3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hand placement and tiller  (Read 341 times)

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
hand placement and tiller
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:59:00 PM »
I find that putting pressure on the heel of my hand is a comfortable grip for me.
My bows are all tillered even, and have pistol grips.
When I put too much pressure on the heel of my hand, I can hear a noticable sound made by the limbs being forced out of timing.
Can anyone tell me if a particular tiller will help this? By that I mean, maybe tiller the top limb with a positive tiller.
Ken Thornhill

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hand placement and tiller
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
It would be grip adjustment a shape that fits your style. My blackwidow needs very limited heel pressure, my longbow needs alot. Let the bow tell you what it likes, or have the grip remade to your taste. Don't think tiller will fill your need.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
When you heal the bow you over stress the bottom limb. This causes the bottom limb to move faster which pulls the nocking point down causing the arrow to hit the shelf. I've done some high speed videos that show that happening. If you want to continue the way you are a negative tiller will help (top limb closer to the string) or change your grip to a lower profile.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
I shoot very high wristed, with very little heel at all. All my bows are tillered even (I shoot split fingered).

Bisch

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
I have altered my grip position for little to no pressure on the heel of my hand. It just feels uncomfortable to me. Thus my question about tiller.
BTW- I shoot 3 under.
It would be nice to have it all. LOL.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
I use a low wrist grip (watch Arne Moe's videos, I use his style) with a 1/4" positive tiller. I like wood bows too, but having a bow with adjustable tiller is a beautiful thing. Some people ignore tiller, but it matters to me.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
A good bow maker could build the bow to your specific wants or reshape the grip you have.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
This is very confusing to me also. A slight adjustment on where the bow is placed on the tillering tree makes a difference. When you are measuring to 1/8" Do you just place bow on tree as close as you can to the way you will hold it?      Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©