3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting glove help  (Read 447 times)

Offline sticks&stringz

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting glove help
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
im thinking about buying a shooting glove, but im not sure what glove is the best. ive heard the damascus glove is the best but also it is very thin.what gloves do you guys shoot?
browning medallion 38#@28
carsage 45#@28
superjet 45#@28
homemade/custom ilf bow 45-50#@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting glove help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
Kinda' like "what's the best bow" or "what's the best arrow".  Depends on what you are looking for, your personal preferences, etc.

If you are looking for thin, Damascus would fit the bill.  I wouldn't call it "best", as it wears quick and doesn't offer a lot of protection.

Kangaroo leather has been one of the most durable in any glove I've used so far, without being too thick.

I won't buy a glove without trying it on first.  

Chad

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
The best I have used is the American Leather Big Shot Crossover. Definitely not thin tho.

That said, I am currently trying to like a tab.  But if it doesn't work out, I will go back to my old reliable, Crossover.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
Legacy kangaroo glove from big Jim's bow company, just got mine and I love the thing.
aim small miss small

Offline Jeremy Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
American Leathers Big Shot glove.   It's the first glove I've been able to shoot without finger pain.  Also the nylon gives me a very clean release.  Well worth the money.
U.S. Army Ret. CURRAHEE

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
2x on the American Leathers Big Shot Crossover .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
I shot the Damascus glove for several years, and about 3 months ago I went with American Leathers Crossover in Kangaroo leather. I absolutely love the crossover. Very comfortable, stays in place, not too thick but not too thin, no external strips , and tough as iron. I will never want to use any other glove....

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »
If you think you might like the Damascus, but would like a little more protection, try a Dura Glove.  It has nylon overlays on the fingers that give a smooth release, and they wear better than plain leather.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
I really like my American Leathers crossover Kangaroo glove. It offers me plenty of protection without a lot of bulk. Best yet it does not stretch like other gloves I tried over the years. Not a fan of the "Berlin" style, deerskin, gloves. To bulky on my fingers and stalls turned to much when shooting.

Offline JR Belk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
Black widow Stick Tite. Best glove I've ever used. I've tried many and one thing or another made me not happy with them, but not the BW.
Northern Mist Classic
Northern Mist Whisper
Northern Mist Superior

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »
Another vote for Legacy Leathers Kangaroo.  Soft, supple, smooth, but tough.

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 06:22:00 PM »
x2 for the Black Widow Stik-Tite glove.

The finger stalls fit snugly (I have long, thin fingers.  I like a snug fit to start, so that when it's broken in the stalls aren't all loose and sloppy), the stalls are long enough for a deep hook, and the leather is thick but not overly thick.  Gives good finger protection.  Comes in 2 versions-- with nylon webbing overlays on the fingers, or without the nylon.  I have both versions, and I slightly prefer the one without the nylon overlays-- you get a little better string feel without the nylon.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
I shot a Damascus glove since I started shooting traditional...(1996) until about 3 weeks ago when I bought a tab to try.  I love the Damascus for the "feel" of he string, but you will have to toughen up your fingers, and you will build up calluses on your finger tips.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
If you like the feel of the string, don't shoot heavy bows or have tough fingers the duraglove is hard to beat. The big shot crossover has more protection and is my favorite. Tried the regular big shot glove and could not feel anchor as well as the finger protection is bulky to me.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
Two of my three favorites have quite a following....American Leathers Big Shot and Black Widow Stik Tite.  The other is a Bateman STGC that I use as much as these two combined, but they're not for everyone.  

If I had to knock any of them it would be the BW....the velcro tends to wear quickly, and if you're not careful putting it on (in a hunting situation), the velcro will pull and make a horrible noise as you draw.  However, it has the best finger stalls and most supple leather of any of them....excellent if you shoot with a back quiver and handle arrows by their nock.

Bottom line....get on American Leather's web site, check out their measuring/fitting page, and be happy for a very long time.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
I just bought a Berlin glove from 3 rivers on their recommendations.  I was looking for a glove that was like a Damascus but a little thicker and the Berlin glove is exactly what I was looking for . Give 3 rivers a call and tell them what your looking for and they will hook you up.
" Live long and prosper "

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
I like the crossover also but lately I've been shooting a cordovan tipped E.W.Bateman, takes some getting use to but I'm getting a good release with it.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©