3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Loading that trad kill into the truck yourself  (Read 1345 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Loading that trad kill into the truck yourself
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 05:11:00 PM »
Pretty neat idea. That would probably work with a fishing kayak too. Some weigh over 100#.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
I get it.  Different laws and styles for sure when it comes to hunting. Your ramp idea looks like it will work for you.  

I was raised eastern as well- same mindset. Once I started quartering like Eichler (no gutting, leave hide on) I wondered why we spent the effort and hours all those years. When accessible I can still even use a cart to haul quarters out.    

Good hunting
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
I use a really neat contraption called game handlers.  It is a set of straps that allows you to use the deer or hogs weight as leverage.  Compact--- it fits in a large pocket-- I keep mine in the storage compartment of my four wheeler.  I have loaded deer larger than me onto the back of my bike solo with this rig.  I am blessed to do most of my hunting within walking distance of my house and mainly use the bike to haul, but these straps will work to get the deer into the bed of a pickup.  The price is the best part...

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
Ive thought about the best way to do this. Here is my idea: use whatever ramp you like, but use a 2X4 with a boat ratchet strap into the pickup truck load lock to ratchet up your critter.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Very nice and well thought out!  I switched to using a Jet sled and love it, but can be difficult to load into the truck by yourself....  your contraption coupled with a sled might be the ticket!

Thanks for sharing!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
I carry a sheet of half inch compessed fiber board in the bed. When I shoot an animal, after getting it to the truck, just lower the tailgate, drag the fiber board off leaving one end on the gate. Pull the animal onto the board. At this point, depending on the weight, I can either continue dragging right in to the bed or hop off, grab the lower end, lift and slide the whole shebang in to the bed. And I'm 72. Has worked like a charm so far.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
In Mass, we are required to check in game animals whole. I use a kids sled to haul the deer out, lift one end and rest on tailgate and slide the sled/deer in. Sometimes I use a game cart to haul out a deer. I am 63years old. I like the ramp idea.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
cool idea. you could truss the critter up with some cordage to stop it from flopping all over the place- the jet sled is a good idea too.

i too like to take the deer home whole- for cleanliness too- but also because we use so much of the guts.
 heart, liver, kidneys, stomach( tripe!!)- brain for frying, lungs for the dogs. and this year i am going to start processing the intestines for casings!

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Ive survived almost 30 years of loading deer without anything like this. If I were going to use anything, it would be the hoist bisch described.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
Jet sled works pretty well.  Can be used to get them out of the woods then right up in the truck.
T ZZZZ

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
Tie a rope around a tree, run the end thru a pulley secured in the front of your truck bed. Tie the other end to the critter. Drop the tailgate and pull forward. Done N done
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
Very Cool!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Keep cooler with frozen plastic bottles in it. Bone deer out and leave all the unuseable stuff where you killed it. Coyotes and possums will thank you, and you wont have to drag a deer, but carry out in your pack just what you will eat.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:00 PM »
I didn't know anything else but dragging deer for miles for my first 20 years or so hunting. Now I enjoy deboning and getting that meat cooled down as quickly as possible. A light weight tarp and game bags keeps everything clean and a cooler at the truck with frozen jugs is handy also.

Your system looks like it should work good as well.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 12:09:00 AM »
Very nice idea, Ron! It's that transition from ground to truck that concerns me as well.
Aim small,miss small

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
I think it was Gene Wensel who used a section of a ladder stand.  Lay it on the ground, pull the deer onto it, then lift one end up onto the tailgate.  Then you lift the other end and slide it in.  Probably not as easy as it sounds, but should be an improvement.
Murray Seratt

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
This was discussed some time in past history too.  At that time someone suggested you tie a length of rope, cord, whatever around one end of the critter and do your best to hoist it up enough to tie it to one corner of the pickup bed ( or car trunk).  Once secure pick the other end up and put er in !

I have, in younger days, taken and tied two straps around the buck's body, one at each end, then used them as handles.  A big buck is still a big buck, but at least there are handles that way.  Yes, hunting in Wisconsin, where you still primarily need to drag it out whole (that is changing however) , has its pitfalls.
ChuckC

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
I think that is a good invention.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
same as Eric. After breaking my back and getting 5 vertebrae's fused in 1993 I had to change the way I did things..I first made a 2 wheel deer hauler. then I bought a 2 piece deer hoist that swivels. I have a gambrel for it and have used it on over 75  deer and hogs. I replaced the hand crank winch and cable last year. I have also used it for putting heavy objects like 5500watt generators in the truck.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
If you have a stout tree near your truck here is what I do. You need two lengths of sturdy rope. Throw both over a sturdy branch and tie them both around the critters neck. Then tie the end of one to your trailer hitch and leave the last end free hanging. Now pull your truck forward and hoist the critter up to the height of your bed. Now take the free end and tie it off to a tree trunk. The critter will now be suspended by two ropes. One attached to your hitch and one tied off on a tree. Then just back up so it's suspended over the bed and untie both ends. Sounds complicated when I type it but, really it isn't.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©