3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Four Fletch  (Read 3635 times)

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Four Fletch
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Captain*Kirk:
Not to be the fly in the ointment, but...
*4 fletch DOES add a significant cost per dozen...
*4 fletch also adds a 25% increase in damage vulnerability, though I've shot 3 fletch with half a feather missing with no visible flight issues.
Just food for thought.
Going to have to disagree to an extent. I can get two 4" feathers out of a full length feather, and only one 5" feather out of the same full length feather.
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
COST????? COST?????....COST of a FEATHER??????

If I can't afford an extra feather on my arrow ....maybe I need to find another 'hobby'

I'd rather spend another dollar than loose an animal.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dry Creek:

Originally posted by Captain*Kirk:
Not to be the fly in the ointment, but...
*4 fletch DOES add a significant cost per dozen...
*4 fletch also adds a 25% increase in damage vulnerability, though I've shot 3 fletch with half a feather missing with no visible flight issues.
Just food for thought.
Going to have to disagree to an extent. I can get two 4" feathers out of a full length feather, and only one 5" feather out of the same full length feather. [/b]
Wasn't thinking in those terms...you are correct. I was thinking in terms of the arrow builder who buys pre-cut/pre-stained feathers by the dozen. It adds maybe 10 bucks to the price, no not a big deal to most. But still something to consider in the long run.
Aim small,miss small

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
I'm not fan of any man.....

I'm more concerned about what I do and where I do it and how  well it works than I do  what someone tells me I should do who has no experience on what I do yet they do it on another continent with other animals...... who also admits they don't shoot very well which to me is Paramount..... someone maybe needs to spend more time shooting than studying

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 03:28:00 PM »
I shoot both 3 and 4 and see no difference in performance between 5" 3 and 4" 4. I can usually get 2 4" chopped out of a full length feather so it works out better for me. You do get double the use before wearing out too.  
Same for me.  I usually shoot 3 x 5", but I plan to go to 4 x 4" because I chop my own and you can usually get two 4" fletches from a full length feather.  Used to get two 5" from most every one, but that was several years ago.

Offline Jabar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
I smell a RAT!!!!

And is the Doc REALLY a Doc or just pretending to be?????

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »
Terry , I like the way you think .
I couldn't tell you any of the numbers for the FOC of my arrows , I don't care . If it works , I use it .
My whole reason for going to 4 fletch is because many years ago I shot a deer at about 8 feet and the arrow slid down the rib cage cutting 4 ribs before it turned into the front of the lungs .
I figured the arrow must have been in paradox and the head hit at an angle to the flight .
I'm hoping the 4 fletch will prevent that at close range .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
FOC is More HYPE....the weight of the arrow and arrow flight is MUCH more important than the weight of your Bhead.  
Amen!

I use 3 x 5 1/2 inch feathers that are very high back parabolic.  Same theory as 4 x 4 and I started out using 4 x 4 also.  More feather for hunting is better!

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
I remember years ago trying to shoot a copperhead in the head at point-blank range and I missed three times I backed up and reloaded and my friend said what are you doing and I said I can't hit the snake in the head because of the Paradox the next shot drill the head and killed it dead center from about eight yards

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
To add to what others have already said, I would like to mention that it is a little easier to follow the arrow in flight when using a four fletch.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I generally use 4 x 4" at 90* as well. Plenty of stability and zero thought when nocking an arrow.

Terry, I was looking at your 60 "Bloody Parachutes" picture and couldn't quite figure out what, if any, fletch color you preferred.  
 :bigsmyl:

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
4x4 at 90 here. Shield look cooler but parabolic quieter, if that matters.

Love to read the passion some have for traditional archery. Graps, good to hear you are willing to try something different, that's how we learn what works best for each individual.

Terry talks the talk and can certainly walk the walk and agree with his posts and reasons for using his chosen gear(100yds in the dark is one heck of a shot), however I think it could be misunderstood, probably just me reading more into it. I am sure he will jump in a correct me if he thinks I am wrong. I did this at 60yds a while back and the results would be greater at 100yds. Shot nearly identicle arrows only differ by fletch from same bow with a sight pin at 60 yds. One 4x4 low profile banana other 4x4 5 1/2 shields. Actually shot several configurations to learn but these were at opposite ends of the spectrum. The lower profile fletched shaft hit significantly higher than the high back shields. So at 100yds the difference is there at these extremes. At hunting ranges we typically shoot it don't matter if its 3x5 or 4x4. If you shoot the same fletch all the time you learn your trajectory so find what works well and stick with it.
shoot straight shoot often

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
So I get my fletching jig out , clean the aluminum shafts with acitone , set up the jig for four fletch , get six feathers in the clamps , grab the fletching glue that I haven't used in over a year and $#@%&$ ,,, the glue is solid as a rock .    :banghead:  
OK , I have a bottle of Gateway fletching glue .
Used that .
Never set up .
I do not recommend any Gateway product .
That's all I have to say about that .Have some of the good stuff on order .
Guess I didn't need to fletch up these arrows today .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
I use both 4-fletch 4" shields and 3-fletch 5" shields...  If I'm shooting a 2 or 4 blade I'll have 4-fletch, and the head will be vertical.  Then it doesn't matter which way I nock the arrow...  When shots come fast and furious with dangerous critters it can make the difference between a good hit and a marginal hit...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Graps:
So I get my fletching jig out , clean the aluminum shafts with acitone , set up the jig for four fletch , get six feathers in the clamps , grab the fletching glue that I haven't used in over a year and $#@%&$ ,,, the glue is solid as a rock .     :banghead:  
OK , I have a bottle of Gateway fletching glue .
Used that .
Never set up .
I do not recommend any Gateway product .
That's all I have to say about that .Have some of the good stuff on order .
Guess I didn't need to fletch up these arrows today .
Dale, do let me know how they turn out...good or bad. I might just try a few myself.
Aim small,miss small

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
Some I recently made up...

Four, 4" feathers at 90 degrees.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
Sure look nice!
Aim small,miss small

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 01:55:00 AM »
I always use four fletch. I like the fast recovery out of the bow. I also like not having to worry about a cock feather when watching an animal.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
I use what works for me and that is 4x4" @90
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
My father was a machinist and made a 4 fletch @ 60/120 index for his fletching jig. If you set your nock height correctly , they seem to clear the sight window on older bows better than @90 and straighten out just as quickly. Obviously you have to glue your nock on your arrow properly.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©