I shoot 1 or 2 arrows and go fetch. It helps you maintain full concentration on all shots. I notice my mind drifting off and my form collapsing with bigger bunches of arrows. I also ruin a whole lot less arrows now.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
I have been shooting poorly lately and not really understanding why...I shot an indoor 3D yesterday and I realized what I had been leaving out of my shot sequence...apparently follow through is just as important to shooting a bow as it is with any other shooting...when I looked the arrow into the target it ended up where it belonged...and what a feeling of satisfaction comes with doing that

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
The better I shoot the less I shoot!!   :thumbsup:    :)
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©