3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Trad Gangers in ne Wisconsin or South Central U.P.?  (Read 718 times)

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
Any Trad Gangers in ne Wisconsin or South Central U.P.?
« on: October 23, 2007, 01:24:00 AM »
By northeast Wisconsin I mean, Florence, Forest, or Marinette counties. Or in the U.P. Dickinson, Menominee, or Iron counties.

With 13,978 members now (last I checked) I was just wondering if there was another tradganger (or lurker) that was closer to my local than 80-100+ miles. It would be great to be able to get together and shoot or hunt with someone who likes the same stuff(or at least similar) as I do. I've only ever met three trad gangers in real life, and now that I think about it two of those were pre-Trad Gang. lol I'm beginning to wonder if I should change my handle to lonewolf. lol

I guess with Florence county only having a population of around 5800 the chances are slim, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Trad Gangers in ne Wisconsin or South Central U.P.?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Green Bay, hunt Florence and Forest
"no sleep 'til 55"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I got a place in Delta Cty(Ford River) that I hope to retire to in about 6 years.  Otherwise I am currently in Madison.
ChuckC

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
stripe55, do you hunt the nicolet?

ChuckC, I get to Escanaba once in a while. Gimme a holler when you're up here.

Offline longshadow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
I live in Oconto Falls, Oconto Cty, about 90 miles south of Florence. Most of my family and in-laws live in or around Florence. I hunt around home half of the time and I use to hunt the potato fields out Montgomery lake road but now my son-in -law and I have bought a 40 just west of Florence, the iron ore ridge up US 2 across from 1st Crossing. I was hoping to get up there this weekend, but not sure yet. Where in Spread Eagle do you live/hunt.  I don't know of any traditional hunters in Florence except you...  We'll have to get together next time I am up....  Let me know how the rut is going there.
Thanks,  Al

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
Al, my daughter went to school in Florence with a girl that had your last name. Prolly related huh?   ;)  

I live off US2 coupla miles from Iron Mountain opposite north lake road kinda catty corner across form the old Spread Eagle trading post (now a garden center). I have hunted on my place, the brule dam in Florence, Niagara, and In the U.P. up by Sagola. I have permission to hunt some new spots one is off of north montgomery lake road, and the other is off finntown road in Florence/Commonwealth. I have also been looking into hunting the barrens. Now if I only had some time, I'd be set. lol

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Gillett, wi
 I hunt in the backyard and in Forest COunty (Wabeno)

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Jim, I've been through wabeno a time or two. How's the huntin there?

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Wabeno!??? Heck My moms side grew up in Carter. I use to ride my bike to Wabeno. Man I use to love it up there.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
Go to school in DePere.  Hunt Navarino.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by sticshooter  
Wabeno!??? Heck My moms side grew up in Carter
That's funny My wifes dads family is from Crandon and their last name is Carter. I asked him once if there was any connection to the town of Carter and he said "not that I know of" .

mmgrode, navarino? Never heard of that place before where is it?

edit: ok I just googled it, it's near Shawano. I guess I always consider(wrongly of course) northern Wisconsin to be from Crivitz on up.

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
I grew up in Wabeno so I know the area well. THe bowhunting is OK. There are a lot of cornpiles in the area and I usually won't even try and bowhunt on the weekend (grouse hunt instead) because of all the activity. I own 85 acres with my brother and have watched the deer walk right through our food plots on the way to the corn feast. You can find areas early in the season and hunt the deer normally but after the second week in Oct. most of deer are nocturnal until the rut. I have been seeing an increase in the scraping and buck activity(cameras)so prime time is getting close.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
Jim,    
have watched the deer walk right through our food plots on the way to the corn feast.
lol

that's how it is up here too. I'm learning (slowly)that sometimes the bait piles can work in your favor if you can find a place to intercept them on their way to the "feast".

Offline CheeseHead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Opposite corner...I'm in SW Wisconsin, but its always nice to see a fellow Cheesehead.  :D

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Hey there CheeseHead. Get any big Iowa deer up your way?

Offline stripe55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Hey BBB, just got back from the land of bait piles (and  newly formed sub-divisions).  The hunting was brutal, but time at camp great none the less. Seven of us and nary an arrow loosed, hardly any deer observed. Little to no sign and I am taking my hunting south nearer home. I have hunted Forest and Florence since 1980, before the baiting craze and the huge herd increase(and subsiquent plumet) Those early days saw few but large deer, acting like deer. The baiting took hold in the mid to late 80's and we thought that stunk but we still had the swamps and clear cuts for success.  Then the early to mid 90's saw the end to the clear cuts, the sale of the big timber company land in small parcels.... ouch.  That said, it is still one of my favorite places in the world even if I can't stand the negative change.  I would love to get sometrad guys together as I have much to learn about the gear as I hope to make myself much more self sufficient in reguards to trad !!
"no sleep 'til 55"

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
newly formed sub-divisions...the sale of the big timber company land in small parcels
Too true! I've only been up here for 5 years now and I can see a lot of changes since '02.     "[dntthnk]"

Offline D. Johnston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
I live in Northern Minnesota now, but I make it back your way to hunt at least once a year. I went to college in Marquette, and had friends that were from Loretto, Norway and Iron Mountain. I spent some great years hunting outside of Iron Mountain, near Pine creek. Lately I have been hunting at a friends camp outside of Powers on Hwy. 2 toward Escanaba. Thats some nice country there.

Online Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Half way between Suring and Mountain, WI in Oconto county right next to Menominee county. Been to Florence and Iron Mountain a few times but never to hunt.  Deer hunting has been slow here but starting to pick up, more sign, etc.

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
BBB,

Wish you would have started this a couple of weeks ago.  I just got back from spending a few days around Pembine.  I live in Utah now but grew up hunting near Dunbar and Pembine and anywhere in between.  I am not too old, 30, but this will make me sound old.  When I first started bowhunting up there in the mid 90's you could pick an oak ridge and see deer.  Or maybe I was a better hunter when I was 13 and didn't know it.  

Anyway, the Northwoods is tough but it is great.  I spent 3 days hunting and saw a grand total of 0 deer.  The curse of the Northwoods strikes again.  I was happy to see quite a bit of new logging.  Some clearcuts, not huge but they don't need to be, and some select cuts.  I think that if you hunt an area for more than 30 years you will start to see the logging cycles.  I think the area I was used to hunting is coming back into the cut rotation.

Well, if I go back next year I will resurect this thread or something and maybe we can start a tradgang rendezvous in Northeast Wisconsin.

Nathan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©