3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kifaru Tarryall---Your thoughts or reviews on this pack for trad hunting?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I am seriously considering this pack for single day or overnight trad hunting adventures.  $530 is a significant sum to throw down for a backpack considering that my previous packs have been more in the $50 range.  

I checked the bag out at Kifaru International in Denver last week and I liked it, but I would like to hear your thoughts on the bag if you have one or have used one.

Thanks.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
I've never been one to shy away from spending money on packs, but I couldn't spend that on a pack that size.  For me the benefit of a Kifaru suspension is for carrying heavy loads, and I'd want a bigger pack to do that.

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
I agree with the Biathlonman.
You can get a REAL nice Kuiu for a lot less $$$.
I do like the Kifaru Warrior very much, very large cross section of duties.  JMHO.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the input regarding cost and available alternatives.  It is good information and I appreciate it.  This may be a scenario where I am simply in love with the corvette...

I am under the impression that most people are extremely satisfied with Kifaru products.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
For a daypack check out Tenzing or Badlands.

If you feel the need to spend more, check out the Bison Gear stuff.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
i have the spikecamp and timberline 2 packs and a supertarp. kifaru gear is made to last!

for day pack and overnight use have you considered the spikecamp or 14'r? i can overnight easily with 2400ci. if you need more room add some side pockets. both these packs are cheaper than the tarry all too.  
the tarryall has too many sewn in specialized pockets for me, like the pouch that fits binos. my binos are almost never in my daypack. i prefer a more bare pack and adding or taking away pockets etc when needed rather than having them there all the time. not sure where the cost would run with pockets depending on your choice but it would be more versatile.

with a grab-it and lash straps my spikecamp is capable of hauling whole deer when needed. i've had 100 pounds on it.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Why not get the UL frame and an Apollo, then if you want to go more heavy duty, you just buy another bag to put on the frame and maybe the different stays. But all you have to do to go a few days with the Apollo is throw a durable dry bag on the meat shelf and a guide lid and your golden! It has a nice sleeve for carrying extra arrows but without broadheads. My wife runs this setup and I'm pretty envious of it. My advice with this particular setup for daypack use is the frame, medium belt pocket, mini belt pocket and nalgene pocket and bottle. Nalgene bottle is way better for staying hydrated especially if you like to use some sort of drink mix. Then if you want to extend your use, add a Guide Lid and you can put an extra belt pocket on the outside of the Guide Lid. Most of what you're seeing is the guide lid in the picture! Rmsgear now carries Kifaru for info sake

David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Good information, guys, thanks!  A lot to think about.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've got so many windows open on my computer now that it's not even funny...
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
Fun,  Isn't it
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
:D
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
I've got so many windows open on my computer now that it's not even funny...
HaHa! It's a lot to lay out money wise, but the resale value is unbelievable, I seen a new used frame sell for $16 bucks less than new from Kifaru price on the big auction sight! So if something don't work out, you won't be out much! Sending you a PM
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
I love np the mountain warrior pack by kifaru, I don't have the experience with it to go any further that. I don't mind spending money on good solid equipment but I just not gonna get to use it as much as I want to warrant the money? That doesn't sound right but hope you get my drift lol.

I do a lot of hiking and camping, backpacking but not enough to warrant that change$ -

They are the corvette period! Go to carry 85 lbs (bag of corn) in one for a few miles and it just didn't seem like that much weight? Still amazed!

Best of luck -

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Been eyeballing the Tarryall too, looks like a perfect day/multi day pack. Used a badlands 2200 for several years now and thinking of upgrading, although it has never failed me. I like the option for having pockets on the belt, especially the nalgene holder.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
I've guide an older Kifaru pack and don't my spending the money.  For that size pack I'll happily run a Hill People Gear and save some money.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gregg, all you need to do is to take Reed with you. That boy is so big, you could load him up like a pack mule without weighting him down much.

I am not familiar with the pack you have mentioned, but I agree with some of the others. $500+ is a lot of money for a day pack. But a Corvette sure is sexy...

Hope to see what you get when I see you at the Fall Rendezvous.
Sam

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
This is going to cost me a lot of money.  LOL

The bag du joir is the Kifaru Nomad.

Too many options out there...
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
This is going to cost me a lot of money.  LOL

The bag du joir is the Kifaru Nomad.

Too many options out there...
That's what I have! It will haul Just about anything between the wings! Only real complaint I have is when you have something strapped in, you really can't get to any of the pockets on the pack itself without unstrapping everything which isn't a huge deal but it is a drawback. That's one of the reasons a guide lid is crucial with that bag in my opinion. Today we hiked locally and I strapped in a 30# and a 20# bag of kitty litter for training weight and it didn't slip or slide or move at all!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do you have the "camp bag" to use between the wings?  I was thinking with the camp bag and grab it and I would be set for most contingencies.
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Yes I have camp bag, it actually attaches and you could get away without the grab it but I do use mine. And when I say you could get away without it, that rides on you having the camp bag in all the time and using it. If you are strapping stuff in without using the camp bag, you will want the grab it. Make sense? You will eventually want a guide lid, it's the most used part of my setup next to the belt pockets!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©