3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Side Plate Tuning Issues  (Read 398 times)

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
Side Plate Tuning Issues
« on: June 26, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
I have a bear hair rest and the strike plate that comes with it on my 45# @ 28 Samick Sage.  Arrows are GT 3555 traditional cut to 29.5" with factory insert and 125 grain points. They are tuning weak and hitting left.  I took the side plate off and got them hitting right. Anyone have any advice or similar experience with the bear side plate? I am drawing right around 27.5

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side Plate Tuning Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Nothing to do with the make of the side plate...what you did is brought the arrow closer to centreshot...I have a few bows I shoot with no sideplate...lots of people tune by adjusting sideplate thickness...one great advantage of using a cushion plunger setup

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
If you're right handed and the arrows are hitting left, they are showing stiff.  

You would need to increase the point weight, or, reduce the side plate thickness, as you did, which, in bringing the shaft closer to the center of the bow, requires a stiffer shaft.  

If the arrows are now impacting to the right, removing the rest moved the arrow too close to the center of the bow and you will need to build the side plate back out a little.

On the other hand, if "got them hitting right" means they're shooting where you want them to, you're set to go.  Maybe put a thin piece of leather or tape on the side plate to cut down on noise.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 03:29:00 PM »
I put 150 and 200 grain points up front and they made the problem worse which made me think they were too weak. The 200 grain almost made them fly sideways. That was amusing in that palm to face kind of way. The tune isn't far off with 125s. I wonder if my arrows hitting left is a form issue. Not getting my eye over the arrow or back tension maybe?

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
you're stiff. I use gt trad 1535 with 175 grain tips (bare shaft tuned) my draw 27 45@28 Rt handed bow with 291/2 arrows gt trads with gt insert(11grns) 3 4 fletch. with 3555s your hitting the riser giving a false week
 http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html

As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
I agree with bldtrailer. you're drawing right around 43#, and a 3555 cut down at all is going to be way too stiff; especially with 125gr points.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©