3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan Traditional Bowhunters shoot in Grayling  (Read 925 times)

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan Traditional Bowhunters shoot in Grayling
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
They have quite a raffle with many prizes and a good turn out.  I was lucky to win a cool basket quiver.

Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 11:31:00 AM »
Here is the hill with 2D targets all the way up and all the way down.  It's steeper and longer than it looks in the pic:

Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
View from the top.

Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
Those 2-D targets are the best I've ever seen - more realistic than the foam animals. Plus, they have really substantial backstops for those of us who have been known to miss once in a while   :eek:
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
Great pics! If I end up going it'll only be to enjoy the area and visit any vendors that show up. Recent surgery has me unable to draw a bow as well.

Anyone that can make it will not be disappointed, this is a fun, laid back shoot with lots of other cool stuff to check out nearby.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
Those 2D targets are what our club in Temperance, Tomahawk, is known for.  I think TJ does the targets for the Jamboree.  He is a star, but many of the guys at the club rival him now.  I like them better than 3Ds.

D.P.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 01:39:00 PM »
I will be there Sunday with the kids. Looking forward to it. Have not been there in over 10 years. Usually working but had a date change that opened up that Sunday!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 02:57:00 PM »
TJ and the gang to an OUTSTANDING job on the targets.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Not the best shoot from a quanity of vendor attendance standpoint, however for the money, you will not find a better place to relax and shoot bows and b.s. around a campfire.  The former home of Fred Bear Museum and the glory years of Bear Archery. It doesn't get any more traditional than that.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by wooddamon1:
Great pics! If I end up going it'll only be to enjoy the area and visit any vendors that show up. Recent surgery has me unable to draw a bow as well.

Anyone that can make it will not be disappointed, this is a fun, laid back shoot with lots of other cool stuff to check out nearby.
Hey Damon,

I'm not from the area, what other cool stuff is there to check out?

Thanks!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
There's a couple of blue ribbon trout streams in the area (Ausable included). If you're bringing a spouse along, a tour of the Old Mission Peninsula or Leelanau Peninsula award winning wineries is an hour away (may want one of you or someone to be a designated driver).  There's probably 40 wineries in the Traverse City area along with incredible restaurants if you want to extend the stay around the shoot with a spouse along and bribe her with a day of wine tasting and lunch or dinner out.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
Ron, what Ray said above and also Spike's Keg O' Nails serves up some good grub right on the strip in town. There's also a pizza joint called The Bear's Den with some Bear memorabilia on the walls. Pizza's not too shabby, either.

A nice outdoorsy art gallery sits next to a diner with a great breakfast as well. Just a beautiful area to roam and enjoy the sights if ya happen to need a break from shooting and BSing.   :saywhat:  

Higgins Lake State Park is a nice place to relax and take a swim or grill out that I try to stop at when I'm up that way. One of the cleanest lakes in NA as I understand it. Man, now I really hope I can get up there...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 05:42:00 AM »
Getting stuff together.  Headed out in the morning.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 09:26:00 AM »
I've always told folks a GREAT vacation would be to stay over for the week after Compton (great speakers and vendors) and finish with the best shoot in the state at MTB.

As Ray mentioned there are hundreds and hundreds of miles of blue ribbon trout streams within minutes of Grayling. Wineries;check. Also great charter fishing in Lake Michigan.

Mackinaw Island
Mackinaw Bridge
Soo Locks
Taquamenon Falls

Tons of world class golf courses all over northern Michigan as well.

The next few years will be early Summer's full of graduation parties. I'm looking forward to retuning to all these events. Especially MTB--you can shoot the coolest 2d (and 3d) courses to your heart's content for a bargain basement price.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
I hope to travel home across that Mackinaw Bridge and camp out a couple days in Canada up on Lake Superior, then camp out another night on Lake Huron, then on home.  I'll be 56 years young by then, so it's time to see all the Great Lakes.  :campfire:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
Ron, If you have time on the way north from the shoot, a day trip to Mackinaw Island is worth the time if you are interested in the early history of the US/Canada.   Lake Superior Provincial Park, about two hours north of Sualt St. Marie,  is a beautiful place with excellent camping on the lake.

As mentioned earlier, the shoot is a bargain.  Your whole family can shoot as much as they want for $40.  Last time I took the family to Compton it was over $120 for the family to shoot one day - my wife refuses to let us go back at that price even though it is less than a hour from home.

By the way, I can't make the shoot this year but expect to go next year.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 10:05:00 PM »
last arrow, you must have a really big fam. one day fee to shoot is $15 . kids under 18 are free.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Looks like a wonderful shoot!!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
Had a great visit with RonP out of New York. We ran into each other while I was working the merchandise booth.  Must of chatted for half an hour about the shoots available over his way and the trip my wife and I are taking later this summer to Maine.

Ron is a very generous archer who brought a great moose possibles bag for our drawing table.

We had a few new things take place this year, our  first ever coon shoot Saturday night  and Sat afternoon we honored a fallen member, Dave McKeller with a 21 arrow salute.  New board members were installed after the Saturday night raffle.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
Elk Nailer, I talked the family into going to the Compton shoot with me last year on a Sunday.  At the Gate I was told there is no daily rate and no family rate.  They requested $25 for me as a member and $25 for my 15 year old as a daughter of a member.  They wanted the $40 non member fee each for my wife and 19 year old daughter.  We discussed it at length with the 2 people working the gate because I could not see how that was correct for an organization that is trying to  get people involved in bowhunting and archery.  Obviously we didn't shoot and went to the beach instead.  It was disappointing as it is rare I get all the girls to go with me at the same time because of conflicting work, high school athletic, and college athletic schedules for all involved, especially on weekends in the summer.

On a happier note, how was the shoot this weekend. Please post pictures if you have them.  Was there a good crowd?  I had a good time at the shoot last year but couldn't make it this year.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©