3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Four Fletch  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Four Fletch
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 09:42:00 PM »
I pretty much echo the points already made.  I have been using 4 x 4" set up for quiet a while. Fletching that hits the shelf lasts twice as long, and with a little rotation of the nock, lasts four times as long. Much easier in low light or quick shots to get to string and shoot.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by mangonboat:
My father was a machinist and made a 4 fletch @ 60/120 index for his fletching jig.  
If your not a machinist, 60/120 can also be achieved by using your 3 fletch adapter. Simply fletch two feathers, then take arrow off jig, rotate 180 degrees, place back on jig, and fletch the other two feathers.
Or you can put three on, flip arrow, and do three more. And have 6@60 degrees.    :eek:
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline JR Belk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
I love four fletched arrows. I fletch most of my woods 4/4. Some arrows will get a standard 3 fletch if they're small diameter. I've never noticed any real negative effect on distance shots either.
Northern Mist Classic
Northern Mist Whisper
Northern Mist Superior

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
I may have fletched a few up many years ago. I can't remember. Now I will have to fletch a couple, just to see for myself.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 11:13:00 AM »
Never used 4 fletch, just three, gonna use 4 this year? No reason - just gotta try something different.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
]web page[/URL] I just think they are cool
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
]web page[/URL] I just think they"re cool looking.   :archer2:
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
Ooooo , thems perdy .   :thumbsup:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
Thems some lookers for sure!! I love the 4 fletch!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
4 4" feathers, 90x90. Enough said for me.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
I recently switched to 4 feathers. The arrow stabilizes quickly, and I don't have to care how I put the arrow on the string.

I like it!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
I have been shooting 4/5" shields for quite a few years, but I have recently started getting and shooting 4/4" low profile banana feathers from Josh (feathers by the dozen) and they shoot great. By far my favorite feathers!!!    :thumbsup:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
I may try 4-fletch but I have two questions that might of already been mentioned. I'm on my phone at work so not enough time to read everything in this thread so apologize if this is redundant..

1. do any of you notice when fletching with 4-fletch if the arrows shoot better after the fletching breaks in,, shooting cock feather in I've noticed the arrows just shoot nicer or get smoother once the fletching ends soften.

2nd.  I know a few said theres no difference in trajectory, but with 4 fletch do you keep the same size fletching or drop to a lower size if your arrows are already tuned for 3 fletch.
"Us vs Them"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
I've shot 3-fletch for about 60 years.  For those who fear mixing up and placing the cock feather in during times of high tension, let me tell you, it doesn't matter.  In fact, a lot of folks shoot cock feather in for better arrow clearance.

The only thing I have against 4-fletch is is purely cosmetic.  Most who shoot four fletch shoot 4-inch feathers.  To me, they just look too short on the arrow.  That probably comes from looking at 5-inch feathers for the past 60 years.

Imagine my reaction when I see 3-inch or shorter feathers on arrows.  This old school, old fella can hardly take it.

Yeah, I know I could shoot 5-inch four fletch, but that's just more than I need.  Going to give 4-inch 4-fletch a try and see if I can get my mind around them.    :bigsmyl:

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
4x4" stabilizes more like 3x5 1/2" than 3x5", to me.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Orion...I shoot 5 inch four fletch(as in the photo)...I want paradox reduced right this damn minute for the scenarios I use hunting hogs at times.....the other times when its not needed, like 60 yard shots at gofers.....I don't care...cause I'm covered either way.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
Terry , my eyes play tricks on me . When I just read your post I saw golfers .    :scared:  
But I think that would be OK too .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HALFCAWKT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
I switched to 4"x4 fletch a few months ago and tend to echo all the things that have been said already.  I started with5.5"x3, than went to 4"x3 shields because of Wyoming cross winds and getting two from a FL feather.

Ran out of feathers one day and had to go to local shop to buy a dozen.  All he had were paras, so got them because need arrows asap. My only complaint with para is everyone uses it.  So I grabbed my strait clamp and cut the last roughly half inch off the quill.  Now my arrows are very easily distinguished from others with the modified para 4"x4 fletch configuration.
I was known for going off half cocked in my youth, which brings me to a favorite quote...     "Good judgement comes from experience,  and a lot of that comes from BAD judgement."

Offline Squirrel Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
Some years ago I did some fairly extensive computer modeling and some controlled experiments on fletching effects. I found that the arrow stabilizing effect depends only on total feather area and degree of helical or offset -- feather shape and three or four fletch make no difference. Arrow drag also depends only on area and degree of helical -- there's no way to get one without the other.

Of course, there are other reasons to use or reject four fletch, like cost, ease of fletching, nocking, visibility, etc, but not stabilization.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
Squirrel hunter. Wouldn't four 4-inch fletch have as much or more surface area than three 5-inch fletch?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©