3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What archery target is the best for the money?  (Read 733 times)

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
What archery target is the best for the money?
« on: June 27, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Over the years I have shot a plethora of archery targets. I found the longest lasting were bag type that I could recover. If I remember correctly I believe I had a bag target that I shot for about four years and I replaced the cover several times until you could no longer find a cover made specifically for the target. I then started covering it with burlap bags though they did not last as long as the fiber reinforced poly bags made for it did.

I drifted away from bag type targets and went to the layered foam targets because I liked the way the arrows stuck into the target. You never had those "hang down" arrows that you could hit and cut into. You know, the ones you would think you wouldn't hit and always did. Anyway, I like the foam type targets better than the bag type so my question is, for the money, who makes the best and longest lasting foam targets?

As I stated I have shot the layered foam targets and they are ok. Of the layered I believe the ones that are welded together are better than the ones that are banded together. I have shot the Block that has a layered core but is solid foam on the outside. It is the type I have been shooting for the past three years and one will last me about a year with at least one and sometimes two repairs with several cans of expandable foam.

Again, I would like to know from you guys that have shot lots of different kinds of targets what you have found to be the best for the money spent.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What archery target is the best for the money?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
Many,many years ago i had a Big Shot bag target that sat out all year long uncovered for 15+ years. The fill inside was some kind of white thin synthetic like threads, looked like cotton almost. When it was time for a new target i just got replacement bag target covers and put the old stuffing in and good to go. It holds arrows tight. Haven't found anything better yet.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
I've been using compressed straw bales from tractor supply recently.  Under $20 and have been holding up to broadheads also...

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
Check out the Spyder Web targets. I recently bought one and I've been happy with it.

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
I have been shooting a Spyder target for about 4 years now. Hands down the best target ever.
We can get blob targets here that are very good, I don't know if their available elsewhere. They are made here in Ga from carpet backing materiel that I believe is left over from making carpet. Heavy but last forever.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
I also been using compressed straw bales from tractor supply. Here, they run $11 each. The bands go around the outside, so no danger of hitting them and busting the bale. The things weight 50lbs, and are slightly bigger then the biggest block targets. You do need to get them off the ground, and use a tarp or some other protection  to make them last. Any target wears out, but if you shoot a lot, it gets costly. With the compressed bale, i might go through 2 a year, maybe 3 tops....thats $33 a year max....cant be beat for as nice as they are. I leave mine in the bag they come in to provide more protection.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »
I'm a fan of the rhinehart rhinoblock.  Replaceable core is a must for me.  It's expensive, but I have had the same one for a long time now, I just keep replacing the core.

Just my two cents.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
I bought a Rhinehart 3d....the broadhead buck that is the good self healing foam through out the core and body. I shot it for 1 month with field tips only, and my arrows have already started sticking out the backside of the core 6". The core is $50. If I continue to shoot the same amount, it would take a minimum of 6 cores a year (if I get another month out of it), based on I will slow down for a couple months during deer season. A minimum of 4 cores for absolute certain. Thats $200 a year even for 4. I love the Rhinehart 3D, but cannot hold up to the merciless pounding I give it. I shoot most every day, and average 100 arrows a session. The target itself will last years, but i will go flat butt broke replacing cores in it. I'll use it to prep for season, and pound the $11 compressed bales the rest of the year...lol

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
Blob target, $135 shipped anywhere in the lower 48. Mine is 18 X 18 X 10. Shooting field points, I don't know if you could wear it out. I've pounded it with broadheads and it  didn't hurt it much at all.

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
X2 on Big Shot Target.... everything they make is great and holds up well.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by two4hooking:
I've been using compressed straw bales from tractor supply recently.  Under $20 and have been holding up to broadheads also...
Yep these are the cheapest and as good as anything
" Live long and prosper "

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
I had one of the extra large blob targets and while it was very durable it was almost impossible to get broadheads out of they stuck so tight you had to put your leg up against the target and use your leg to pull them out.. still have a big scar on my thigh were a Magnus Stinger came loose all of the sudden and before I could stop it had cut thru my pant leg and about a 1/4 in. into my leg..
 after I got tired of trying to get broadheads out I ended up pitching it, would flat wear you out trying to get them out. Right now I'm using a old McKenzie Caribou target that was given to me and has had body glued back together and core repaired with spray foam, but it will sure take some abuse, plus body is so big you can shoot different areas all the time, just stick a leaf on the the body and shoot at it.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline FlintNSteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
For long lasting performance, the stuffed bag targets have provided the best service to me.  I have one in my basement and one outside.

I also own a 3D target or two of various brands over time, and a block layered target for broadheads.  But the bags just keep soaking up arrows and only require a new outer bag replacement from time to time and since the backs "bulge" out after a shooting session, I "stomp" on it to get the whole thing flat again.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?"  Primal Dreams

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 01:45:00 AM »
Blob target
I love Bow Hunting

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
I think the rineheart 18 in 1 is a tough one to beat. and unlike a lot of them it is easy to bring with you.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
Blob target, $135 shipped anywhere in the lower 48. Mine is 18 X 18 X 10. Shooting field points, I don't know if you could wear it out. I've pounded it with broadheads and it  didn't hurt it much at all.
I checked these out and you can get that size for $90 shipped. The 20x20x12 is $135 and they have a 3'x4' that is also availabe. These look interesting

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
My longest lasting target has been a bag target. I've had it so long I don't remember who made it.
Sam

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
http://bulldogtargets.com/contents/en-us/d1_archery_targets.html  

These things are great and you can replace the cover, I have replaced the cover a few times for about $12 shipped.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Hmm, TSC just opened nearby, and I'm due for a new target.  Think I'll give one of those bales a try.
Jim

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
for the money build one of these
 http://archeryreport.com/2011/04/diy-lifetime-archery-target/  

or buy a BLOB
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©