3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY backpack elk hunting food?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY backpack elk hunting food?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »
Lean hamburger mixed with Panko bread crumbs can be fried up then rinsed in warm water to remove excess fat then dehydrated and will rehydrate well and is almost like the original hamburger. Adding some seasoning to the burger before frying works well. I like to take leftover spaghetti and sauce and dehydrate it then mix in the dehydrated hamburger. Using the freezer bag method it tastes like and has the texture like my wife makes it. You can do that with chili, goulash, and many other home cooked meals. Just replace the meat with the foil pouch meats (which can be dehydrated/rehydrated) or the dried burger.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »
One thing to think about is carrying a    small thermos  (you may want the 24oz size) with it you can put your dried meal in it then add boiling water left over from breakfast. The meal will be hot and ready for lunch and you don't have to carry a stove. You can do the same at night so your breakfast is ready to eat while you heat water for your coffee and or lunch. The thermos is a bit heavy but no more than a stove and fuel you would need to do lunch away from camp.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
I like the tuna in a foil package. Different flavors. Packs easily. Tortillas and hot sauce. I pack tortillas in a water bottle.
Almonds, raisins mixed together. Peanut butter and honey also. I like the cotton balls in coconut oil idea.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
Clint no wonder you're so skinny, that's one day of food for me!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
You can make your own dehydrated meals pretty simple. I dont do the outwest thing but camp/kayak alot and that is what I do - much better - much much healthier! and youll be alot more "regular" as well!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
Ben, those are some great ideas.  I have a dehydrator and am always looking for new things to do with it.

This topic is full of good ways to eat in the back country.  I may never go into the back country again, but a lot of these things are also very useful in a base camp.   :thumbsup:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
One thing I will be taking again is landjaeger suasages. I love those things for lunch with a little cheese.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 07:31:00 AM »
One thing we are doing this year on our Moose hunt is what I call caloric engineering.  Calculate the number of calories it takes to run your body normally.  With me it's about 2000 a day.  Now add the exercise for the hunt and adjust the number.
With our moose hunt I calculate about 3000-3500 cals per day to maintain fitness and health.

So now as I make and dehydrate meals and make energy bars etc. I have a goal to provide 3500 cals per day each for John and myself.

One of the worst feelings is to be half way through your hunt and out of energy and have to quit.  I've had it happen and seen it happen to others.  

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Good point Mike. I've had it happen to me several times on solo hunts. After hunting hard cooking and eating was the last thing I wanted to do, but it is critical to the success of your hunt. So plan meals that are simple, quick, high in calories, and are very appetizing or you'll have a hard time getting the energy and strength you need.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
I really liked bagels with nut butter and trail mixes. I will not eat mountain house products for reasons involving internal organ systems which I will not share here lol

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
I'm using the Kraft skillet dinners as my base and adding 1.5# of moose burger instead of the 1#.  Also I have additional cheese packets to add when rehydrating.  These run about $2.50 each and will make two meals.  Should be able to get 750 cals per serving if done right.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Mikewarren33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
Yo pistolpete, what's the story on the fish oil pills? My body always hurts so bad when I wake up in the morning after long days of crushing mountains. What kind do you use? The only thing I found about them with regards to soreness and body recovery is that they "help support bone health".

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
The ratios of protein, carbs and fat are important too.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
I also like the individual servings of tuna.  Last time I took small zip lock baggies with pre measured minute rice.  Boil water, dump the rice in and let it set for a couple minutes. I took the packets of individual slices of Spam and would dice it up and put it in with the rice.  A little hot sauce and it was a pretty dang good meal.

A lot of the stuff you eat three days back in the mountains by yourself is bland.  I take a zip lock baggie and fill it with individual packets of ketchup, mustard, texas pete, A-1 sauce, Soy sauce etc.  I picked up all of them at various fast food spots.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 07:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mikewarren33:
Yo pistolpete, what's the story on the fish oil pills? My body always hurts so bad when I wake up in the morning after long days of crushing mountains. What kind do you use? The only thing I found about them with regards to soreness and body recovery is that they "help support bone health".
Mike, I think it has to do with the anti-inflammatory qualities, but I'm not sure. I buy Costco brand, and end up taking what amounts to 3-5000 mg of Omega-3's per day. I take them at home too, and when I stop taking them, my knees tell me. Last trip, I forced them onto my buddy, and he was amazed that his shoulder (which had been giving him problems) didn't hurt the entire trip. So it really seems to help joints - though I don't know about body/muscle aches. But regardless of whether or not it even helps, it definitely provides a lot of cheap calories.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
Here is a good site for good meal info.    Backpacking chef

Offline Mikewarren33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
Much appreciated Mr. PistolPete.

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
PistolPete...I like your stove idea and had actually been looking at similar DIY options on Bushcrafting sites.  I am guessing you get it going with the cotton balls then feed with twigs?  Just makes sense to me to use what fuel is already all around the mountain!   Those fancy little fuel stoves cost a bunch too...

Dan

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »
I tried the little DIY gasifier stove a few years ago but didn't like it for extended trips. Heat control if you want to do anything but boil water is a problem, multiple rainy days are a pain with them, and the overall time it costs to use on a hunt isn't worth it for me. They are a fun project for casual trips though.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
My hunting partner carries a Kelty Kettle and we use that for 95% of the cooking.  I carry a DIY cat stove in case it is raining or too wet.  For boiling water the kelty Kettle is the ticket.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©