3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Changed my routine  (Read 256 times)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Changed my routine
« on: June 26, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
Since hunting season is getting a little closer I've changed up my practice routine. After some advice from other posts here, I'm not shooting groups. My new practice session is only 15 shots. I get one arrow, and shoot 12 shots from different distances and angles from 10 to 25 yards. After those 12 shots, I grab 3 arrows and climb up in the tree stand in my yard and shoot 3 arrows into a 15 yard target. Then I'm done until the next day. Shooting less really allows me to focus on my basics and make sure my form is perfect. And the moving around and different angles is more realistic for how it will be in hunting situations from ground blinds. Of course the tree stand practice is important too. In the next few days, even though the heat is horrible here I'm going to start shooting in my ghillie suit and in heavy hunting clothes just to see what if any adjustments I'll have to make. I'll probably start shooting from my ground blind stool some as well as from my knees.

With all that said, I just got into this back in December. I'm stoked to see it all coming together, and pretty much everything I've learned I've learned right here. So I'd like to thank y'all for all the tips and advice. This is a huge step for me, but I think if the right offer comes along on my compound I'm gonna sell it. I don't see myself ever going back.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changed my routine
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
I hardly ever shoot more than a single arrow...best way I know to always be thinking like a bowhunter...groups are for target archers

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
IMO you method works well for hunting. After all it's the usually the first shot of the day when hunting.

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
I had a compound many years ago and it was fun. I decided to to try traditional probably 25 yrs ago. It was pointed out to me at a 3D shoot that the people that seemed to having the most fun were all traditional shooters. I never looked back and it has been really fun.
I like your new routine. I should give it a try myself.
NRA Life Member

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
I find the less you shoot the better you shoot, you have more concentration to make the shot count other then slinging arrows and picking up bad habits. Good routine buddy keep us posted how your doing.
kyle
aim small miss small

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Way to change it up .    :thumbsup:    :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
I like your to thinking. I forced the guy I was shooting with at the 3d range today that there was no second arrow from the same spot. On some targets we shout 3-4 arrows by walking in and around 25, 20  15, 10 yardish. Distance really didn't matter. Just walk up and shoot. I was trying to shot groups but ever arrow from a totally different spot. I'm also considering trying to shoot 300 consecutive perfect kill shots. Again all from different shots between 10 and 25 yards. Keeping track of all kill shots and if I'm outside the lung area the count starts over. Those 300 shots are all not in one session of course. It sounds crazy and a lot to keep track of but I have in my head that if I can shoot 300 consecutive kill shots I'm confident I can make any shot in my hunting area.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©