3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3D shooting v Stumpin'  (Read 751 times)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3D shooting v Stumpin'
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
Not a fan of stump shooting myself, even though I have almost unlimited access to areas allowing it.  I've just never enjoyed shooting at stuff that either results in broken arrows (lots of rocks here), disappearing arrows (lots of soft dirt and rotten wood here), or provide no similarity between what I like to hunt and what I practice on.  I'm a hunter and not a serious target shooter but for me 3D targets are the closet thing to the real thing and so I much prefer them for that reason.  

When I want peace and solitude I'll grab my bow and quiver and either do some scouting, walk through pleasant woods or jump into my canoe and go...often not even taking an arrow  from the quiver.  Just having my bow with me is enough, the 'feel' is still there.  And my arrows are alot safer, lol.  

To each his own I suppose.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Between the 5 foot tall grass, the thick brush, etc. summer stumping is just about impossible if you want to take home any arrows.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
IMO, most if not all archery club 3D set-ups are for the wheelie bows where long range is the norm... Yes, (they) do have a Traditional stake but the shot is almost always wide open... Not true to woods hunting... We sometimes step to the side of the shooting lane and add realism and cover to the shot... That being said-

I do LOVE stump shooting! Targets are always interesting and never the same... This summer I'll take my hunting buddies to the deer "cross roads" on my property and practice shots at imaginary bucks right there!

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
I liked to take the kids to the 3d course back when they were younger and we had a family membership. It was more to capture their interest in all the animal targets. We had fun for sure...but never as a competition. Now the kids are doing their own thing and I have let the membership go. I live in a place where I can walk off for miles from the front door and that alone makes a big difference. I do love stump shooting and feel that it is better practice for hunting than the 3d. Broken arrows happen...but I think its worth the cost.

It s just so much more variable. I am trying to hone my ability to pick a spot out, so  that doesn't have to be on anything that looks like an animal. Plus, when I stump with my buddy he'll ask what I was aiming at....and I can say 'why right there off to the side of that stump where I hit!'.  LOL!

Dan

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
Graps, I used to feel the same way. I completely agree that many 3D shots aren't practical in hunting situations and some would certainly not be ethical on live game. However I now feel that the challenge of those shots helps. If I can make a longer or more awkward shot than I need in a real world hunting scenario then that real world shot will only be easier when the time comes. I do get tired of going to a course that is set up exactly the same every shoot. Stumping definitely gives you that variety and theres no reason not to add challenging shots just cause its a pinecone and not a rhinehart. Stumping feels more like goofing off to me and theres nothing at all wrong with that!! This is supposed to be fun after all!!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
I like both, but prefer stumping. I like shooting in my range of accuracy and pushing it a little, but some 3D courses are set up where the average shot is well beyond my hunting accuracy. 30 yard shots on animals is not my preference. 30 yard shots on a clump of moss is more appealing to me.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
I definitely prefer stump shooting more, I actually prefer 2D targets and being from Michigan i am fortunate enough to have a couple different events that still use 2D targets. I mainly go to 3D shoots to socialize with fellow brothers and sisters of the bow, shooting is just a plus there   ;)
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
I enjoy the social aspect of 3D as much as the actual shooting...never been much for stumping but do enjoy "shooting gophers", the Alberta equivalent of stumping

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
I like 3D.  With a score, I have something I can use to see how I compare to other archers, and how I'm progressing.  Gets me out of my comfort zone.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
One of the reasons I don't really like shooting mixed 3d is the layout.  It favors the use of range finders, hence the wide open lanes.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
I like both, 3d is fun with the guys but if I had to choose it would be stumpin by myself or with friends.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »
I almost never shoot at an ordinary target. I only practice with a judo point, walking and shooting around my property. I was a serious 3D competitor 20 years ago, and have been thinking about getting into it again for more contact with other archers. Roving for practice and 3D shooting have almost nothing in common for me.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
I like stumps - hence Stumpkiller - but 3-D is good as well.  Problem with most 3-D is that it is over formal and cleared (even mowed) lanes.

I think you get better hunting scenarios taking the odd shots at stumps in the woods and through cover than you do golfing for 3-D targets.

Also - the vitals of deer are inside and what is drawn on the outside for "kill & super-kill" has only relevence on perpendicular, level angles.  Unrealistic at different angles or uneven elevations.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
I've been reading the posts and so far it 'seems' that most folks associate 3D with 1.)  a competitive venue, and 2.) taking wide open shots in wide open areas.  Lol, that sure doesn't sound like the 3D I'm used to.  We mostly shoot for fun even if we use scorecards, with lots of ribbing and joking around.  We might dare the shooter to take a head shot on a turkey target or a nose shot on a front-facing bear.  Then there's the get down on one knee shot, shoot between the trees shot, etc.  Of course it depends on the shoot's general 'atmosphere'...not interested in the IBO qualifier type of shoot...but essentially that foam shaped like a critter either gets treated like a critter (hunting mode) or like a toy to enjoy shooting at.  I find that to be much more fun than watching arrows explode on rocks or disappearing through brush mounds never to be seen again.  Sure, we lose/break a few but ALOT less than when I used to stump shoot.  Even with judos, a rock is still a rock.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
Your still talking about something that is structured , not so much layed back and spontaneous .
I like stumpin' because there is no formality , or " Look what I can do " .
Don't matter how fast or slow , how many shots or the contortionist shots .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
I'm with Bisch as well. Stumping with your buddies is Grand fun where you call the shot and then try and make it. But I enjoy competition, therefore 3-Ds Are the most fun for me. I tend to thrive on pressure.....Not to mention Trying to make kill shots from various angles......... The best, most realistic practice there is next to the real thing........go reread TSP 's post.....that's my group.   X2....    :bigsmyl:
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
I'd point out to TSP that clubs seriously frown on people shooting up the heads of their targets and not the vitals.
I know you would not be welcome at the clubs I've belonged to.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »
I like the social aspect of 3D.
Sam

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 09:04:00 AM »
I prefer Traditional bows only 3d's over anything else but in my local real world experience I prefer stumpin over the regular mixed local 3D's and not because I have a problem with wheels because I  have friends that shoot them its because the atmosphere is different and not as relaxed or fun for me,, the compound guys aren't really on the same vibe..
"Us vs Them"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
I like to stump but a good 3D course is a must primer for the upcoming hunting season.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©